Goosebumps

Discussion in 'General' started by r_burgos2003, Aug 23, 2003.

1. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Me too, but not at age 8. Wonderful series IMO when I was younger. Right up there with "Nightmare Ned" and "Tales from the cryptkeeper"

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anyone here been watching R.L. Stine's new TV series?

It is called The Haunting Hour and it airs Saturday nights at 8PM ET on The HUB.

It's not great, but for those of us who grew up with Are You Afraid Of The Dark or Goosebumps, it is a nice trip down memory lane.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Haven't watched his new show, but I laughed my ass off reading what I wrote in this thread when I was 15. Good stuff.

4. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

oh man, I had a TON of Goosebumps books as a kid. My favorites were the Night of the Living Dummy trilogy. Good creepy fun. The TV show was weak though, they could've at least made them hour long episodes.

I also was a rabid fan of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" I'm still clamoring for an official DVD release of the seasons. I remember that show so well. By far the most memorable for me was "The Tale of Laughing in the Dark" and "The Tale of the Lonely Ghost"

You know, the one with the clown that died in the funhouse fire who always had the cigar burning, and the girl who got trapped in that room and was scratching "HELP ME" on the walls?

Awesome stuff back in the day

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Actually every season of Are You Afraid of the Dark has been officially released, although only in Canada I believe and they are all OOP now. I have the first, second and fourth season of the seven produced.

I started watching the first season in October. It is pretty cheesy and definitely aimed at children, but I did have fun mostly due to nostalgia but also because the shows have great atmosphere, and I like the campfire tale aspect of each story. I always thought this show was better then Goosebumps personally. Some of the stories are actually pretty good but you can tell the age demographic and money available had an effect on the show.

As for those two stories you mentioned, they are two of the shows that I have watched so far as they are earlier episodes, titled The Tale of the Lonely Ghost and The Tale of Laughing in the Dark.

My favourite episode has always been The Tale of the Twisted Claw. It takes place on Halloween and is a twist on "The Monkey's Paw," about two boys who scare an old lady on Devil's Night and receive the claw as a treat from her on Halloween, of course granting their wishes but with a terrifying price.

Here's some pics of the sets.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Afraid-Dark/4884

6. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

I love the Scary Stories trilogy of books! :) The drawings in those books were just so damn scary and creepy! :) Totally wicked! :)

7. CPT HOOK

Are You Afraid Of The Dark was amazing, and way better than Goosebumps. The episodes mentioned were some of the first few episodes.

Some of my favorites were:
    Nightly Neighbors
    The Prom Queen
    Midnight Madness
    Frozen Ghost
    Old Man Corcoran
    Watcher's Woods
    The Dream Girl
    The Silent Servant
    The Ghastly Grinner
    Dead Man's Float
    The Night Shift

8. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

I own the first 4 seasons on DVD from here in the UK. You can get them pretty cheap. They never released 5-7 over here on DVD for some reason. I am going to have to get season 5, 6 and 7 from USA when I have the cash.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

None of the full seasons have ever gotten released in the States. :(

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yep, Canadian exclusives.

11. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

Yeah, I had the original trilogy of those as well. And you're right, the drawings were creepy as hell.

My wife and I were talking about them a couple weeks ago while in Barnes and Noble. They re-published the books, and we actually found them at B&N but changed the artwork to much more toned down version.
    :(

I wish I would've saved my originals

12. CPT HOOK

Beginning this Tuesday, September 6th, the HUB will begin airing Goosebumps every weeknight at 5:30PM.

It looks like they are going in order, beginning with The Haunted Mask.

13. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

For those who don't know yet, netflix has put up quite a few episodes for streaming.

It says all 74 episodes but they haven't added all of them yet.

According to goosebumps facebook, the missing episodes will be put up by halloween time.......

For those that have bought the uk dvd sets, I know some of the episodes that originally aired in the uk were edited.

Are the dvds back to their "uncut" state? I'd rather buy season sets then the crappy 2 episode per dvd US releases.

EDIT: also a handful of episodes of Are you Afraid of the Dark? are on amazon instant video

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. CPT HOOK

I was one of the idiots who wasted money on all of the individual 2 / 3 episode DVD releases. So now I've got the entire series except for The Haunted Mask, Cuckoo Clock Of Doom, and Werewolf Skin (which is one of the better episodes, from what I recall).

I did a quick skim of what they've got on Netflix, and looks like they've got just about everything except The Haunted Mask and The Haunted Mask 2.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I've recently come to a conclusion about R.L. Stine when trying to re-read one of his Fear Street books, chosen at random (I have the whole original set; I picked The Knife)...

He was a terrible writer.

But you bought the books anyway, the covers sold 'em.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I downloaded all the episodes a while ago and watched seasons 1 through 4. I remember these being a lot better as a kid. A few episodes were actually good but majority were bore-fests. Don't know if they were cut or not. Does anyone have some episode comparisons for the cut ones?

17. CPT HOOK

Yes, unlike Are You Afraid Of The Dark, Goosebumps has not aged well. Still, I think they're fun.

18. Zombie Dude

Some are fun but overall I felt like I was punishing myself sitting through and entire season. Might have to sit down and check out the Are Yon Afraid of the Dark seasons. Never really saw that as a kid plus they were much scarier back then lol.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Wow- even as a kid, I knew this show was dorky. And I am a dork, so when something like this can't stand up to The Worst Witch (assuming most people don't fall for its boundless charms everytime), that's saying something.

But it's like most of these shows, they try to push something scary and if they instead put their effort into making the characters more likable and interesting. I've only bothered with one Are You Afraid of the Dark episode in the last few years - the clown one (obviously), I think everyone who saw it as a kid agrees it was terrifying - and the characters are the weak spot. Or the acting. Some kids shows still hold up. I'd say they tried harder, cast better, and wrote smarter.

20. Zombie Dude

I seemed to enjoy these as a kid for the most part as a kid but I think that was due to the fact that it was rare to find airing on normal tv.

Goosebumps just didn't seem to try well with anything. Like I said, there was that occasional episode that shone but for the most part it was corny as hell, dragged and was terribly written.