Dorado Films Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Angelman, Nov 29, 2016.

1. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i'm still awaiting my copy but all your comments translate for me to "mediocre/acceptable product"...

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Pretty much.

It's also worth noting that this is a single layer BD-25. I didn't really observe any encoding issues, but I'm also only watching on a 42" screen at an 8 - 9 foot distance.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Mine arrived today too, a day early I might add. Ended up getting #011. I only have one single feature release from Dorado & that would be Night of the Scorpion. I highly doubt there will be a new single feature release by New Year's Day. Hopefully the second volume of Jess Franco's Forgotten Films arrives before Halloween.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

As long as I get my Jess Franco, Dorado’s done right by me.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my Larraz Blu-ray set today...

I'm not going to post my number, since it's the "coupon code" also...so it seems like somebody could just easily enter that on their website as the code. o_O I did get under #200 though.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched Emma, and it's just as we would expect: a down and dirty desaturated theatrical print with no real attempt made at a restoration. Lots of debris and scratches but minimal frame damage. It looks like when they did the telecine of the first reel there was something on the scanner and left a green blotch towards the upper right side. It held steady regardless of any natural frame weave and at one point appears directly over frame damage so it's not from the elements. It's gone by the second reel; probably cleaned off before scanning the next reel.

The reported stretch wasn't apparent to me, but then I wasn't looking for it. Maybe because I was staring too much at the green dot and my mind just relaxed when it finally went away. My biggest problem was the tiny subtitles. Especially since there's rarely any portions with huge chunks of dialog, the small font really wasn't necessary.

As for the movie itself, the first half is rather dull with a nonsensical plot that I'm not even certain I should believe but based on the rest of the movie should be taken at face value I suppose. The second half is a bit better and more of a horror film (not that is HAS to be a horror film but in the second half it becomes clear that's what it was going for). Even the production seemed to switch from cheap lenses and flat sets to a large set with much more attention to camera work. They must have saved all their money for a real crew only for the second half!

If they had started the movie in the second half, and perhaps filled the movie with a slow reveal through flashbacks, it might have had a few surprises too. Instead everything's pretty well laid out with little for the audience to guess at to make it suspenseful. The plot seems ripe for some nudity and girl/girl action but that never materializes either.
    Also the rapist, of all people, is the survivor. Kinda hard to get any satisfaction from that ending: a couple good people die, a couple not so good people die, and the real bad guy lives. :confused:
    If you don't mind waiting 45 minutes to get to an old dark house movie with just a pinch of Giallo sans-mystery, it's not bad.

I should be able to check out Estigma tomorrow night.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Katatonia

I agree with you about Emma. It's decent, but not a great film. The horizontal stretching was apparent to me, but not all that distracting. It looks like they simply stretched a 1.66:1 ratio to 1.85:1. I found the telecine wobble far more severe and annoying.

Estigma is definitely a far better film, and the transfer is the superior of the two on the disc. The English dub works okay. I also have the film in the old BCI "Crypt of Terror: A Collection of Nightmares" DVD set, but to be honest I'd have to pull that out and check what the A/V was like. I probably hadn't watched that in close to 10 years now.

That bonus "short film" on the disc though... geez. It is definitely short — I've seen many trailers that are longer. Not bad, but you can blink and miss the story. The director of that does the Audio Commentaries which I have yet to listen in on.

X-human likes this.
  8. hellraiser40

last weekend I received my Larraz double bill and today i decided to do a very quick check-up on the quality

first of all i want to say : with all the stuff companies like VS, Arrow, Second Sight, Camera Obscura,... put out, it was startling to see these transfer but I expected worse (as a BluRay transfer i would rate it 4/10, but all in all it seems very watchable) and these are obscure films that probably won't get released anywhere else (on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they did)

i get the feeling that Dorado atm are a company that really TRY but they are a long way from reaching a standard of quality that we can expect from others

the inclusion of a 50%-off coupon is a really nice gesture tho

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I still haven't received mine. Should I be worried?

10. Katatonia

They might be... Arrow are reportedly working on a Larraz box set.

Did you get a tracking number?

11. zbinks

I applaud them for maintaining an open dialogue throughout the whole ordeal and following through on the release, but my praise would have to end there. At the end of the day it took them over a year to release a disc that is basically two raw transfers, 4K or otherwise, authored to a single layer Blu-Ray with lossy audio.

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

After posting this I did a little checking. I have written down that I paid $30.91 for this disc on 4/6/17. I pre-order a lot of titles so I keep a record to make sure everything gets received. In either case I checked my Paypal account as well as my credit card account and I can't find a payment in that amount for that time period. For some reason I guess payment didn't go through and I didn't catch it until now.

13. hellraiser40

that would be most fortunate and unfortunate, hopefully they pick something else than these 2, even though it would (most definitely) mean superior end results

14. Katatonia

I hope they at least get Estigma for their set, as I do really like the film... and it could certainly be a better transfer.

zbinks likes this.
  15. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/DoradoFilms/posts/10157824253925809

russweiss likes this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

...I'm kinda surprised. I figured these guys would just keep chugging along like so many other distributors do. But these last couple of years have been extraordinarily problematic for them. Add to that the fact their Spaghetti Westerns probably didn't do so hot, couple with anything else non-horror related they might have, and it just might not make financial sense anymore.

There's a good chance Mondo Macabro might pick up the reigns on some of these licenses. They've talked before about possible joint efforts. Would love to see those guys pick up were Dorado left off.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I ordered my Franco vol 2 set over 2 years ago. I’ll be extraordinarily pleased if it ever sees the light of day.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Jared with Mondo Macabro commented on Dorado closing shop:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16730359&postcount=743

And it also makes sense for why they're throwing in the towel. If it takes them over a year or two just to put together a release then they'll just be wasting their time and money as at best they'll sneak something out just before their license expires; and legally they can't sell what they've produced anymore so they may just end up with unsold stock they have to dump and take an even bigger loss.