Evil Dead 4 confirmed (+ remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. deepred

deepred Member

They obviously don't know how to be creative anymore when it comes to horror movies. There is just no imagination. I can't see something like Evil Dead, Phantasm, Nightmare on Elm Street ever coming out again with how uninspired so many recent horror movies are.

They remake something fun like Elm Street or Evil Dead, and all you get is a reimaging with more blood (and sometimes not even that) and everything else that made the movies special sucked out. Can they not cast just average looking people anymore? There would be a start. And can only horror movies that are gravely serious be scary? Can they not make a dark film where maybe a tongue comes out of the phone to liven it up a bit and keeps you surprised? Or an animated severed finger becomes a fly? Everything is just so dull and predictable anymore and yet it seems most eat it right up. A big part of the appeal of the Evil Dead series is it's looney madcap charm - take that away and it's not very special. I'd rather watch [Rec] again than this anemic Evil Dead - at least that movie had tension and possessed people that creeped me out.

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I was hoping we'd see some really great demon makeup like in the original film but sadly it never got passed the "goth-chick/dude-wearing-designer-Halloween-contact-lenses-from-the-Lenscrafters-at-the-strip-mall" look. And were those real woods surrounding the cabin or was it a soundstage? There was a certain fakeness about that "location" that I couldn't shake. About the only thrill I got from watching this was seeing that Oldsmobile.

3. TheShape

TheShape Member

Saw it a few days ago. As far as remakes of horror classics go, this one is definitely above average. It is also a good reminder of the superior efficiency of practical effects in horror movies. I guess the remainder of my two-cents analysis can be considered spoilery.

First off, the prologue: I didn't like it at all. It felt unnecessary and belonging to another movie. Especially when there's no real payoff later in the movie.

For me, the original Evil Dead worked on two levels that are kind of diametrically opposed:

1) By not showing too much: the evil force is never shown other than in the form of a deadite of some monster getting out of it. The characters are running and screaming from it. It can make blood drip out of pipes and light bulbs, posess the living, but it is never really seen onscreen.

2) By showing too much in the form of over the top gore.

The remake succeeds with #2 but fails with #1. In the remake, the attempt to pass some vision of a grudge-like "stingy, scary haired girl" as a manifestation of this evil force didn't really worked for me.

Also, I didn't like the way the characters use the book to learn a lot of what is happening or going to happen (tree rape, burns, how to clean souls, etc). The original stayed more cryptic: Ash finds the book, goes through the pages and that's it until close to the end. He doesn't really refer to it to try to make sense of what's going on.

Having just watched the original the day before, I noticed how they kept pretty much the same story beats and characters up to the last act. Each character in the remake has an equivalent in the original. One of the girl is the girlfriend and the other's the sister. The guy with glasses plays the Scott role: he's the one who kills the first deadite while the other (the Ash equivalent at this point of the story) is more dumbfounded by what's happening.

As for this being a scary intense experience, I'm not convinced. I was surprised by how much the original holds up in terms of atmosphere and relentlessnes. The remake tries hard but fails to capture the feel of the original in that aspect. While the decision of making Mia assuming Ash's role towards the end is an interesting one, it prevents the kind of buildup we had in the original with a single character left alone in panic to deal with the evil dead.

In conclusion, a valid effort, but ultimately lacking some of the original qualities.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

A film is a whole, and that whole includes the end credits regardless if there is a post-credit sequence or not. And so tacking on something that HAS NOTHING to do with what pre-ceeded is like a five course meal where the dessert is a flaming dog turd.

But in this particular case, in my opinion, the five courses before the turd were also of poor taste.

5. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PctknG_lOLQ

Around the 1:25 mark.

They filmed it both ways and, naturally, made the wrong decision.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I didn't think it was that scary. Fede Alvarez does manage some creepy atmosphere in the first part, but I thought the movie was more obsessed with the gory dispatches (especially that nail gun scene!) than scaring people. I did love the last 15-20 minutes, where it finally becomes a legit Evil Dead film.

And major props to Roque Banos' score. Amazing work.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well news is this is only getting a limited release here in Aus. Some petitions have gone up to get it wide so maybe that might change. I should be able to get to the cinema here in Melbourne to see it anyway when it comes out on May 9. Still this news is disappointing.

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this today and really enjoyed it - I liked the score that was used as well and I thought the gore was well done. As far as remakes go I thought this was pretty top notch overall. I am interested to see when the blu comes out what all they had to cut out to avoid the NC-17 rating. I'm glad I got a chance to catch it at the theatre

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

From what I heard, they digitally darkened the blood in some scenes, made a few close up gore gags a bit out of focus (like the tongue split, that stays sharp in the Red Band trailer), they also covered up a few things with CGI (some nudity on a demon, etc.) to not get an NC-17. Haven´t heard anything about what had to be cut out though.

The uncut Blu-Ray will probably be insane ;)

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I more or less liked it....not amazing or anything, but I put it in the plus column for remakes.
    Glad there was no humor, or at least intentional humor.

Of course, I've never been a huge fan of this series.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

There was a disingenuous vibe going on that I can't fully put my finger on as to why. I thought the plot was maybe unnecessarily convoluted but overall it was good enough that I want to give it another chance.

I hope it does good. It's pointed in the right direction for sure. We need more horror that isn't afraid to be rated R.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

So it wasn't Bruce Campbell, just a rumor, although there was a scene with a truck.

14. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

I've also heard there's one where she's walking down the street, a portal opens, there's a thud, and the next scene is Ash getting up off the ground.

The only one I'm positive was shot is the one with her walking, getting picked up, and still being a deadite.

Any other incarnation of it I'm not going to believe until I see it with my own eyes, especially the one about the S-Mart truck, that seems way to quirky and odd to fit in with the film.

15. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

A worthy effort, but of course isn't better than the original classic. Some great gore, but the movie was overblown, and downright stupid at times. I liked it ok I guess. I would watch for a second time if an unrated cut comes out.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

To me it sounds like there will be, unless he is talking about a re-release already.

"I think that's why we removed some scenes that we felt were just going slower and losing speed. It feels like I'm commenting on the deleted scenes, but there's definitely going to be an extended version at some point. We'll cut that and there'll be an extended version that comes out at some point."

He also does confirm that's a sequel and not a remake.

"I guess what we're saying is that of course that this movie lives in the same mythology as the original films. It's almost the same timeline. It maybe happens 30 years after the originals. I think that scene at the end is telling you that Ash exists in this universe and that he's not a character who doesn't exist in this mythology. Hopefully we will see him in future Evil Dead movies."

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like this, but hated it.
    *Maybe considered spoilers to some*
    Not scary and no atmosphere at all, just sledgehammer to the head, over the top gore.
    I found the acting and dialogue horrible, and the characters not compelling in the least.
    I was annoyed by the Mia character from the onset. Also, the banality of evil goes a long way in films like The Exorcist, Halloween and the original Evil Dead, here the character's substance abuse made her more susceptible to attack. I found this story arc unnecessary and convoluted. Almost all the key scenes were better executed in the original IMO.
    Also, if you're used to ultra gory films I don't think this is going to turn your stomach. The original may have been the 'The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror', this was 'The Ultimate Experience in Boredom'.
    I was entertained more by 'The Conjuring' trailer, can't wait for that one!!
    I just thought this was pointless and one of the worst remakes yet.

19. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this 100%.

20. killit

killit Active Member

let sleeping corpses lie