Friday the 13th part 2 and Prowler...similarities!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Tawny, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I just watched the Prowler. From the get go I noticed the heroine looked a lot like Amy Steel. But I got a big deja vu feeling during the final scene.
    When she is going up against the killer, and he uses a pitchfork, and even stabs it through the door, while we see the look of horror on the girl's face. That reminded me of F13 part 2 as well. And then...she hides under a bed, while the killer is looking around the room for her. While she is under there, a rat appears, almost making her squeal. That was almost exactly like part 2 as well. Nothing too major, but worth a mention I think.

2. The pitchfork at the door moment reminded me of Friday 2 as well...

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I don't think she looks like Amy Steel at all. She actually looks more like Tina Yothers from "Family Ties"...or maybe her big sister.

4. Tawny

I think they look alike. Not exact, but similar.

Attached Files:

5. vette163

vette163 Guest

Serious Similarities.

6. ...and let's not forget that Friday 2 and The Burning have similarities as well

7. Friday the 13th and The Burning could have been filmed from the same script....

8. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

well both films rule..........

9. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I hope MGM doesn't fuck us over.I want an uncut copy of the Burning or I'm going to MGM to do some burning myself. :fire:

10. Dilmo

Dilmo Guest

Amy Steel is more attractive. IMO.

11. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

It's also funny that Prowler director Joseph Zito would go on to do his own Friday the 13th flick in just 3 years.

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I don't think MGM will disappoint in this department. Considering their track record with other uncut releases, I highly doubt they'd do this to the fans. :)

13. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Can't wait for it.I held out on buying the bootleg and gave up on my HBO Video copy.

14. wago70

I'm sorry I just can't get the Tina Yother's thing outta my head.
    Does anyone know if THE PROWLER got a theatrical release? It never played in Nevada or California (to my knowledge...I only had access to San Francisco Chronicle and Sacramento Bee for movie links back then).

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

It did have a theatrical release. You can find the theatrical posters on eBay every so often. It did not do much business, since I believe the company opted to distribute THE PROWLER themselves than opting out the rights. Limited engagements seriously limited its potential.

16. Tawny

Tina Yothers looks different now.

Attached Files:

17. I have to agree with Tawny...there is a hell of a resemblence between the two female leads..

18. wago70

EEEEK!!!!!! What happened to the wholesome Tina I grew up watching?????????

19. she grew up and became the singer of her own punk band

20. wago70

OH, well it makes sense. Back in the late '80s she showed up a local underground Goth club (it was an under 21 youth nightclub). I almost got to meet her. I always wondered what she thought about that nights' dance contest. I bet she had a few laughs.
    Anyway, back to PROWLER: It sounds like it suffered the same fate as some other favorites that only play a week before disappearing:
    HELL NIGHT - got excellent crowds but only stayed a week. The commentary mentions this, too.
    FINAL EXAM - possibly doomed from the start since it didn't seem to satisfy the slasher crowd even then. I saw this opening night and the theater was only attended by three other people.
    THE FINAL TERROR - came and went before we had a chance to see it.
    THE EVIL DEAD - played a week and then vanished! If I recall there were a few midnight showings in San Francisco a few months later.
    DEADLY BLESSING - opened with a co-feature (Wolfen) at the indoor theaters. never a good sign to open with a second feature.
    THE BURNING - another one that played indoor theaters with a co-feature in its first run.
    ALLIGATOR - great film that was stuck with SMOKEY BITES THE DUST during its one week run. An article in FANGORIA makes mention of its mishandling by distributors even though the film got high critic ratings.

There are just too many more to mention. For every sure fire hit like FRIDAY THE 13TH, there were maybe 10 GRADUATION DAYs.
    Oh well, there with us now...and much more appreciated than ever before.