Evil Dead 4 confirmed (+ remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

which scene was cut from red band trailer???

2. thehellyousay

thehellyousay New Member

That was the very thing that started it on the wrong foot for me.

Evil is a force, why does it need to be personified beyond the possessions of the people in the cabin. Why would you use a cliched "scary, stringy haired girl" if you were going to personify it?

THE GOOD:
    * Cool story to get them out to the cabin
    * Well shot (the opening and closing shots were gorgeous, etc.)
    * Great music (no metal /rap tie-in)
    * Very little cgi
    * Great make up/effects
    * Some genuinely creepy moments
    * True to the spirit of the original
    * The pace, once it starts, it's relentless
    * I think the director really "went for it" and shows a lot of promise
    * Tributes and nod to the orginal trilogy
    * Ending showdown
    BAD:
    * the not necessary prologue that seemed from another movie
    * The premise used to get them to the cabin isn't used to its potential
    * Paper-thin characters, except for Mia and she's possessed 3/4 of it
    The whole "spirit girl / black tentacle demon"
    * No one to root for
    * Some really bad dialog
    * Some really stiff / bad acting (Due to the dialogue that is delivered or just bad delivery?)
    * Cliched foreshadowing

In the end, I was let down, but I'll give it another chance when it comes out on blu.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I had a blast. For an R rated film to premiere in the theater with this level of gore is pretty astonishing. Loved the practical effects! Cannot overstate how powerful it is when actors interact with the effects, instead acting against nothing. It drew me in so much more.

Agreed with buck135, in that it did seem like an homage, but there was still a "reboot" element that reminded me a bit of the new Star Trek:

the idea that these kids were not the first to be possessed by the book.
    It was a nice touch, that allows for the earlier films to tie into the storyline if they want. I appreciated that the actors were not recognizable to me, although the actor who portrayed Olivia was so beautiful that it was almost a distraction.

I also appreciated that the filmmakers didn't try to "smarten up" the film--hey, it's about dumb kids doing dumb things in a spooky cabin. Enjoy it for what it is!

Again, I cannot say enough about the effects--just brilliant work. So long as you do not go into it expecting Evil Dead 4 starring Bruce Campbell, I think ED fans will like it--maybe not love it, but it certainly honors the franchise and does right by its fans. I'm going to see it again in the theater to support the franchise and hopefully encourage a direct sequel or a true ED4.

Recommended!

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

When Mia is pushing the trap door up with her head and singing while smiling.

5. fceurich39

what so not any of the we are going to get you song is in the movie??????

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

via

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it this morning, and besides me there were 7 other people in the movie theater. I was the only one to stay for the entire ending credits. Loved it. A few months back, there was a contest for the Ultimate Evil Dead fan, and the winner had a chance to see the premiere of the Red Band trailer with Bruce Campbell. Well, I entered the contest, and I was notified by e-mail, 8 or 9 weeks ago, that even though I didn't win the contest, they wanted to know if I wanted a signed Evil Dead poster, because they loved my submission. I e-mailed IGN Entertainment all my info they needed, which was my mailing address, and my e-mail. Fast forward to yesterday. I received my poster in the mail. I opened up the tube, and inside was a 20 X 40 poster of the Evil Dead remake, signed by none other than Bruce Campbell, and he always adds ASH at the bottom of his signature. I was so excited I was laughing and just couldn't contain my excitement when I saw this. I also have Bruce's signature on a little smaller poster of the Original Evil Dead, that I obtain at Spooky Empire's first May-Hem in 2011.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That's AWESOME! Congratulations. Always great to hear when nice things happen to true fans.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Caught up to this today and I thought it was great. I didn't care too much for the prologue and I'm still not sure about how i feel about the ending but outside of that, I thought it was one of the best of the recent remakes. Great atmosphere and bloody as hell. Pretty much as good as I could have hoped for.

10. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Saw it tonight... with a packed theater... a damn good time!! Bloody Fun! Why be picky? ;) :p

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I thought it was pretty awesome.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Nope.

13. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Just got back and I really enjoyed it. Everyone needs to get out and support this so we can avoid the watered down crap that comes out each weekend. I didn't find the acting to be awful and dialogue was fine for a horror flick. I thought it was well shot and had a great presentation. Pacing wise it was great and perfect at an hour and a half.

14. fceurich39

seen it and like it very cool film also the Blu-ray has a early date for july 16th 2013 from dvdaf/filmaf page I just hope it will get the unrated/nc-17 cut most movies these days says it will when it comes to Blu-ray but doesn't.

15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Didn't think it was a bad film but couldn't help but be a little disappointed. maybe if I watch it again I won't have to compare it to the original.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the theater and thought it was alright. The beginning of the film is marred by some terrible exposition, but once people start getting possessed things really pick up. One thing that was strange was the sudden shift in tone from the original film to something more like Evil Dead 2. Once we were in ED2 territory, I was fine with it, but it was not a smooth transition at all. I also have to say the clip at the end of credits was awful. Just lip service to get fans excited. So overall this wasn't bad like most recent remakes have been, but it also isn't the revelation a lot of people are making it out to be.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I didn't like it much at all. It was pretty much a compendium of what I dislike about modern horror films. Pointless opening background sequence and flashback shots, lame boss battle at the end, etc. If you're only into gore I guess that I'd recommend it but otherwise I found the whole thing dull, dull, dull. I know that there was a post credits coda but I couldn't be bothered to stick around to see what it was. So if anybody wants to put it in spoiler tags for me, feel free.

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Well, 95% of all horror classics were bashed when first released...

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There's also books and movies that were 95% praised in their heyday only to eventually be banished to the dustbins of history. So far this remake seems almost universally praised. I don't get it, but whatever. You guys can have it.

20. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i loved it, i'd give it an 8/10. sure it had moments here and there that could've been improved upon, but for what it is, it's super fun. the issues i had with it were the post end credits scene...just stupid. and also, it feels way more like a sequel than a remake. i couldn't help but feel that maybe it was intended to be a sequel and they just decided to call it a remake to see if people are even still interested in evil dead anymore before actually going out to make a TRUE sequel, because throughout the film there are just way too many nods to the original series.