Friday the 13th: The Video Game (PS4/XBone/PC)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I play single player offline a lot after a day of dealing with dickheads in real life. Take out my aggression on counselors. I'll fuckin' choke you out and then STOMP on your head! Ha!

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I get tired of every counselor spawning with knives and firecrackers. I can literally morph to their position within seconds of startup and they’ll have both. That just isn’t supposed to happen.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I’m with you there. Also, let’s make the firecrackers less loud and only pop for like 3 seconds instead of 10. It’s so annoying!!!

4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Which is exactly why I want the single player version, but the Xbox site is showing it's only the online multiplayer version, and I'm not subscribing to anything to play a game, as much as I want to brutalize people as Jason.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  5. maybrick

There isn’t a differentiation. You get both.

I just can’t understand why a subscription is such a deal breaker. It costs less than you likely pay for Netflix and it wouldn’t be the only game that you could play, either.

6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Single player as a counselor could be fun with a good story.

7. maybrick

Friday the 13th with a good story is a contradiction in terms. The only good story told in this series is the one told by the campfire in part 2. Beyond that there is no “story”, just a set up for the kill scenes. Having an actual plot would likely devolve into answering questions about Jason’s origin or stupid ideas like a Jason cult that nobody wants to see in a zillion years.

8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Microsoft got enough of my money on all the Pinball F/X tables that disappeared and never came back. Plus, I don't like playing online. Multiplayer campaigns don't interest me.

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I play on a PC through Steam. I've never played online, only offlline with bots. Like Mutilated Prey said, it's one of the best bad-day games of all-time. After a rough day at work, it's hugely satisfying to kill a bunch of cyber morons. I'm especially keen on the shishkabob kill.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I can't be 100% sure but the single player is a free download that comes with the game. (which was added after the original multiplayer only version) Plus the original price of Friday The 13th (before the Microsoft sale) is $40. The same that it is at places like Gamestop. There's really only two versions available(standard or slasher edition) to buy which both say the same thing. Slasher comes with more dlc.

Example: THE DISC VERSION ($40) from Gamestop

• 1v7 Multiplayer: With maps spanning multiple iconic locations from the movie franchise; play online as either Jason Voorhees or a Camp Counselor trying to survive the night. The choice is yours!
    • Killer Variety: Play as various incarnations of Jason Voorhees as depicted in the films. Each Jason has been hand-crafted with specific Strengths, Weaknesses, and exclusive brutal kills! Fans of the movies will be able to unlock and play as Jason's from parts 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 9!
    • Authentic to the Franchise: The game draws expertise from horror icons including Sean S. Cunningham (director/creator of Friday the 13th), Tom Savini (FX legend and effects director of Friday the 13th), composer Harry Manfredini (various compositions from the franchise) and Kane Hodder (Jason Voorhees actor; Part 7, 8 , 9 and X).
    • Unlock and Customize: Level up and unlock new playable Counselors or Jason models; spend hard-earned CP (customization points) on new kills for Jason or game-changing Perks for your Camp Counselors; even unlock new 80's inspired clothing to show off during matches! Friday the 13th: The Game has tons of content waiting to be discovered!
    • Retail Disc Exclusive DLC:
      • Exclusive free Bloody Jason Skin for all playable Jasons!
      • Exclusive free pack of clothing for each of the playable camp counselors.
    • Access all upcoming DLC when available including a free download of Single Player missions where you play as Jason! Future DLC to include Offline matches with AI Bots, new maps, characters, counselor outfits, Jason skins and much more!

Further supporting my ... guess.

Remember this back in May before the single player released?

Friday the 13th: The Game is getting a big update this week with the single player challenge mode at last launching on PS4, Xbox One and PCs. The 10 solo Friday the 13th: The Game challenge stages will enable players to unlock a total of 30 new emotes.

Another clue that it was free. The word "update"

and this:

About a year after the initial launch of the game, an all new mode has recently been added free of charge. The “Single Player Challenges” will let players take on the role of Jason to carry out murders in ways inspired by scenes from the actual films. With more than one way to achieve that goal, the mode offers various achievements and unlockables to give each scenario a bit of replay value.

So that sale on Xbox must include the single player, even though it doesn't state a single player imho. $6 bucks is an incredible deal.

P.S. - Compare these two listings in Microsoft store. One is the download (xbox live) and the other is the physical disc sent to your house. Both same price $39.99 (download is on sale)

Both say "Game requires Xbox Live Gold to play on Xbox (subscription sold separately)."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/friday-the-13th-the-game/c0723xb6xjsx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/friday-the-13th-the-game-for-xbox-one/8N4TG3T0CDG1/694G?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've purchased it from xbox sale, it says multi player on the description, but the single player stuff is there.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

There you go. So it is in there. Was it in the initial download, or was there an update right after you downloaded the game? Any of DLC come with it?

So you're good to go cooperkill. :) $6 great deal.

13. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Cool. Thanks for all the info. "Game requires Xbox Live Gold to play on Xbox (subscription sold separately)" is what turns me off. Why do you need Xbox Live to play the single player campaign?

baggio likes this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's because when the game first came out, it was multiplayer only(no single/campaign) .. like say PUBG. But since May they added a single player mode to the game. So maybe, Xbox just didn't update the page? And that multiplayer is what the game was based on initially. It's sorta the core design of the game. That's my guess.

15. maybrick

You don’t. You just need it if you want to play multiplayer. And trust me, guys. YOU DO.

Presumably, the X-Box subscription is necessary to help pay for and maintain servers that are needed to host multiplayer games. That ain’t cheap.

I don’t know how X-Box works, but Playstation lets you try PS4 Plus for two days for free. Try it!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  16. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

All right. For $6 I'll try it. But I'm not subscribing to anything.

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I just mean really the setup from either of my favorites like Part 2, 6, 7, 8, X, or Freddy vs Jason. You just find yourself in that story as a counselor or friend and have to survive. You can engage in mini games or dating stuff.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to play this game... and it kind of sucks. Glad it was only $6.

The maps are fun and detailed. Fun to walk through and see all the nods.

There are supposedly seven counselors per map, so I walked through every map (Camp Crystal Lake, Tamarack, Higgins Haven, Jarvis House, and Pinehurst) and that entire time I only encountered one counselor in the Jarvis house.

So essentially, the entire game is just walking through Friday locations. And of course, Jason doesn't run, so he's slow as hell. It takes forever to get anywhere, the only time it goes at a normal speed is in the water.

So yeah, aside from the locations, I was bored. I'm wondering if there's stuff I missed. Is Lana's diner in the part 5 map? 3 was the first map I played and I completely missed the barn. I didn't see the windmill by the house either. I would have loved the downtown strip of Blairstown or the diner on the Crystal Lake map.

19. maybrick

The live Jasons run and the zombie Jasons walk. But it sounds like you haven’t discovered his special abilities. He can morph (teleport) as well as shift (evil dead style). And you won’t find anybody without using Sense. Watch my video below to see what he is capable of.

othervoice1 likes this.
  20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You haven't learned how to play yet. Like Maybrick said, you have several options for fast movement. More importantly, once you figure out how to play from both perspectives (Jason and counselor), you'll understand where you're most likely to find counselors.

I had similar experiences before I knew what I was doing. Turns out there's a learning curve. Pay special attention to the places counselors can attempt to repair cars or use the phone. That's where most of them will be hanging out.