Escape Room - January 4th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Opens in theaters tonight.

Escape Room is a psychological thriller about six strangers who find themselves in circumstances beyond their control and must use their wits to find the clues or die.

New PG-13 horror from Sony. Directed by Adam Robitel (Insidious: The Last Key and star of 2001 Maniacs and I Was A Teenage Werebear).

I will probably catch a matinee sometime next week.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw a story on this movie I think on AintitCool or another site a while ago. I might have been compared to Cube and I put it on my list to watch one day. I hope it's good as I love the Cube series.

3. sade

sade Active Member

I love theCube series but the 2nd one sucked ass.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I had no expectations for this whatsoever, but I thought Escape Room was a lot of fun. Certainly not boring. I really liked all the characters (well, I guess two were kind of jerky, but they were at least interesting enough), so the PG-13 worked because I really didn't want to see any of them die a violent death.

I will say the reason to see this movie, there's an incredible set-piece involving an upside-down poolhall that had me on the edge of my seat. Maybe one of the most exciting sequences I've seen in a while. It really took my breath away.

I'd give it a recommendation. Certainly well above average as far as Sony's PG-13 horror fare goes. I was pleasantly surprised.

chancetx likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I saw it earlier tonight with my best friend who's back from up north, and we both thought it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular or too original, but it does have some enjoyable sets and sequences. I can easily see a sequel of some sort coming if it does well enough at the box office.

I would describe it as a simple mix of Cube, Saw, Cabin in the Woods and Hostel in a nutshell. There is hardly any onscreen blood or gore in this one however, and I guess that's expected given its PG-13 rating.

The only problems I really had with the film were this:

The part where the "black guy" uses the defibrillators on the "overweight guy" to try to amp up his heart rate? WTF??? My friend is a doctor and he even said it made no sense at all. You use defibrillation to give a jolt of electric current to basically "reset" the heart's electrical beats...not to make it beat faster. It's far more likely to stop a healthy beating heart (DUH!) than to amp it into a fast rate. If they were simply going for the "black guy is actually stupid" (not meaning to sound racist or anything) for some reason, then they did exceed with that. o_O

The twists at the end of the film were just a little hard to suspend your disbelief with. I really thought the entire thing was going to be turn out to be some kind of virtual simulation thing and everyone would just "wake up" unharmed at the end or something similar...and my friend said he thought the exact same thing. I guess it does get points for a surprise ending... but the Hostel-ish explanation, and then the magical "disappearance" of all the escape rooms in the building shortly afterwards when the police come to investigate (and then the almost "Supreme Leader Snoke" mastermind to top it all) was all just a little hard to swallow.

I would recommend it though... it's a pretty fun film and it's well shot.