Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

That price is tempting, but I too agree that it will come down even more in price. (I would probably bite if it came in under $50, even though it might go lower eventually). I have them all on DVD and 4 of them on blu already so it is not a big deal to get them anytime real soon (and who knows down the road we might get an even better blu set)

2. rift

rift New Member

So just to clarify 45 pages later...I would need to get this blu ray set, the Crystal Lake to Manhattan dvd set, and the Jason Goes to Hell dvd in order to "have it all" ?

3. Do you see

Do you see Member

The Friday series has always been my favorite, I have love to some degree of all the installments, some obviously more (a lot) then others. I don’t think this set could be priced low enough for me to bite (maybe free…maybe). I already own all of them in various incarnations (as others have indicated) and refuse to buy them again until something comes along that I think deserve my money. For me, the true Friday series died when Paramount sold it off, so what my dream set would consist of are those eight films. And seeing as how I’m dreaming right now the only company that could pull it off in my opinion would be…you guessed it Scream Factory (we know that isn’t happening). So I’ve bought my last Friday movie of the existing series (I will most likely buy the new one when it comes out…completionist in me). End rant.:)

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

that's pretty much it.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I already have the From Crystal Lake to Manhattan set. It was certainly worth the dough in 2004 (though I bought it in 2006). Although, there were some screwy moments with the transfer on the first movie that I assume are the problem of putting 2 movies on 1 disc.

And, if you bought the Elm Street set before 2008 or 2009 (when it dropped from the mid-$60's to under $40)- you were royally chumped.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The first movie was fine on my set, but it skips during the opening Corey Feldman dream scene in A New Beginning, even though the disc surface is immaculate.

I remember when it was released, a lot of people were saying Jason Takes Manhattan wouldn't play at all on their set, but mine was fine.

7. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Hahahahahaha... what BS.

I bought the original Elm Street DVD set (snapper cases!) back in 1999 for $128 and it's still worth every penny. Sure I watch the bluray's now, but the sheer design, artwork and care put into that 1999 DVD box is just beautiful.

The price you pay is only worth the enjoyment you get from it.

8. rift

rift New Member

Yeah it's crazy I bought the VHS Elm Street box set when it came out at the same time, but then upgraded to the dvd set when the ps2 came out (my first dvd player). I didn't realize there was a later version of the dvd box set that is inferior?

I haven't gotten the blu ray set...are there reasons for upgrading to it besides the better picture quality? Or is it like F13 where many extras weren't carried over?

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

That's the way you have to look at the huge price drops that will inevitably happen a couple of years down the line ("Alien Quadrilogy" and "Bond 50" spring immediately to mind). I wouldn't trade the hours upon hours of enjoyment that I have already received just to get a lower price way after the fact. But that's just me.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure everything was carried over. Part 1 is on its own disc then parts 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 are split and there's a 5th disc (DVD) of bonus features.

~Matt

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ The blu-ray set also includes a couple Freddy's Nightmare episodes that I don't believe were on the boxset.

I had bought the DVDs individually in their little red snapper cases, and had already bought the individual blu-rays of part 1 and 2/3. I was going to just wait for them to release 4/5 and 6/7, but the blu-ray set was only $25 around Christmas time. Sold my DVDs in a lot for $20 and the blu-rays in a lot for $12. So it was a free upgrade, and I saved a TON of shelf space.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

The Blu-ray set is missing

From the Laserdisc - Extra deleted scenes for A Nightmare on Elm Street
    From the DVD Collection - Theatrical Trailer for the first movie, 3D Ending on Freddy's Dead, various MTV Freddy clips (Although these may be included as an Easter Egg?)

In return it includes some new extras,

2 Episodes from the Freddy's Nightmares series (It's a Miserable Life and Killer Instinct)
    Fear Himself: The Life and Crimes of Freddy Krueger (30 min.)
    Conclusions (18 min.)

13. Myron Breck

:eek: Seriously??? I literally gave away my DVD collection.

Of course, the 3D was abysmal...so it's not a huge loss except for nostalgic moans-and-groans.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Despite owning the blu-ray set, I can't bring myself to part with the original DVD set. I've owned it since 1999.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Check it again. Here are the moments that gave me trouble:

1- Crazy Ralph getting on the bike (in his first scene with Annie and ?Enos?) and riding away.

2- The swinging overhead lamp during Marcie's death.

3- Alice and Bill going into Brenda's cabin in the scene where they look for the axe.

What happens is that the frames start moving in a very strange slow manner and blur the action just slightly but noticeably.

Now, I'll have to check later to see if this happens on my PC but it always happens on my DVD player.

I bought my copy in October, 2006 (for my Birthday). I'm assuming these problems were fixed by that time.

16. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I broke down and got this. and no regrets, for the discs being in the cardboard sleeves, I use a cloth from the eye doctor to carefully take them out. As far as the transfers, since 1-3 are the same as the ones available. part 4 looks better than the dvd no doubt. The one I was really impressed with is Part 5, excellent transfer and the commentary is a real riot. A fun listen.. Iam sure in a few years these will be available separately..

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I really can't see that happening anytime soon. Not saying it wouldn't happen, just saying that could be a long wait.

Even at $35, that's $2.92 a Blu-Ray not including the Bonus disc. Metal tin, book, etc...

The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection lowest was $24.25. That's $3.47 a Blu-ray movie.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Since these titles were licensed, I could see this going out of print before it even gets close to $35.

~Matt

19. Myron Breck

Very true. But seeing how lackluster this set turned out to be, I'm fine with it going out of print. At this point, it's kind of a joke.

20. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Agreed.