Godzilla - King of Monsters (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

First trailer for the new Godzilla movie, coming in May 2019.

So happy that Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are all in this one.

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

This looks like it will be amazing ! I cannot wait, the first one was cool so I have high hopes.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Trailer #2

Steel76 likes this.
  4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

So excited for this one.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Appears that there may be other kaiju than just G, Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Watched this yesterday with my grandson. He's 10 and didn't seem too impressed. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. So many references to other Godzilla films and lots of music from the earlier films. I would have preferred the actors to have less screen time and the monsters more but we can't have everything. It was played nice and loud where I saw it (not Imax) which added to my enjoyment. Definitely recommended for theatrical viewing. Stay through the credits as well.

zompirejoe and Steel76 like this.
  7. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I saw Godzilla last night, and I thought it was fantastic ! This is definitely one of my favorite Godzilla films of all time. I’m not really getting all of the hate from the critics and so called fans. I’ve been a G- fan since I was around five years old and the movie was a winner.

russweiss likes this.
  8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I enjoyed the movie, along with it's easter eggs / homages and especially the soundtrack. Still not digging the whole "dark fight" scenes that this series seems to relish. I prefer Skull Island's brightness. That being said, I still can't fully get into this US Godzilla. It's much better than the 2014 film but I dunno, still seems off. If the monsterverse ends with Godzilla Vs Kong, then that's fine by me. I'd much rather see Toho going back to making live action G films.

russweiss likes this.
  9. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm not much of a Godzilla fan, but I'll chip in. It was all right. The human element is a joke, but some of the F/X are commendable. I'm mostly impressed with how the director of one of my favorite horror films, Trick 'r Treat, was given reigns to direct a $170 million dollar tentpole movie. Not sure how that happened, since Krampus kinda/sorta sucks, but good for him.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually had no idea this was from the same guy that made Trick 'r Treat :eek: That's a big surprise. You're right about Krampus sucking though.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Saw this on the weekend and didn't like it. Sure, it's got more monster fighting than the first film in this US franchise, but holy hell is the storytelling and filmmaking abysmal. The first third is non-stop action-set-up with no room to breathe or let any of the characters evolve past their one-note descriptors, and then it's heavily forced and over-explained exposition followed by overly dark fight scenes in dark environments followed by characters telling you exactly what you just saw happen, then repeat until the end. Sure, there's some easter eggs peppered throughout for Godzilla die-hards but nostalgic winks that only some of the audience will get does not make a good movie... I know the Godzilla movies aren't exactly cerebral entertainment in general, but this was just awful and not much fun at all. And the look of the film is just plain ugly with the teal/orange Blockbuster colour job cranked to 11 and everything set in dismally dark environments and unrealistic techno-military sterile locations. And not to mention a couple glaring plot holes, such as
    Dr. Emma Russell, who was in on the eco-terrorist plot and would have known they were storming the Mothra lab, letting her daughter come to work with her and stay in the lab that was set to have the explosive siege. So if Madison hadn't decided to be rebellious and run to her mother with the Orca/Mothra, she'd likely have been killed in the lab explosion/gun fire.

12. Zombie Dude

This whole monster-verse has had pretty horrible/poorly written characters from the start and is the main reason I haven't enjoyed them. Sure I want more monster action too but that doesn't seem to be helping this new Godzilla film. I'll probably just download it when it's out.

13. Dianabol5mg

Dianabol5mg New Member

Man.............that was a pretty darn good summation. I went with my daughter on Friday. Loved the fights, but jeeze did I want to get the hell out of there. My daughter(11) enjoyed it, so that is all that counts. I was a happy dad. I will probably buy this because we didnt get the chance to see it in 3D. The idiot that owns the theater had Aladdin in their lone 3D theater, Dumbass. When I watch it again, ill just mute the human moments, lol.
    I dont know if this really spoils anything, but how about resurrecting something as enormous as these monsters and being mere feet away from them when they wake up. WTF? Collapse of the area is certain and basically you are sacrificing your whole scientific workforce just to see the animal move. On that note, how many sacrifices can you put in one movie?

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I thought the previous American Godzilla was an improvement over the 90's version (that faint enough praise for ya !) but I wished it had more monster action. This has more action (though still not THAT much considering the film is being sold on Godzilla's name) but I thought the story was a cache of clichés and the performances were all one note. It seemed LONG too. KONG:SKULL ISLAND I felt had a much better blend of plot, acting and action.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I enjoyed it - some parts were scary and really exciting. It's so much better than the 2014 movie which, unfairly, got all the notice and money. THIS was what that film should have been. The human characters - typically written to annoy - can GO. Although the monsters were fabulous in design, they had no personality when compared the Japanese films - they could have been named ANYTHING and nothing would have been different. I thought I noticed one homage in the beginning to the 2014
    film where the Motos were shown in action and quickly cut away from. ;)
    Overall, a thrillshow and somewhat mean spirited flick but worth a visit to the cinema.

russweiss likes this.
  17. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I was REALLY disappointed by this. So much wasted talent in every aspect. I won't even begin to list all the ways this was a let down. I'll just ask how is Pacific Rim still the best Godzilla movie America can make?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

This.

I watched this one the other night and hated it. I was bored through a lot of it which surprised me. The characters were just awful and as interesting as some shit smeared on the pavement.
    All the monster stuff was at night and they all seemed to have a night-light feature. I didn't even think the effects were quite as impressive as I thought they'd be. I often thought Ghidorah looked like he'd be more at home in game. Even Godzilla didn't feel nearly as imposing as he did in the 2014 film.

I was hoping this one would fix a lot of the issues I've had with the other films in the monster-verse but it somehow managed to be the worst.

Erick H. likes this.