Giant Gila Monster

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by dwatts, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

The Giant Gila Monster was filmed back-to-back with another classic of the "Oh my God I can't believe they made a movie this bad" series, The Killer Shrews. One can only wonder what the production crew, the same on both films, made of all their efforts. Unlike the Killer Shrew movie, the production crew could use a real lizard for their film, rather than resorting to greyhounds, with a rug thrown over them. Cool!

The Giant Gila Monster, coming as it did at the tail end of the monster movie cycle, didn't have the time or budget to do anything out of the ordinary. On the contrary, it wanted to hit its target market at the earliest possible moment. The target audience? Well, it was made up of monster movie fans, teenagers feeling angst at living in small towns, teenagers who are into hog-diggity rock and roll, teenagers into fast cars, and parents who could well do with a lesson in understanding that not all teenagers have dates with Mary Warnar.

The movie pretty much starts with a killing, with our unfriendly Gila Monster, sorry, GIANT Gila Monster runs a car off the road, killing two teenagers. Why must it always be the young innocents amongst us who suffer? It takes quite some time before the authority in the town - and yes, I deliberately kept that singular, and not plural - comes to terms with an inevitable fact - a Giant Gila Monster is on the loose!

Of course, this movie isn't simply a reflection of crazy teens and their explosive corgi toys. No sir. This movie also includes plenty of drink driving, and all of it by adults. Not to mention, none of it goes punished, and in fact, it's treated as quite the hoot. You see, every time someone drinks and drives, they see giant lizards. Time for a sleep methinks. Even the authority doesn't mind people drinking and driving much, I guess that's what made Texas great.

That's about all there is to say about this giant monster movie, this Giant Gila Monster movie. There's plenty of what could pass as action if you downed a few beers, squinted, and stuck a needle into your arm at ten minute intervals. Toy cars get set on fire, Lizards trample twigs and drunk drivers get their comeuppance (they wake up in strange places and don't know how they got there).

A longer, more complete review - with screenshots AND SUPER-DUPER EXCLUSIVE SONG FROM The Giant Gila Monster in MP3 format: Go to this place here.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

You know I'm really starting to enjoy your site. There's even an MP3! How many reviews come complete with a MP3??

I think I'm going to have to see this movie. If it's nearly as entertaining as the review makes it sound....it'll be nearly as entertaining as the review makes it sound.

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

:lol:

Thanks, Maskul. I've been having fun with these films, even though I probably shouldn't. That song was just too classic, I had to put it up.

I'll give the MP3 thing some thought for the future.

Thanks again for looking. Looks like The Giant Gila Monster isn't at the top of everyones favorite list, but I enjoyed it.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I watched this one on the weekend thanks to your review and got exactly what was promised, including Chase singing his wonderful new song at a dance party while tons of bored-looking teenagers stand around trying to look excited. Bet they were glad when the monster showed up. :)

Coming soon from Zip: Killer Shrews. Hope it's nearly as "good" as this one was.