Goosebumps

Discussion in 'General' started by r_burgos2003, Aug 23, 2003.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, for some reason everyone who remembers the show remembers the Zeebo the clown episode, and that's not even one of their better episodes. I never really got the whole "fear of clowns" thing.

But there were so many fantastic episodes throughout the run. As far as TV horror anthologies go, I'd put it second only to Tales From The Crypt

Personal favorites would be:
    The Tale Of The Nightly Neighbors
    The Tale Of The Prom Queen
    The Tale Of The Midnight Madness
    The Tale Of The Frozen Ghost
    The Tale Of The Shiny Red Bicycle
    The Tale Of Old Man Corcoran
    The Tale Of Watcher's Woods
    The Tale Of The Dream Girl
    The Tale Of The Silent Servant
    The Tale Of The Room For Rent
    The Tale Of The Ghastly Grinner
    The Tale Of The Dead Man's Float
    The Tale Of The Night Shift

Wish they'd release the TV seasons in the US, these would be perfect for Shout Factory.

If we're talking quality kid's horror shows, I would also highly recommend Big Wolf On Campus. Not even remotely scary, but genuinely funny and incredibly entertaining. It's basically Buffy for boys.

2. CPT HOOK

I was just poking around the full episodes on YouTube and noticed they replaced the wonderful use of "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins in this episode. Now it's just some really awful generic track. :( That song is one of the reasons that episode has resonated so much. There's a moment where the girl even sings the song, and they've dubbed over it.

I have a bootleg DVD set of the entire series, and fortunately the song is on there. But if you watch the episode on YouTube, don't watch the full 24 minute version. The ones that are split into three parts seem to have the original audio.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, he was dead. And a ghost. And you couldn't see his face (ahhh, when he left the funhouse). And he was in a "fun"house... nobody else was inside. It was just him and the Mystery Number doors. Any one of them could have been the clown. And he didn't know what the clown looked like. But you had to open door after door until you found the Exit, the exit to the whole funhouse was through the numbered doors. And several of them were jump-scare doors.

To a kid, that's heart-stopping material once it gets to a certain pitch. That is: the clown is in your house and no one else is but you. And he wants revenge (if he doesn't get his nose back).

I believe I rationalized the fear of this particular clown back then as being fear of the unknown. Certainly, the unpredictable. In movies, especially after Killer Klowns, you just had no idea what a clown could or would do in a movie. But the only notably physically-bound (altogether human) manifestation of clowns at that time was Clownhouse. Nickelodeon did a great job with Zeebo in concept: you have no idea how to kill him. You take a leap in assuming just giving him the nose back will make him go away.

At least, more imaginative viewers let their minds wander. That's why I bother mentioning that these shows as a brand usually sucked. They never really took risks or knew how to bend reality or I believe tapped into truly tangible childhood fears.

Now there's a thought.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah the Goosebumps TV show came out when I was just growing out of the books. I remember being so disappointed with the first episode The Haunted Mask, being one of my favourite books it just seemed so cheaply done. That was my problem with most of the episodes (That and I remember them taming the already kiddie books down even more), although there were a few here and there that worked okay.

I agree, Are You Afraid if the Dark was much better overall. My favourite episode has always been The Tale of the Twisted Claw. I'm a sucker for any episodes or movies that take place on Halloween, plus this was a take on the monkey's paw story, and actually got kind of dark at the end. Plus the cackling old woman and the score really creeped me out. I watched it in the past year and it was still pretty effective considering.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I had turned to Fear Street probably a year earlier.

If I'd only known... (way too many attempts at humor)

6. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Hehehe... r_burgos...

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Is the series R.L. STINE'S THE HAUNTING HOUR available on disc yet ?

8. CPT HOOK

Yes. Shout Factory has been releasing them 5 episodes at a time.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Cool,thanks a lot !

10. Christy

Christy Member

Why has there not been made a Goosbumps movie yet? I would welcome a this in a movi form versus TV show.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of talk on horror news sites about one being in the works. If they go through with it then it could happen in the next year or so.

12. Christy

Christy Member

It's all speculation and rumors and internet jazz nonsense.

13. Zombie Dude

Yes, which is pretty much what I said. I didn't say it was confirmed or green-lit, just a lot of talk about studios being interested.

14. CPT HOOK

The Goosebumps movie opens on Friday. I'll be catching it either Friday or Saturday in 3D. Looks fun, and they're predicting it will do very well this weekend.

Anyone else planning to check it out this weekend?

15. Zombie Dude

I had high hopes when it was first announce but it looks really childish and corny. I know the show was corny but the makeup was always frightening whereas I haven't been too impressed with the character designs for the film.
    I guess I was hoping for a film that would cater a bit more to those that grew up with the show rather than today's kids.

It could still be alright but nothing I've seen so far has really sold me.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I plan on seeing it tomorrow. From the reviews I have read, it seems to be a competent film that is full of 90's nostalgia both in terms of subject matter and how things play out (a lot of reviews said that it's in the same vein as Hocus Pocus and Jumanji). I'm not expecting the best halloween kids movie ever, but I'm definitely expecting to have a lot of fun.

17. CPT HOOK

I enjoyed the Goosebumps movie, but I wish I enjoyed it more. There were a lot of missed opportunities, and little tweaks they could have done to make it better. It didn't really feel like the Goosebumps I grew up with at all.

But there was still a lot of fun to be had here. The movie pretty much jumps from Goosebumps villain set-piece to Goosebumps villain set-piece. My personal favorites here were Revenge Of The Lawn Gnomes (they deserve their own spin-off movie) and the supermarket attack by The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp. There was also a pretty clever twist late in the second act pertaining specifically to one of the early Goosebumps books, but to say which one would be a major spoiler.

The movie is extremely PG, playing things very safe in regards to scares and humor. I wish it had maybe just a little more edge to it, like most of the classic family films do. I felt like it maybe neglected the adult audience a bit too much. But this is 2015 and this movie is targeted to today's kids, so I'm really not the target demo here. It's movies like this from the late '80s and early '90s that blossomed my own love for the horror genre, so hopefully this will do the same for today's kids.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm in the process of watching the full TV series right now. I grabbed the "The Complete Collection" R2 DVD 12-disc set recently pretty cheap. The quality is pretty good on those discs. I always thought about buying some of the R1 DVD's, but getting more than a few of those is cost and space prohibitive.

I'm interested in seeing the film, but I'll probably just wait until it comes out on Blu-ray.

19. CPT HOOK

If anyone is interested, Germany has released the entire series of Goosebumps on blu-ray. It's SD content on blu-ray, so the entire series fits on only 2 discs. Unfortunately, it's region B locked and PAL.

Someone on blu-ray.com posted pics and more details: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11832704&postcount=38

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I watched the film last week with the kids. Despite a slow start, we really enjoyed it!!