Favorite Guests and Guests You Would Like to Meet at Conventions

Discussion in 'General' started by deepred, Nov 1, 2010.

1. deepred

deepred Member

For those that like to sometimes attend the conventions to meet guests that created or gave peformances you enjoyed in movies you have loved forever, which are the ones you enjoyed meeting the most (and least if you'd like) and who would you like to meet?

My favorite that I've met are:

Wes Craven
    Lucky McKee
    Jennifer Tilly
    The ladies of the Evil Dead
    Dario Argento
    Tobe Hooper
    Betsy Palmer
    Heather Langenkamp
    John Saxon
    Elvira
    Linnea Quigley
    PJ Soles
    John Carpenter

And I'd like to meet:

Don Coscarelli
    Angus Scrimm
    Barbara Steele
    Daria Nicolodi
    Asia Argento
    Frank Hennenlotter
    Jamie Lee Curtis
    Nancy Loomis
    George Romero
    Pamela Springsteen
    Margot Kidder
    Sigourney Weaver
    David Cronenberg
    Samantha Eggar
    Michele Soavi
    Jennifer Connelly
    Sam Raimi
    Jean Rollin
    Roger Corman
    Mia Farrow
    Gunnar Hansen
    John Dugan
    Edwin Neal

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. marcx

marcx Active Member

Met Daria Friday at chiller--she was great and coincidentally mentioned she'd love to come to onewithAsia!

3. deepred

deepred Member

If Asia and Daria were at the same one in the US, I would have to go regardless the cost :D

4. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

The most friendly people I've met (I've only been to two conventions, a Monster Mania and one Fango one several years ago) were HG Lewis and Robert Englund. Betsy Palmer was also very nice. Bruce Campbell had about three seconds to spare for you for your thirty bucks.

5. deepred

deepred Member

I forgot to add Betsy Palmer - she was very nice when I met her! I did meet HG Lewis but have not really seen his movies but I got him to autograph a DVD (I had a pass that got me free autographs) that I later sold on eBay and felt kind of stupid having him sign something I hadn't seen. He seemed appreciative of his fans though. Robert Englund, unfortunately, did not interact with me at all but that's okay. I didn't even bother saying anything to Bruce Campbell because he had a prickish aura about him the day I met him but he actually talked to me a little - maybe that's the trick with Campbell - don't say anything and hand him your DVD and he'll not act like a jerk. I told Tom Savini I loved one of his effects in Day of the Dead and he looked at me like I was an idiot. :nervous:

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Robert Bracardo ( I hope I spelled that right)
    Lou Ferigno (Incredible Hulk)
    Ray Park
    Leonard Nimoy
    Glenn Jacobs(Kane from WWE & See No Evil)

7. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Those I'd like to meet:

Heather Langenkamp
    Elvira
    Jamie Lee Curtis
    Jennifer Tilly
    Adrienne King
    Jeremy Renner
    Wes Craven
    Neve Campbell
    Courtney Cox

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Been going to conventions since '97. Some have been great, some not so good. A small list of some of the more memerable:

George Romero
    Robert England
    Doug Bradley
    John Carpenter
    Gunnar Hansen
    Malcolm McDowell
    Angus Scrimm
    Tom Savini
    Betsey Palmer
    Ashley Lawrence
    Corey Haim (RIP)
    Ken Foree
    John Saxon
    Kane Hodder
    Danielle Harris
    Danny Trejo
    Dick Durock (RIP)
    Tom Towles
    Richard Kiel
    Gary Busey
    David Prowse
    Michael Berryman

oddly enough, my most favorite I want to me is Reb Brown :banana:

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

My buddy and I had a great experience many years back at Horrorfind in Baltimore. We shared a table and several drinks with Michael Berryman after convention hours. He was unbelievably down-to-Earth, gracious, and personable. He's also a very interesting guy. We spoke for a while about his security gig working for Bob Dylan and a whole host of other subjects. My favorite memory is kind of ridiculous. I excused myself to use the rest room and he tagged along with me. So I can truthfully say that I shared a piss break with Michael Berryman.

Later that night we had drinks with Reggie Bannister. He was also tremendously endearing. He stayed at the bar until well after last call chatting with us and a small group of other fans. That really impressed me. He stayed out much later than everyone else.

I've hit a few other conventions but with diminishing returns. I did get to briefly meet some other very nice folks. Angus Scrimm is very sincere and appreciative of his fans. Robert Quarry seemed tickled by my fondness for some of his lesser known genre films, like Sugar Hill. He thanked me for telling him that I'd seen it on cable. That meant he was due a check that he hadn't received.

Be sure to stay at the event hotel if you attend one of these conventions. Your best chance to genuinely interact with the guests will be at the bar after hours.

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I tend to go alot of these. There are alot of guests that have been amazing to meet such as John Carpenter, Dario Argento, John Saxon, Barbara Steele, PJ Soles, George Romero, Robert Englund, Caroline Munro, Daria Nicolodi, Catriona MacColl, Amy Steel, Barbara Crampton, etc...etc.
    My top list of people I really want to meet now consists of Rebecca Balding, Dana Kimmell, Kimberly Beck, Russell Todd, Kristen Baker, Ingrid Pitt, John Terlesky, Mary Woronov, Wes Craven, David Cronenberg, and Tisa Farrow...again I could go on and on.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I would love to meet Sir Christopher Lee.Dario Argento and Roger Corman would be two others that I'd like to meet up with someday.

12. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I only started going to these things a few years back when Tom Atkins, Charles Cyphers, Nancy Loomis and Adrienne Barbeau were at Rock & Shock together. Adrienne was the first person I approached and I was so nervous I couldn't speak and almost walked off without paying for the autograph! Charles Cyphers was SO friendly and down to earth that he totally broke me out of my shell and got me to relax. I saved Nancy for last as she was the one I was dying to meet the most and I had a great time talking to her about her sense of humor, her art and her teaching.

I always regretted not having the guts to talk to Adrienne so when she returned this year I had to go back just to talk to her. It was well worth it. A really sweet lady.

I remember being afraid to talk to Ari Lehman because he sort of looks like an evil magician but he was just great. I could have hung out with him all day. At one point some fans approached so I was going to leave but he told me to hold on while he chatted with them and then we continued talking after they left.

But I'd have to say that Betsy Palmer was probably the most amazing of them all. She was like the grandmother I always wanted but never had. After talking to her about her performance as Mrs. Voorhees, she hollered over to Steve Dash, "Steve! These boys are smart! They're not like the others!" then she turned to my friend and me and confided, "Some of these people just don't get it! They come up to me and ask, 'So how did it feel when you got your head cut off?'" She was just amazing. She shared her thoughts on Joan Crawford, Robert Wagner, Jack Lemmon, and she told me she'd be in the area doing Love Letters in a few months, but I never did see it advertised. It would have been great to see her on stage.

My most disappointing meetings were with Kathy Coleman (who pretty much has me convinced that she must be a crackhead), Tom Savini (whose response to me telling him that although I'm not a big fan of remakes I really loved what he did with Night of the Living Dead was, "Yeah."), Danielle Harris (who seemed annoyed that I wasn't a fan of her Halloween movies when I told her how much I loved her in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead), and Shawnee Smith (who was probably the second most obviously not happy to be there guest after Tom Savini that I've ever met). Danielle and Shawnee were just such a disappointment that I gave away the pictures they autographed for me. I just didn't even want them in my collection.

There are SO many that were a part of something I've loved since I was a kid that I would love to meet. Top of the list though would have to be Jamie Lee Curtis, Amy Steel, Dana Kimmell, Richard Brooker and Larry Zerner. Larry seems like he'd be a lot of fun.

13. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Haven't been to a convention yet, but I would love to meet:

Bruce Campbell
    Ellen Sandweiss
    Theresa Tilly
    Betsy Baker
    Sam Raimi

All for obvious reasons of Evil Dead

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've attended a lot of conventions over the years. Some of the most personable celebs I've met are:

H.G. Lewis
    Caroline Munro
    Christina Lindberg
    Reggie Bannister
    John Saxxon
    Michael Berryman
    Austin Stoker
    Al Cliver
    Tom Towles
    Eric Roberts
    Ken Foree
    Giovanni Lombardo Radice
    Karen Allen

Worst celebs:

Adam West (Was charging $60 per autograph on Friday, upped it to $80 that Saturday)
    Ray Park (Jerkoff charged fans $100 per autograph. Way to fleece your fans!)
    **Special asshole bonus goes to any celebrity that charges extra to take a picture with you with your own camera**

Celebs I'd like to meet:

Any Italian horror celeb that I have yet to meet

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've been going to conventions for the past four years. Some of the favourites I've met:

Camille Keaton
    Al Cliver
    George Romero
    Dario Argento
    Tobe Hooper
    Udo Kier
    Wes Craven
    Roger Corman
    Barbara Steele
    Ken Russell
    Malcolm McDowell
    Coralina Catildi-Tassoni
    Herschell Gordon Lewis
    Greg Nicotero
    Beatrice Ring
    David Cronenberg
    Bill Mosely
    Ian McCulloch
    Bruce Campbell

I could go on, but we'll leave it at that.

Worst ones: Adam West (he's an asshole)
    Tom Savini (he's a prick)

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

17. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

best:

michael berryman- shared his fucking french fries with me, very down to earth

stuart gordon- super nice- seemed confused to the fact that he actually directed dolls

dee wallace- great lady

tony todd- awsome guy

worst:

jeffrey combs- fuck you jeff, you're a cocksucker!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Am I horrible for wanting to hear only the details of the bad celebrity signing experiences?

These are great, keep them coming.(details welcomed)

Also about the prices. Why charge at all? I could see maybe, maybe $5 for a photo(that the celebrity provides) to make up for cost of supplies, but that's it. But to charge for your stuff & pictures(with your camera), is lame.

Any celebrity not charge?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I met Tom Savini a couple of times and he was nice both of them. This was during the late 80's early 90's so perhaps he wasn't conventioned out yet. I agree about Jeffrey Combs. He refused to sign a still I had brought with me from Re-animator. I haven't been to any conventions in the past several years. When I last went is when "celebrities" started charging to take photos and sign things. That was a real turn off and I didn't like waiting in the long lines. Hundreds of fans waited to get Quentin Tarantino's autograph at a convention and after two hours of waiting we were told he wasn't going to sign anything. I thought he was a real dick after that.

Some of the really nice people I've met:

Sam Raimi
    Robert Tapert
    Bruce Campbell
    Dario Argento
    Heather Langencamp
    George Romero
    Tobe Hooper
    Tom Savini
    Michael Rooker
    Tony Todd
    Linnea Quigley
    John Saxon
    Elvira
    Robert Englund
    Brinke Stevens
    Ashley Laurence
    Melissa Moore
    Wes Craven
    John Carpenter
    Kevin Van Hentenryck
    Brad Dorf
    Stan Winston
    Julie Strain
    Lance Henricksen
    Ken Foree

Most of these actors posed for photos and gave autographs at no charge whatsoever.

Met Paul Verhoeven and the cast of Starship Troopers in 97 and they signed a poster.

Attached Files:

20. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Tony Todd is probably the one I most still want to meet, although I would also love to get the whole Phantasm gang. Tony seems like he really appreciates his fans from a few interviews I have read with him.