Dracula Vs. Frankenstein on Blu-ray and DVD from Media Blasters!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Caretaker

One of my all-time favorite bad movies. "Remastered for optimal quality" remains to be seen. I have low expectations for the Blu-ray, but consider me somewhat interested.

3. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Al Adamson on blu-ray? Who would've thought? Media Blasters are releasing DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN in hi-def through their Shriek Show arm. The story basically involves ol' Drac digging up the Frankenstein Monster and trying to get him reanimated, but there's so much more going on: outlaw bikers, missing sisters, a rampaging axe-murderer, hippie communes, sideshows replete with ticket-taking midgets, etc., etc.

No word on print source yet, but MGM Restorationist Darren Gross had this to say on my Facebook page (in response to Fred Olen Ray wondering how good it could look): "The main title sequence was shot in 35mm, the rest in 16mm. If they use a clone of MGM's HD transfer, it will look gorgeous. We used the 16mm originals for the body of the transfer and 35mm originals for the main title. Still grainy, of course, but it's the best it will ever look!"

Pre-order links:
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0081AWUVI
    Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0081AWV9Y

The trailer:
    http://youtu.be/wGspm80jaZg

[​IMG]

4. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I remember trailers for this airing on TV when I was a kid. I was obsessed with the mushy-faced Frankenstein's monster.

5. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Heard of it but never seen it. Looks like a lot of fun though. For that price I might just give it a shot.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

MGM is fueling THIS network with anything they can get their hands on cheap so they may have licensed the HD transfer from the rights owners making it likely Media Blasters will be using the same elements. It's a good idea for Media Blasters to do a quick cheap turn around for easy money which they really need right about now.

At $15 I'll probably pick it up soon.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    One of my all time favorites as a kid. Definitely getting it!

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Caretaker

Deep Discount currently lists the Dracula VS Frankenstein Blu-ray at $9.49.

9. Shannafey

thanks!!!

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about transfer quality on this one. The MGMHD broadcast version was truly startling. After years of watching the terrible full-frame Troma DVD I was absolutely dumb struck the first time I saw it. It looks better than I ever imagined was possible.

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

looks pretty funny - is that Frankenstein or Leatherface ? lol never seen this so I might give it a chance. Lon Chaney Jr must have been hurtin for some cash by the time the 70's came around

12. shape22

I'd definitely rate this a must-see cheesy bad film. The production values are horrendous and there's not a legitimately effective moment in the whole flick. But it's chock-full of bad effects, technical blunders, and all kinds of unintentional humor. The portrayal of Dracula is utterly ridiculous--and just as bad as the makeup for the Frankenstein monster. Some of Dracula's dialogue has to be heard to be believed.

It's definitely pathetic to see how much Chaney and J. Carrol Naish had deteriorated by the time they appeared here. Those guys definitely deserved some more dignified twilight roles. Seeing them like that always makes me a little sad. They both look like they have less than 2 hours to live.

Be sure to put down your drink when Forrest Ackerman's cameo starts. Otherwise his conversation with Dracula might make you spit all over yourself.

If you enjoy trashy horror flicks from this era you can't go wrong with this one. DVD Pacific's Blu-ray pre-order price is only $8.24.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Funny story about that. I can't remember where I read it, but both men were extremely sick at the time this was filmed, Chaney with cancer and Naish with emphysema (although unlike in the movie, he wasn't actually confined to a wheelchair). And they both knew how sick they were, and one day on the set somebody walked by the dressing room that the two men shared and heard them talking.

CHANEY: Well, I guess we're both going to die pretty soon.

NAISH: Oh shut up, Lon.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  14. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I wouldn't pay a dollar for this shit. I watched it on Netflix several months ago. It's not a fun, "so bad it's good" movie, it's just plain bad. One of the worst I've seen.

15. Shannafey

They showed it on this channel??? I just got it and love it!! What a great station for fans of horror/scifi and exploitation. I can't believe what they are showing!

16. shape22

It was a true shock. The Troma DVD makes it look like one of the worst shot films of all-time. So I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to the effort of preparing an HD transfer. But it looks like a completely different film. I've never seen a more dramatic leap from DVD to HD.

MGMHD always seems to offer some great genre stuff. The last few months they've been showing a lot of Bronson films. And lately they've had some great blaxploitation flicks. Coffy has been on all the time. I never get tired of that one.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Caretaker

This won't be released any time soon. Posted on the AV Maniacs thread yesterday:

18. Shannafey

Yeah, I'm loving the station!! I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from DeepDiscount!!

19. Shannafey

Ticks me off that I jumped and pre-ordered expecting it to be out last week. Now it shows Sept 25th!! Well, at least I know it's paid for and I'll get it when it comes out!!

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Caretaker

I pre-ordered this too. Media Blasters is once again unreliable with their street dates. At least there are a lot of new releases (from other companies) to hold my interest until then.