Girl Most Likely To w/STockard Channing finally available...

Discussion in 'General' started by MrKateB, Jan 25, 2006.

1. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Hey all...

Despite it's inclusion on the great "Coming to Video X/XX/XXXX" thread it was on back in October, I totally missed the fact that this movie was finally released to home video...

It's a great black comedy, starring Stockard Channing in what might have been her first real major exposure. It's written by Joan Rivers, and tells the sad tale of Miriam, a VERY ugly duckling who is mistreated by the "ruling class" at school, has one last great humiliation before being shredded in a car accident, and then gets her face reconstructed, becomes beautiful, and proceeds to bump off the jocks and cheerleaders that made her life hell.

I only had spotty memories of this film from it's television premiere back in the early 70's, but it all came back to me after I watched it.

Kudos to MGM/Sony for finally releasing this, perhaps it signals the eventual release of more great made-for-tv horror/cult films?

Anyway, heavily recommended to any fans of Channing, Rivers, Heathers-type movies, or likes a good little humor/slasher pic. Not gory, played for laughs, but recommended.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

This sounds very interesting. I will definitely check it out.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'm glad you brought this up. I have been wanting to get a copy of this for years and forgot that it was released on dvd.

4. MrKateB

Apparently a lot of people have, Shannafey--myself included. I get the feeling maybe not so many people on this board perhaps, but I've seen a lot of references to this movie elsewhere, with people always wondering why it was never released...Anyway, always glad to know there are other fans of the film...

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I watched this so many times on TV as a kid, I can't count them all. It always stayed with me. The 70s were an amazing time for made for TV movies with this, Gargoyles, Trilogy of Terror, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, etc. There were only 3 main networks, so the movies were quality to attract viewers. Now, it's just about product!

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

This one has stuck with me for ages,glad it's out on dvd at last.

7. MrKateB

I just hope everyone and anyone that liked this movie does actually buy it, and buys it new. We definitely need to send the message that we support the release of made-for-television movies...Who knows? Maybe we'll see them all out eventually. Gargoyles and Trilogy of Terror have received DVD releases, but Don't Be Afriad of the Dark has not...For me, I'm waiting on legit releases of Satan's Triangle, Horror at 37,000 Feet, Home for the Holidays (w/Sally Field), The Bermuda Depths (Connie Selleca + Giant Sea Turtle = hiLARity!) and many more....sigh...

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I picked up the blu-ray of The Girl Most Likely To... during the Kino sale and I loved this! I was not expecting the proto-slasher leanings in the later half. So much fun!

Stockard Channing is really amazing in this. I also love her in The Business Of Strangers, which I hope makes it to blu-ray someday.

My only problem with this movie is that it only took maybe 5 minutes for me to be like "Destroy them, Stockard... destroy them all!" It takes about 40 minutes for the tables to turn, and I was ready for it!