Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary Steelbook

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Surprised no one posted this earlier, but next week Sony will unleash a new steelbook release featuring Ghostbusters 1 and 2 in time for the first film's 35th anniversary and the sequel's 30th. The set will have both films on 4K Ultra and Blu-ray plus a bonus disc featuring new and archival content. Everything from the previous releases are getting ported over and a whole bunch of new content including commentary for Ghostbusters 2, original Stereo mixes for both films (Blu-ray only), highly requested deleted scenes, and the original Real Ghostbusters sales pilot beautifully restored in HD.

We already have the first review:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/71645/ghostbustersghostbustersii4kultrahdbluraysteelbook.html

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I am interested in the bonus disc, but I've bought these films so many times (VHS, several DVD iterations, blu-ray and the most recent 4K discs). I'd probably watch the deleted scenes once and that's it. The price has to be ridiculously low for me to bite yet again.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This upcoming release made some headlines when a few clips of the exhibitor reel made for '84 theater owners was released to the press to help sell this new set: https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/05/bill-murray-dan-aykroyd-found-ghostbusters-clip/

Will be cool to see. Although from the preview I'm not sure I'd care to see it more than once.

Unfortunately the latest UHD transfer is still overly bright. I know the DP Kovacs approved the new timing before his death but, regardless of why he did so, I don't think Kovacs of 1984 would have. I'd have to check out my original Blu-ray to see if it's dark enough to warrant hanging on to. I can't imagine it has much resale value even with its slip case.

It'll it will cheap by Halloween. Prices on the Ghostbusters discs drop like a rock.

The original DVD is still worth hanging on to. It has the original silhouette overlay (like MST3k) that goes along with the commentary track. The Blu-ray discs did not carry that over.

Myron Breck and buck135 like this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I love the prick who comments on said review, he has a major problem with grain, ow the joy!

Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  5. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Never thought this movie was as iconic as it demanded everyone think of it as. Missed it in theaters that summer, and by the time it came out as a VHS, I remember distinctly NOT wanting to see it as America had been absolutely bludgeoned by the PR/hype/tie-ins that saturated this film with a calculatiom to take the zeitgeist hostage like I'd never seen before.
    I mean, it is a decent movie with wonderful talent, but the t shirts, logos, press coverage, you would think it was the second coming. So I lost my taste for it as nothing could live up to that level of self created hype.
    It was like the budget for the PR and adverts was more than the movie. SNL at the time even did a skit about it.
    Oh and that damned song (even though I love Ray Parker from his Raydio years): I'm glad that "bustin makes you feel good (?)", but do I have to hear about it 300 times a day?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah there's some people who are pretty militant about there not being ANY grain and refuse to hear otherwise. But if it's a grainy film there's no way to remove the grain without removing the details. That's why a DVD of a movie can appear less grainy. It had less detail than UHD and therefore the grain isn't as visible. It's like looking at a painting. The closer you get to it the more you see the brush strokes. Doesn't mean the brush strokes aren't there when you're standing far back. It's not possible to remove those brush strokes without destroying the paint.

Ultimately I don't think you can make them happy; all you can do is ignore them.

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member