For A Few Previews More - Trailer Compilation

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by BloodMan, Dec 11, 2004.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

K, this is gonna be short and sweet.
    Collected here on this disc released by Wild East are 36 Spaghetti Western trailers. It's part of there Spaghetti Western Collection, this is Vol. 4. I am having major hard times trying to track down the first release, Fistful of Trailers, but its OOP now so it makes sense.
    Anyway, on this compilation we get all kinds of cool western trailers. I love movie trailers and westerns are some of the best, simply because of the awesome music that accompanies them. I've never heard of most of these movies... Navajo Joe and Fistful of Dynamite are the only ones I've heard of. Navajo Joe is the kickinest movie trailer ever, an Awesome Ennio Morricone score rumbles throughout. (tho he is credited as Leo Nichols) This music I speak of is the stuff that was used in Kill Bill Vol.2 when Bill takes his final steps... not the exact track used but its the same shit anyway. :) (I also own the vinyl LP for this flick... but record player is dead so I can't play it :( :()
    Quality ranges from mehh to good. These things are old and they've been cleaned up as well as they could be I guess. Hell, there old age look makes em feel even better as you watch.
    Also, before each trailer starts, the poster for the film is on screen for a few seconds.
    An 8 page booklet comes with this release as well.
    If you dig trailers... by all means. :)

Nick

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  2. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

You know, I love trailers too but I guess I think that having a whole DVD full of them might get a bit tiring after a while...

What would be nice is if DVD companies would have it so you could buy a genre film on DVD, let's say Western, then have the option of watching the film with a few vintage trailer westerns tagged on to the front of it, recreating the experience of watching it in theaters. I'd be game for that.

3. The most interesting trailers in my opinion are from 1969-1970 before they started rating them like the movies. There was a two year gap after the demise of the Production Code and implementation of the rating system (and all the consequences
    that followed) where very graphic trailers were shown in theaters. While the movies
    had to contain a rating, the trailers didn't. Therefore the coming attractions of films like "The Wild Bunch" which was rated R had a trailer that contained squibs and some of the massacre at the end. Since the trailer itself contained no rating, it was shown with G and M rated films. After some complaints from patrons, the MPAA decided to classify trailers too which meant that distributors toned them down so they could
    play with any film, regardless of rating. Future R rated films had G rated
    trailers for general consuption.

In 1969-1970, distributors did put red cardboard bands on trailers for R or X movies which in theory allerted exhibitors of spots that might not be appropriate to show before G or M rated releases. Unfortunately, once the bands were removed, projectionists got them mixed up. One of my early moviegoing memories was seeing a graphic trailer for "The Killing of Sister George" (complete with naked lesbian breast fondling) at age 10 prior to the showing of the G rated "Stop the World I Want to Get Off". My parents and a number of other patrons stormed off to the manager to complain which is one of the reasons they started putting the rating the spots.

4. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I'm a sucker for trailers from long-lost movies. Spaghetti Western trailers, the one's I've seen on the Anchor Bay Spaghetti Western DVDs, are a lot of fun. This title, as well as it's predecessor, have been on my wish list for a loooong time.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

No trailer narration can beat the one on Dragons Never Die which says "Take your mama to see it before somebody else does!" :D

6. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

This is a fun release....I think my favorite is DON'T TURN THE OTHER CHEEK. The SABATA trailers are good too.