Front Row DVDs any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Doombear, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Doombear

Doombear Member

According to DVD Planet, there's a DVD company called Front Row - which will be releasing cheap movie titles, including "Return to Horror High" on November 27th. Will the quality be any good? Or are they another Scimitar and Madacy-type outfit?

2. kiddvideo

kiddvideo New Member

Not to harp on the Creepshow 2 issue from my other post, but the front row site has it listed there, along with the the other anchor bay titles, such as hellraiser 1 and 2, children of the corn. Plus none Anchor Bay horror title like girls just want to have fun and sister sister. You can find alot of their titles in canadian department stores, and i can say that i have a number of them (not that i am cheap or anything, some of there titles are the only dvd version of the film out there, ie Heavenly Creatures)
    There transfers all always full screen and range from decent (Heavenly Creatures) to Horrid (Hellraiser 3). But for the price you can't go wrong.

3. Doombear

Doombear Member

Anchor Bay is supposed to come out with Return to Horror High in 2003. For $9.99 now, I can get the Front Row version. I'll let everybody know how it looks. I'm doubtful it'll be in widescreen. I also intend to do up my own cover with the skeleton cheerleader, because the Front Row DVD has an ugly picture of a classroom full of corpses.

4. kiddvideo

kiddvideo New Member

Ebay has a few copies up for bid, but my guess is it will hit stores like wal-mart shortly after November 27th, cause all the other titles on thier site i have seen at wal-mart, or zellers.

5. Doombear

Doombear Member

I got the "Return to Horror High" DVD today. It's pan-and-scan, and questionably better than the NTSC VHS. The daylight shots look sharp and clear, but any shots in darkness are muddy as hell. Fleshtones are on the reddish side. The audio is weak LPCM 48k 16bit mono. The film suffers from a slight speedup - maybe a PAL transfer. There are no extras included. There is a glaring spelling error on the menu - it says STRAT feature (instead of Start) !

But it's nice to finally dispose of my worn VHS copy. For under $8 US, it's a fun addition to my set. This is a neat horror spoof with a timeline that jumps all over the place. For sure I'll be making my own replacement cover. I'd only recommend buying this movie if you are a big fan.

But I see that Anchor Bay has changed the release date of their Horror High DVD from 2003 to early 2002. I'll likely be picking up that one for the extras and the better transfer. AB will probably have it in widescreen as well.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2001
  6. kiddvideo

kiddvideo New Member

The same spelling mistake in on the Creepshow 2 DVD, long live the word STRAT !!!!

7. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

haha, i saw that too, crazy.