Get Out (2017, Meet-the-Parents Horror; dir. Jordan Peele) [Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

So, this is the SECOND trailer today to feature an animal smacking a windshield. Time to retire this, perhaps?

Anyway, this looks fun:

Dir: Jordan Peele
    Release: Feb 2017

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

One more week!

I can't wait for this one. Looks great!

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Catherine Keener? Bradley Whitford? I am impressed.

I would say this looks like no ordinary run-of-the-mill millennialfest but... it's clearly overreliant on jump scares. Which means it has a problem with a lack of atmosphere and a prolong-able feeling of discomfort / dread. So... these could be scores for character development. I mean, Oculus (for example) sucked because it was intensely stupid but the character development was almost functioning. This film could break away from that trend and work as a character film despite technical flaws. But I want more than quick jumps and lame tricks to pick up the slack. This definitely has a very intriguing idea and the trailer is holding a lot of the plot in. There might be a lot of plot / a lot of ideas. Which is good.

I'll give it about a 50/50 chance of working. I mean... it could suck as a horror film and still be such a great story that keeps you engrossed. I just seriously wish we could finally quit it with the damn movies that only try to look digital and never indulge in classic atmosphere or style. I am so tired of the look and feel of these tech millennial THRILLERS. I want horror back.

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

This looks really good, hopefully all of the shocks are not in the trailer. It is like a modern Stepford Wives type film. In my opinion it will probably be pretty polarizing, you will love it or hate it with not much middle ground. I am a huge fan of Key and Peele's Comedy Central show, but I was not too impressed with Keanu. Jordan Peele seems to be a real horror fan and it looks like he may have put a lot into this film. I guess we shall see.

5. CPT HOOK

Currently at 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with 35 positive reviews.

Can't wait to see it this weekend!

Natas and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

All early reviews have been positive. Can't wait to see. This has matinee written all over it though, guaranteed pack house opening weekend Fri-Sat nights.

7. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

And it will bring in the obnoxious teenage crowd. I will see it next Sunday at 10 am.

Hatchetwarrior and Natas like this.
  8. Natas

you ain't lying, man....... Sunday 10am showing is a great call. I might even wait a week or two and still hit up an AM showing.

soxfan666 likes this.
  9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

and Oh God, how I despise that crowd. They can't keep their goddamned mouths shut. I was never like that when I was a teenager.

soxfan666 likes this.
  10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Around our way if you go to a late showing (after 9pm) you won't get too much of that teenage crowd. It's rated R and our local theater is quite strict.

zompirejoe and soxfan666 like this.
  11. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Saw it tonight and had a great time. Great performances and a nice visual style from Peele. To my eyes it looked like the gore had been trimmed so I'm hoping an unrated cut on Bluray restores what I imagine was missing. There were certainly some elements there to pick at if you want to but I was entertained and will watch it again.

12. CPT HOOK

Hell yeah! $10 million at the box office on Friday alone! Really strong opening for a genre film.

I'm seeing it tonight and I can't wait!

13. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I may catch this tonight. A film with THAT great of a trailer cannot be missed.

I will say, RT not having one negative review strikes me as odd. If it was 132 positive and 3 negative, sure. But 0? It's just strange for a genre picture, especially right after the imdb boards were scrubbed but a week ago.

But on point. I am very excited to see this.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The thing with RT is that the site takes any passable rating and calls it a fresh review. I've seen reviews that give a film a 6/10 called fresh. So having 100% doesn't mean everyone thinks it's great, they just think it's passable to good. And this film is strong enough and is coming out at the perfect time to make it so I buy all of those passing grades. I was quite happy seeing a wide release original horror film that was as solid as this one is. For me the writing (really only in the last third) left something to be desired, but the direction was terrific and the cast was excellent.

Body Boy likes this.
  15. Natas

Caught an 11am showing of this, only a handful of other folks in attendance. I liked it. You could argue this is a slow burn of sorts but I was entertained and engaged throughout. Well acted, good story, some beautiful cinematography and I really dug the score. Enjoyable flick.

16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I went to an 11am showing on Tuesday and it was packed. People in the front row even, and I never see that happen, not even on weekends. I enjoyed it for the most part, didn't quite blow me away but it's very well made. I heard a reviewer call it "scary as hell", but I didn't find it scary at all. Maybe thinking it was going to be terrifying beforehand made me not like it quite as much as I'd hoped, I don't know. I was also hoping the violence at the end would've packed more of a punch, but like chancetx wrote above it did seem to be trimmed a bit.

The plot of this one reminded me a lot of a pretty shitty movie from 1989 called
    The Immortalizer
    Get Out was much better than that one, but the idea is pretty similar.

Natas likes this.
  17. Natas

Well put. I agree. I can't believe it was a packaged house at 11am on a Tuesday. That's pretty wild to me.

The only remotely creepy part I thought was when the groundskeeper came running full sprint at Chris in the middle of the night. I liked that little part a lot

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, the area I live in is weird. Everyone is pretty wealthy (except me) and nobody seems to ever have to work. Going early to avoid crowds doesn't always work out for me.

The only part I can think of that scared me at all was when the maid suddenly darts across the hallway, but that was more the loud noise startling me. The flying deer scene (was that thing catapulted or something?) got a big reaction from the audience, but I'd seen the trailer for this thing probably ten times before seeing it so I had no reaction to that part.

19. CPT HOOK

The Immortalizer
    is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. I think it's good fun. Interesting comparison though.

The two that crossed my mind were
    The Skeleton Key and The Invitation.

20. CPT HOOK

Figured the best movie of the year deserved a thread bump.

Now on Blu-ray. I picked mine up this morning.

fceurich39 likes this.