Film Detective Releasing Ed Wood Films on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Mar 28, 2020.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Dawn of the Discs:
    https://www.facebook.com/dawnofthediscs/posts/1109553419387876

Also included is Giant From the Unknown

After their release of Eegah! this is stellar news. I am curious who picked up Plan 9 From Outer Space but passed on the other titles? I know it's his most infamous film and therefore most expensive to license but if Film Detective picked up the slack it's some very odd calculations which lead to that.

But hey, that might just mean it's destined for UHD instead. :D

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't see myself upgrading these titles (even if Plan 9 was included). I don't watch them often and, well.....it's Ed Wood. How great does it need to look?

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I hope it's true, but I'm a pessimist. It is Wade Williams, and the lack of an identifiable source does not instill confidence.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sometimes Williams has the best materials, sometimes he doesn't. I don't believe his version of Glen or Glenda is the most complete for example. And it's sad to say the films under his thumb will be better served once they pass into someone else's hands. So that either the better materials get back into circulation and help other restorations or a looming threat will lift on those who have better materials but not the legal funds to operate defensively.

I just had a thought with Plan 9 which is that since there has already been a Blu-ray available for some time UHD may be possible and Plan 9 was redirected for that purpose.

Having seen all these movies a few times now I must admit they've grown on me. In fact I don't even consider them the bottom of the barrel anymore. They're entertaining in their own right, creative and more self aware than people give them credit for. After I watched Eegah and enjoyed it immensely I looked at an old review I wrote some ten years ago and it was scathing. I've actually lightened up in my old age!

The more amateur or just quickie independents can be worse in many more ways. The truly bad movies are forgettable and unwatchable. Those are the greater sins. Ed Wood's films can hardly be called forgettable or unwatchable.