First look at Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by broadwayrock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan Member

I liked the adult Michael I believe this is the best repensantation of him since the original. I admit some of the acting was crappy but overall best remake I have seen in awhile.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Buddy, If this is the worst movie you have ever seen, you really need to watch more movies. Have you seen the Black Christmas or the Fog Remake. There is no way in hell that you can tell me those are better movies.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  3. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

If a band covered Stairway To Heaven, and did it justice, it still didn't need to be done. This was mildly entertaining but really just kind of pissed on the first. At least this one didn't have rappers in it.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

If you get the chance, check out the workprint, and you will see studio interference throughout the film, which really screwed up the arc of Michael's journey in the theatrical cut. Be warned though that the rape scene is pretty vile.

If you can't wait, or don't care to watch the whole workprint, here is the workprint ending.

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Against my better judgment...I saw this film tonight.

Not one single solitary second of it feels like a Halloween film. Yes, the original music was used much more than I initially thought it would be, but Halloween ISN'T just the music. Yes, the original mask mold is there, but the original mask covered in muck and looking mostly grey in the final film does NOT equal the original mask. If Zombie was going to alter the damn thing so much, he might as well have went with a completely new mold instead.

For what it's worth, the first hour is much better than the last 45 minutes...probably because I have nothing to compare it to. The last 45...good God almighty. Trying to squeeze a 90 minute movie into 45 minutes (less, actually, I think) is a ridiculous idea and it plays out just as ridiculous as it sounds. Within the period of only an hour or so (movie time), Myers kills Linda and her boyfriend, kills Annie's boyfriend and (seriously wounds?) Annie, kills a few other misc people, kills Loomis, and then gets shot to death.

Really, there was NO reason for Zombie to even go into the first film's territory at all. I would respect this movie much more if it had been a straight prequel that ends before the first movie begins. The first hour didn't work entirely, but it at least somewhat worked on a slasher rip-off level. Once we get to "Fifteen Years Later" the film goes straight to shit.

John Carpenter's Halloween wasn't about how brutal and tragic Michael Myers was. John Carpenter's Halloween was about three babysitters being stalked and murdered by the boogeyman...THE SHAPE. Zombie's film is a mish-mash of what he feels was important in the first film, as well as plenty of useless bullshit that he believes will improve the story. The Michael in this film is not scary. The Michael in this film acts like he's coked up for about 97% of the film.

The acting was awful. Tyler Mane was a TERRIBLE Myers. Not quite as bad as Durand from H20, but fairly bad. If you're going to have the mask, the music, the holiday, and characters, you're going to need to have Myers' atmosphere as well. This Myers walked around like your average joe. No slow, methodical, almost robotic movements. No laying down on the ground and slowly rising. None of the cool subtle body language that made Myers the eerie boogeyman that he is, is present in Zombie's film. What Zombie has given us is a masked killer. Pretty much no different than any of the killers in any of the 1000 Halloween ripoffs that have been released since '78. Hell, even the killer in Sorority House Massacre seemed more Myers-like than Tyler Mane did in this film. The blame doesn't rest on Mane entirely, as I don't think Zombie has a clue what made Myers work in the first two movies. I get the feeling he thought, "Okay, guys...as long as we have the original mask, it'll work no matter what." Mane could have studied the previous performances like Loree did in Resurrection, but I get zero indication that he did such.

Another bad performance...Malcom McDowell. Good Lord...what a waste. EVERY scene with Loomis is bad. Not just badly written, but badly acted as well. McDowell is talented, but Zombie pretty much gave him nothing to work with here. Even the moments lifted directly from the first film are handled badly. Laurie's "Was that the boogeyman?" got a UNANIMOUS roar of laughter from the sold out crowd I saw it with tonight. I slapped my forehead and then thought "well, at least Loomis' line will save it", only to hear McDowell say (and I quote) "As a matter of fact, I DO BELIEVE, it was." Not that adding three little words can ruin a line, but they completely mess up the flow of this particular exchange. And don't even get me started on how bad the Loomis/Bracken banter was in this film.

What makes me the maddest is...as bad as Resurrection was, I would MUCH rather have seen another shitty sequel in the original continuity than the film Zombie has delivered. Ultimately, this will kill the franchise indefinitely. It'll have a big opening weekend, but take a massive nosedive the second week once the backlash hits. No more Halloweens in this continuity, and unless the Weinsteins want to go back to the original continuity and take the series direct to video, I doubt any other sequels will be made. Thanks, Rob.

As a Halloween remake, this is a shitty film.
    As a Halloween prequel, part of the film is...eh.
    As a slasher ripoff of Halloween, the film works until the last 45.

So, take from this what you will. I won't be seeing this film again. From the comments I heard leaving the theater, quite a few others won't either.

PS: Sadly, Danielle Harris' tits weren't that great. Kind of disappointing.
    PSS: What the hell was Mickey Dolenz doing in this movie???
    PSSS: The highlight of the film for me was seeing Leslie Easterbrook donning a police uniform once again. Brought a smile to my face.

6. Agent Z

In Sheri's defense though, some of the dialogue in this film is just plain bad, especially the over the top exchanges between Sheri and William Forsythe in the beginning. I warmed up to Sheri as the film progressed into the 2nd act at Smith's Grove though, where the dialogue felt more restrained and realistic.

I mean, look at some of the lines Malcolm McDowell had to work with! The audience I was with was howling with laughter damnit. :(

7. Slow

Slow Guest

Great movie, much better than that other print that was out there. Rob improved every single thing that was wrong with the work print.

8. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i know! in a lot of scenes, the characters heads were at the very top of the screen, and were partially cut off on more than one occasion. weird.

i liked the movie a lot. lots of violence, it was handled really well and not too over the top, acting was mostly good, although sometimes malcolm mcdowell had the cheesiest lines. my biggest gripe was that the 2nd half moved too fast. it was like a sped of version of the original. i wanted more of the girls! speasking of which, the Linda character was a complete waste of time!! i was quite shocked to see what little screentime the girl got, it was probably about 5 minutes. what was the point? it was like they had her in there just to throw in a random nude/death scene. other than that, i liked it. 8/10 IMO.

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe the issue isn't with cropping at all but with Rob Zombie himself? Zombie has proved himself incredibly inept at direction with his past two movies and Halloween, from all the comments so far, sounds like little more than a lazy cash-in. It's like Zombie made it for nothing more than a paycheck and a chance to ensure that he could continue to make more personal projects in the future. I'm sure the guy's got a lot of passion but passion will only get a movie made; it takes talent to make a movie good. And, with Halloween, it seems like even the passion is missing. It would be my guess that Zombie and Co. just didn't care enough (or lacked the talent) to frame these shots properly. It was like, well, just put the camera here and make sure the majority of the actors are somewhat in frame. Then again, maybe it's all intentional, like those out of focus shots.

10. lv426

lv426 New Member

I actually didn't mind it. I'd even put it in my top 3 of the series. Dialogue sucked at times, but it was worse in the workprint . That Daeg is one creepy looking kid.

7 outta 10.

11. Agent Z

As of now, I'm putting it in my top 4, and in this order: 1, 3, 2, and Zombie's take.

Yes, I still prefer the workprint, but I had a nice discussion about it earlier with another member and, I can see myself liking the theatrical cut more after catching it again, hopefully next week.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It has, but stupid me, I'm still getting him the benefit of the doubt. You can think whatever you want about his other movies, but at least they looked professionally shot. House of 1000 Corpses looked beautiful from beginning to end (although Rob tried to fuck that up with the schizo editing). But what the fuck was this? I just don't understand it.

Aside from that, I enjoyed it, but NOT as a horror movie. I didn't find it scary in the slightest. But I did enjoy it as a "put-on". I couldn't take it seriously at any level and I can't see how Rob Zombie could have either. Giving him too much credit again, but maybe he intentionally fucked up the movie as a sort of protest so that Hollywood producers would give pause the next time they consider remaking a classic? Unlikely, but only Zombie knows for sure what they hell he was trying to accomplish. I sure the fuck don't...

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Thanks for the link Z. I am going to watch the workprint tomorrow, but count me in on already liking that ending better. I *love* the final shot it is so well done and keeping with the tone I thought the movie had until the ending rolled up and it became any given slasher movie. Plus,
    they really just blew him right the hell away just when he seemed to make an emotional breakthrough. Ballsy and JUST the kind of stuff I like Rob Zombie for. No wonder it got cut.
    Damn you test audience for changing that part. We will see if the rest of the changes were good or bad though.

As of now I am putting it in my top 4, and in this order: 1, 2, 3 and Zombie's take. In case you were wondering. And you know you were.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  14. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I think the theatrical version was pretty awesome.Ive never saw the WP and some of the reviews and your guys comments about the movie being horrible,worst movie in the francise,not watchable.Stop Hating!,I dont like rob zombie just as much as everyone else does but he did do the movie justice and he did what he wanted to do and that wasnt to remake Halloween.The new movie was however very brutal and bloody but you have to expect that from RZ.It was on par with the remake of DOTD,and it was the best horror films to come out in the past year or so.Normally I dont care that people express there opinions but most of you guys are going overboard.Hell RZ even had a memorial for MA at the ending.That was awesome.

Sean

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I wasn't really sold on Sheri Moon's perfomance but I had not problem with Malcolm McDowell's. I may be in the minority here but I've always thought Donald Pleasence's campy dialog was a week point in an otherwise great original.

16. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I've seen plenty of films. I am a Film Studies major, after all :)

Black Christmas and The Fog both sucked, but at least they had coherent narratives. Halloween is a textbook example of how not to make a movie. Horrible changes in tone, no character development, ridiculous montage sequences, lame kills, the worst script in the history of horror movies (cussing is not "edgy", guys), brutally awful performances, a stupid ending, thousands of blatantly noticeable continuity errors (How did Danielle Harris have time to put on her pants, again?) etc. etc.

At the very least, this film is the worst remake I've ever seen. It's just an incredibly sloppy piece of work.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

I saw this yesterday before picking up the boys. Hated it. I don't even want to waste too much time writing about it, so I'll give some bullet points here.

McDowell was awfull. Just awful.

Hated the dirty Michael mask.

Hate Michael as a child.

Hated the backstory that shows how Michael became who he is.

Hated the white trash aspect to it.

Character development was poor. I cared for none of them, Michael included.

The only thing that justifies the existence of this movie:
    Danielle Harris topless for 5 minutes - go Zombie.[/b]

Hated the human nature they gave to Michael.

Acting was awful all around.

Just hated everything about it. Luckily Monsters HD was showing a Halloween marathon last night. I caught the end of first one and was able to get some of this Halloween 2007 filth off of me. I then let my older son watch Part II on his own while I went to sleep.

I'm not anti remake either. I prefer if they do a remake to do a different take on the story. I loved the Dawn remake. But this one just didn't sit with me at all. Nothing about it works, and it certainly isn't scary in the least.

I'm curious to see what Rhett thinks of it. I can't even begin to think he would like this, but he did like Halloween Resurrection, so anything is possible.

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Very weak film. 6/10.

19. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

haven't seen it yet. at least tho, theres no busta rhymes in it.

20. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

Saw it Yesterday. Pretty average. Maybe a 6/10 .. I wasn't sure but now I am, I don't like Rob Zombie's vision on horror movies. No more hype for his next releases.