Elite's NOTLD

Discussion in 'General' started by joltaddict, Feb 18, 2001.

1. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

A couple of days ago I put this in my shopping cart at Amazon and it was a "Special Order". Today when I went to buy it it was suddenly in stock. Now it says "Ships in 24hrs". Think maybe the vendors are catching on?
    Anyway a heads-up for anyone with GCs to burn.

2. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Yeah, they posted some info on HorrorDVDs.com about it being still available - it is only a myh about it being a rare DVD. I guess it is just the price and low demand that stops shops actually keeping it in stock all the time.

3. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

yeah, it bugs me that everywhere I go, all I see are AB's 2 disc disgrace, and those shitty $6 DVDs. Oh well, I'm glad I got it back when it was pretty much your only option to have the Elite one :) I've noticed on a whole that Elite DVDs are harder to find, as I can't find the Special Edtion of Evil Dead anywhere either.

4. MovieFan

MovieFan Guest

I got my Elite NOTLD last summer for free (aka GCs :)) at Tower Records.

As with TobalBox, all I see now in stores now is the crappy AB 2 Disc LE and the cheap ass $6 discs.

5. I found my copy of Elite's Evil Dead at my local A&B Sound. A little pricey, but worth every last penny, if even for the commentaries alone. I also found my copy of NotLD at Sam the Record Man, right next door. :D I'm still confused as to whether or not NotLD is OOP or not. Tons of people tell me it is, tons of others tell me it isn't? What's the deal?

6. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

it is NOT out of print, it is just that places are not really restocking it. My guess is that they see the AB release and think that's the one to get (Grrrrr)

7. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I don't think so - it probably comes down to price and quantities - I imagine they get quite a few DVDs from Anchor Bay, but hell,

Q: What exactly does Elite have on their catalogs that is a) a good transfer; and b) vaguely popular?

A: Evil Dead Spec Ed and NOTLD THX. I can't think of anything else of theirs that is worth getting. I have a couple of other Elite titles (Eaten Alive and Maniac) but they are crappy transfers.

8. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

Sounds like this is the edition I need to buy to replace my VHS copy.

Is Elite's edition considered to be the best?

9. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Yep, it's the one to get. This disc is heads above Russo's Hackmaster 2000 edition and the bargain basement NOTLD discs.

10. Mark Relford

Elite's I Spit On Your Grave has a nice transfer, but it's barebones. Fortunately, I found this gutter classic used for $9.99, so it was worth getting.
    I would love to see Maniac Cop get a better transfer. I wish Anchor Bay would get on the ball and re-release it!

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Elite really ruled on Laserdisc, but has totally screwed the pooch on DVD. I just got their LD double feature of Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil.

Other Elite LDs worth it:
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (better transfer than the DVD)
    Entire Living Dead trilogy (especially Day)
    Evil Dead 2 (with red disc)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    God Told me To (just plain weird, man)

Really....what DID happen to this company?

12. Squiggy

Squiggy Guest

Don May left...

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Hey, Elite's Re-Animator DVD is an excellent disc, their best in my opinion!

14. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I dunno what happened to elite. They seemed to be the premium cult horror company, and then nothing. Back in the end of '99 when they released Evil Dead, Anchor Bay was the poor cousin. How things have changed.

I don't know if Don May's leaving had everything to do with it, but you could be right. The Synapse transfers I have either seen or heard of are quite good. Much more so than the barely tolerable garbage Elite have inflicted upon us like Eaten Alive and Maniac. Those transfers are even garbage in old laserdisc terms.

I guess Re-Animator is great in terms of extras, and good for it's time of release, but I don't think it would cut it picture wise anymore. I could be wrong here - it is a while since I have seen the Elite Reanimator DVD. It is not 16:9 enhanced, I believe.

But getting back to my initial Q&A, it still comes down to Noght of the Living Dead and The Evil Dead being the only titles people still buy of theirs - Reanimator is no longer in print, and I Spit is one of those films that is not really popular, and in the mind of no-one I know of a good film... People only buy it for it's controversy factor.

15. Mark Relford

Call me crazy, but I actually like I Spit On Your Grave. It's not a good film, but it's perversely memorable. (Ouch, that tub scene!)
    A commentary track with Zarchi would've been nice.

16. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

Mark,

I just picked up Anchor Bay's "I Spit" collectors edition and agree with you. Not the best movie but it does have something going for it.

I picked it up at the low price of $9.99 too.

17. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Not only did I not have to wait on a "special order" like I was expecting but they gave me a free upgrade in shipping! I got it today.

What REALLY SUCKS though is my player spazzed out on me and I had to bring it in for repair... this will be sitting unopened for ten days. I was all ready to use my Monday off to watch Phenomenon, Demons and Rabid. So now I have a four DVD backlog :mad:

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

This is actually my 4th Elite DVD, I already had Evil Dead, I Spit on Your Grave, and Horror Hospital.

I like I Spit on Your Grave.