Friday the 13th Slashed Scenes Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by NaturesMistake, Oct 11, 2020.

?

If more Friday the 13th footage is ever unearthed, what would you hope they find?

1. Friday the 13th Part V missing gore

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Friday the 13th Part III missing gore and the alternate ending

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Friday the 13th Part VII (better source)

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

With the discovery of part 2's missing footage (I've seen some of it pop up on line already, but still can't wait for my Scream Factory box set, to arrive Thursday) , I started thinking. Footage now exists for parts 1,2,4,6,7, and 8 of the original series. Though there is a version 2 for part 5, with minor differences, we mainly just have stills and in some cases, stories about what is missing in 3 and 5.

Part 7 on the other hand, is frustrating because if it just had less tape flaws, it'd be somewhat useable, though we can at least view what was shot.

What would your next Friday the 13th missing footage discovery be?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If better source for 7 means it can be seamlessly put back into the movie, then that would be my vote.

Otherwise 3 alternate ending.

3. NaturesMistake

Wouldn't that be
    That'd be amazing. Part VII suffers the most out of all of them in my opinion. Though there are several full on missing effects pieces from part V, so that's what I'd like to see in any form. Part 3's alternate ending would be cool, and I suspect an unedited version would be interesting, just to see what that single MPAA revision exactly took out, though it would possibly be a bit anti climatic as I would guess most of the actual effects pieces are in the film (ala. the original Friday the 13th), with the exception of the fire poker re-shoot, if that is even true.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Now this is amazing work!

I think the quality of the uncut F13 part 2 footage is much better than expected.

I’m gonna download the video and use it for my edit. Shame Shout didn’t bother to make something like this, and give us the option, by using branching, to watch it uncut on the disc.

Amazing after all these years to finally be able to see the footage :)

5. NaturesMistake

Holy Crap! A Silent Night Deadly Night Style edit Would 100% be worth it. They should have released an uncensored version. At least we have the footage! These edits look great! Unlike Friday 1, I feel these are 100% worth having added back in, adds much needed extra bite.

Man, Alice, Jeff and Sandra, and Scott's were crazy, and the sheriff's was cool too.
    Mark's I don't think was that different.

6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

For me, I'm ok with those edits from Friday the 13th Part 2. Many if not the majority of kills in the Friday the 13th series are quick kills. I remember seeing The Prowler and commenting in my review that the deaths go on for a few seconds more compared to Friday the 13th. And now I'm getting into Italian horror, which has scenes that are more graphic and more towards mutilation in something like House by the Cemetery. Although, I read somewhere that the Jeff and Sandra death scene came from an Italian horror movie. I can't remember the movie and I haven't seen it yet. I know it's on my list. But I think the longer death scenes aren't really consistent with the series as a whole. Even if they filmed and wanted those scenes originally.

Perhaps with a true reboot, they could make the kills more graphic. But I'm fine with the more tame, quick deaths that we have now.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Bay Of Blood

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

That's it. I put it on my list as Twitch of the Death Nerve. These Italian horror movies are rough. Suspiria was the first Italian horror movie I watched and that opening is something else.

9. Steel76

The reason why they are quick kills, is because the MPAA butchered them.
    I’m not fine with it, and I’m pissed off that they removed all those amazing gore effects.

wago70 and hots4 like this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

Usually I'm against edits that aren't by the director. But this has gone on for so long with Friday the 13th only I guess that the longer deaths don't seen normal for the series to me. I don't know how other movies like The Prowler got away with it.

11. Steel76

It didn't, it got cut as well:
    "The following shots were omitted from the U.S. release to get an "R" rating:
    • Longer pitchfork impalement of Rosemary and her boyfriend.
    • More graphic view of sword going through guy's head.
    • More graphic scene of the girl in the shower being stabbed with pitchfork.
    • More graphic shots of the sword slashing the neck of the girl in the pool.
    • More gore in the scene where the Prowler rams the sword into the guy's neck against the fence.
    • More of a view of the climactic head exploding scene."
    Same with The Burning:
    "The US theatrical release was sloppily cut by approximately 45 seconds to achieve an "R" rating. Gore shots that were shortened or deleted altogether include: scissors being pushed all the way into the prostitute's stomach after which blood begins to spurt, the prostitute bleeding from her mouth, Cropsy removing the pair of scissors from the prostitute's stomach and pushing her out her bedroom window, blood splatting across the prostitute's dresser mirror, Karen having her throat slit clean across with shears followed by closeups and medium shots of her throat gushing blood, the overweight kid on the raft looking down at his chest wound and crying, Woodstock getting hit in the face with blood from his dearly departed fingers, Woodstock holding his stump of a hand and crying as it spurts, blood squirting out of Eddy's mouth after shears are pushed all the way down his throat, Eddy expressing pain as the shears are pulled out, the overweight girl on the raft gushing blood from the slit in her head, front shots of Glazer bleeding from his mouth as he is hoisted in the air via shears and dragged towards a tree, side shot of Glazer writhing in pain as he is pinned to the tree, and very brief clips of blood gushing during the two shots where Cropsy is hit in the face with an axe and pierced through the back with shears. This explicitly gory version was not legally available in the US until Amazon's 2001 exclusive VHS release, as home video releases on Thorn EMI and HBO Video were the same as the theatrical version."

The difference is that both of those movies was available uncut in the rest of the world, compared to F13 part 2, where we all were forced to watch the cut version.

russweiss likes this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree, and some of those edits are shocking, arseholes just flexing their muscles. The throat slash and double spearing I can understand why they edited the rest, I've absolutely no idea.

I've never been able to revisit this movie just for that very reason, the quick edits. I've never been fine with them and just always make me stop and think what could be seen there, then taking me away from the viewing experience. I would definitely like to watch this with those inserts in as appose to watching the cur version.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. NaturesMistake

What's funny is that with the gore effects put back in, Friday II would be about as bloody as the R-rated Final Chapter. Even III left a lot more in vs part II.

I still think the worst in the series and most damaging are parts V and VII as far as MPAA involvement is concerned. VII is just damn hard to watch, and the cut aways in V are annoying, but there are still at least some solid kills on screen. However, there are at least three kills in V that suffered as much as the double kill in part II as far as what was omitted.

The MPAA edits were super uneven in the series.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Do you think? That neck slice in 2 is super bloody I can't remember anything going to that level in part 4 unless your on about Jason demise and my understanding is they got away with that as the censor thought it was closing the series.

Agree VII is difficult to watch as it's so badly butchered. I didn't know so much had been cut from V? Where have you got got this info from? I'd be interested to read about it.

15. NaturesMistake

Final Chapter is pretty graphic, just look at Crispin Glover's death, or the death of the orderly. Give it another watch. Every single scene shows the complete effect, despite the bloodier takes we now have available, where Part 2 was missing entire effects.

The information about part V is pretty common and is available in both the Crystal Lake memories film and book, as well as on the features on the DVD's/ Blu, so there is a lot for you to dig into if you choose and it is pretty accessible. The director himself mentions every single scene was cut extensively on the commentary.
    7F33913A-0FED-4BBB-A49E-92D803FAC6A7.jpeg 7D7809D1-0E98-42C6-AC3A-0C92270914EA.jpeg C18B7818-B692-49CD-8ABE-981EF9A34542.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  16. Christy

Christy Active Member

Friday the 13th Part VII (better source)

17. ImmortalSlasher

I don't know guys. When I see Alice's uncut death and the others, I believe the tone of the movie would be far darker. Alice already had a very surprising and harsh death. But the cut scene is even worse. I didn't imagine that. I'm just glad Terry didn't get a death scene.

I didn't know The Prowler was cut too. But still that movie does have longer death scenes compared to what I was used to before seeing Italian horror movies.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I prefer that personally. In the end Jason is a killer, we may have posters and mugs with his face on, but technically he murders people and we should get to see the devastation he causes it should be horrible and not just a quick and safe glance.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Yeah, the R-rated version, feels like PG-13 now, in comparison to the unrated footage.
    I wish Warner had the international rights to all of them, just like with Part 1, which was unrated overseas.

Who knows, maybe someone will stumble upon more tapes of unrated cuts, in the future.

wago70 likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

I never considered Jason a hero. That's the thing I hate about a lot of more recent horror movies is that they almost have the killer as a hero. At least because the kids are so annoying and unlikable.

When I got back into horror and Friday the 13th, I only remembered scenes from the series. Most prominent was Terry's nude scene, which I couldn't figure out which movie it was from at first. And I remembered Part 6 the most. But Friday the 13th was like a warning to me as a kid. Don't do this or that. I probably wouldn't allow young kids to see an uncut Friday the 13th Part 2. At least not at the age I started watching them.

wago70 likes this.