Friday the 13th novelizations...(Anyone read any of them?)

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt89, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I recently snagged a copy of the novelization of Part II off an eBay seller a couple weeks ago for $25 (shipping included). Got it today and I'm even more glad I managed to get it from this guy. It's in pristine condition and $25 was a pretty sweet deal. I've read about half of it in the past half-hour, (it's only like 170 pages) and I was wondering...Who else has read these? What did you think?

Honestly, I think they're quite well-written considering where they're coming from. (I was surprised, anyway at the quality of Hawke's writing.) They offer a lot of insight and background to many of the characters in the story (especially Part 1). I'm pleasantly surprised with Part II as well, having read Parts 1 and VI already. I mean, I KNOW exactly what's going to happen on the next page, but for some reason it's gotten me to keep reading.

Another thing I like about these books is there's some extra story to it. (i.e. you read about what EXACTLY happened to Brenda in the novel of Part 1) Kindof sums up loose ends.

The Simon Hawke novelizations are much better than the Eric Morse novels, anyway. Those read more like R.L. Stine, which bugged me a bit, but I had a feeling they would be in his "style". Having been published in 1994, that was the height of R.L. Stine's popularity.

But yeah, for those of you who have read any of the novelizations...what did you think?

~Matt

2. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Can't say I have, but there was also a series of original novels, three, I believe. One took place at an amusement park, but I don't know much else. For all I know, they could have been Hard-R material or a Goosebumps rip. Anyone read these?

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I have the Michael Avallone novelization of part three (haven't read it)... I wonder how much I could get for it! It's in pretty bad condition and the spine has a scary looking crease, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I read the novel for Part 6 a lonnnnng time ago, but I remember it being a fun read. Hawke definitely knows how to keep the pace up and he can really paint the picture of violence for the reader.

These books go for insane amounts on eBay, so if you can find them cheap and in somewhat decent condition, grab them and don't look back.

5. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I read the Michael Avallone version of Part 3. All I remember is that Chuck and Chili were snorting coke instead of smoking dope, but they were still getting the munchies and falling asleep. Bad, bad, bad. Stick with the movie.

I've read the Eric Morse books too. I'm pretty sure Jason wasn't even in them. As I recall, his mask was possessing different people and driving them to kill.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Only one I've read is FvJ, which was good though short. However, I did read one of the Jason X stories but that one took place after the movie.

7. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I read part one after I found it in a bookstore. I read it in a couple of hours, not many pages and really big print. I enjoyed it.

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    $25 - that's one sweet deal!

9. I ran across two of those Jason X novels at the library today. I picked up one of them and read a few pages, and it seemed pretty amateurish--like a bit of fan fiction, I guess. Still, Robo-Jason starring in a series of novels is cool. I think. :eek2:

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL yeah...I think I kindof ripped the guy off, though. They had a listing on eBay for a bunch of books...however there was no picture. One of the books said, "Friday the 13th Part II - Simon Hawke". (The listing had Part VI too (but I already have that one), a couple Halloween books and a couple NOES ones as well..and it was all going for $1.99) I emailed the guy and was like, "If you send me a picture of Part II I'll TOTALLY give you like $25 bucks for it." He was so happy that he took the listing off eBay, sent me a picture of the book and offered to PAY for my shipping LOL. The book itself sells for like $80 sometimes! Hahaha!:lol:

~Matt

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    He could have gotten "collector" price for it, but I think $25 was fair. I got PART 1 for about $29 last year!
    I paid $2.95 (or whatever the original price was) for PART 2 when it hit the shelves in '87. $25 is fine. Good one!

12. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I'm surprised that no one has thought to scan and post these books online.

I think one of the main F13th sites offers/offered a little snippet of one of the novels, but that's all I've seen online.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

FYI, there are new novels being produced. I've seen a few for sale in a bookstore recently, I believe one of the was called "The Church of the Divine Psychopath" (or somesuch).

edit: Yeah, here they are...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  14. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

I still have my copy of that book from back in the day. It's a little torn and ragged and I haven't read it in years but I remember liking it quite a bit as a kid.

Those new novels hahahaha... how can anyone sit down and read those I wonder? The titles are cool though, I'll give them that. But seriously, I think it's something I need to see and not read.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I ask myself the EXACT same question when I see people bid on these on eBay LOL.

~Matt

16. evileye

evileye Member

Simon's novels tend to do too much back story (some of which is repreated in all 3 books). They also seem amusingly preachy in trying to explain the moraly struggles of these horny teenagers.

The Avallone novel of Part 3 is of interest to anyone looking for an idea of what the older scripts were like (including the dream ending with Chris beging decapitated and various deleted scenes).

17. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

:lol: Best. Title. Ever.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I don't recall the book I read, I think it had Experiment in the title. It was ok, but the book would have been better if they had edited out about 150 pages. The book was way too long.

I think I may just stick with the comics, which are quite entertaining for what they are.

19. Sam

Sam Member

I have Friday 3 and Nightmare 1-3 (all combined into one paperback). They've been sitting on my shelf for a few years now.. may actually give them a read now. :) From what I recall.. they were about $5/each. Never dawned on me these were super collector pieces. Also have cool 'short' big story books of the entire Nightmare series, though they only run like 60-70 pages each and with huge font and pictures every few pages. I went through a phase where I bought a bunch of horror movie novelizations and still haven't read about 75% of them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  20. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I've read the Hawke-penned novels of 1,2, and 6 and the Michael Avallone-penned novel of part 3. I sold them all on eBay years back for ~$60 a piece. As far a novelizations go, they were okay. The writing was fairly tight, if somewhat pulpy. I enjoyed reading them once or twice, but I enjoyed the money I got for them far more.