Does anyone remember DARKROOM 1981 abc show??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've read on a number of sites that the 80's horror anthology NIGHTMARES was comprised of unaired episodes of DARKROOM.Can anybody confirm or deny this ? I know NIGHTMARES was said to have started as a TV project and I know that the opening murder scene was added after the fact to land the film an "R'' rating but WERE these really DARROOM segments that never ran ? Certainly NIGHTMARES director did a ton of TV work over the years.Anybody know the full story here ?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've always heard that as well.

"Mario Di Leo" was one of the Directors of Photography on both Darkroom and Nightmares. Craig Safan was a composer on both. Christopher Crowe and Jeffrey Bloom were writers on both also. Some of the other Crew members are the same on both as well. It all seems to fit...

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The recent book "Destroy All Movies!!!: The Complete Guide To Punks on Film" (which I HEARTILY recommend!) says the same thing.

4. Erick H.

Thanks to Katatonia and Maybrick for the info.Yes,it all seems to fit !

5. startide

startide Member

Having never seen this series (which makes its local release a very curious choice, FWIW), is it worth picking up? I love anthology TV!! I know it'll go OOP sooner or later so really want to know if it's worth my while picking it up.

My expectations are always pretty low and the only one I didn't like as much as the others was The Outer Limits, and even then only because that was more scifi than horror. There's an 80s ep of Alfred Hitchcock Presents that still sticks in my mind today as one of the creepiest things I've ever seen (but also because the storyline later turned up almost verbatim in an RL Stine novel!).

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I haven't seen an episode in almost 25 years, so I have no idea as to how well it holds up with age, but as a kid I enjoyed the series quite a bit when it was on the air.

7. Erick H.

I bought the Australian release last year and thoroughly enjoyed seeing them again,blew through them very quickly.Obviously it has the look of ABC shows from that era and isn't overly graphic but the scripts were quite good and they had a lot of good actors in the lineups.Always loved Coburn too,cool guy !

8. startide

startide Member

So worth the purchase then, Erick H?

Gore doesn't turn me on and ghost stories make me cry, so I've always loved TV horror, in all its forms (movies, series, anthology, kids shows - hello Are You Afraid of the Dark?). It's just most of my local purchases are usually under $10, so three times that is quite the investment. :D

9. startide

startide Member

So worth the purchase then, Erick H?

Gore doesn't turn me on and ghost stories make me cry, so I've always loved TV horror, in all its forms (movies, series, anthology, kids shows - hello Are You Afraid of the Dark?). It's just most of my local purchases are usually under $10, so three times that is quite the investment. :D

10. Erick H.

Well,I would say if you are a nostalgic fan it is well worth the investment and you MIGHT even be able to find a deal online.If your just a casual fan of this sort of thing,well,use your own discretion.If you liked older horror themed shows like NIGHT GALLERY and THRILLER (the old Karloff show) you might wanna give this a spin.My guess is if it shows up Stateside it will be one of those M.O.D DVDR things that everyone seems to be doing now.The Australian set has a solid picture/sound quality and includes a copy of the original press kit.I enjoyed them.

11. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

I personally love this show, it's got some great episodes that are just as good as some of the other more well known anthology series.

I ordered the Australian release from diabolikdvd, and I'm very glad I did.

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

yeah i might get it too..

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    FUCK Diabolik! That price is ridiculous. Even with shipping from Australia, this will be a better deal. And the Aussie dollar is about the same as ours. This price will be about $30 shipped. Diabolik is $40 plus shipping.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/DVD/darkroom-the-complete-series-2-disc-set/dp/812743

I haven't upgraded. I still have my dubs from Scifi Channel. I have fond memories of the show when it originally aired. I should pull the trigger myself.

14. Katatonia

I don't see the problem. Diabolik are an importer who needs to make a profit on the titles they import/sell. Other US importers like Daaveedee charge similar.

You can almost always order direct from the country of origin cheaper. Some folks just don't like to order from overseas though.

15. startide

startide Member

I find that curious. It's not 1994, FFS! Internet security has moved on in almost 20 years.

But I am the girl who used to order things over email with her credit card details in them. In fact, in the 15 years or so I've been using the internet to buy stuff I still think the one fraudulent purchase that appeared on my CC was via someone who had my details legitimately.

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I remember watching this as a kid but I can't say I remember any specific episodes. Got me thinking of another short lived series around the same time, Cliffhangers, which I remember enjoying quite a bit. I seem to recall a Dracula themed storyline in that one. No idea if either would hold up now watching as an adult.

17. startide

startide Member

Wow. That's the best price I've seen thus far! I'd price searched extensively but not that extensively, it would seem. But that said, EzyDVD is generally one of the more expensive retailers here (most titles are full RRP with few discounts), so that price is genuinely surprising. Most prices I've seen were only a few dollars off, with absurdly offensive postage prices (some on ebay want nearly $10!!).

At a price like that, even I'm prepared to gamble!!

18. Katatonia

I don't understand it either, but it still holds true for many people.

I often receive overseas shipments faster than I do for those shipped here within the US.

19. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

Yea this was actually my first time buying an import title from them, usually order from a website based in the country of the DVD release.

But I admit, sometimes I see a release and I'm impatient and order it from the closest place because I "have to have it now". :eek:

This was the case here.....amazon prime speeds have spoiled me

I don't think I've ever had an import get to my doorstep quicker than a domestic order though......

20. Erick H.

I remember CLIFFHANGERS,it was on NBC.As I recall it had three seperate story arcs,one about Dracula in the modern day,one an action show with a female lead and one that was a lot like the old Roy Rogers serial about an underground kingdom with Flash Gordon style technology being visited by a cowboy hero.Wish that would turn up somewhere,I remember it from when I was very young.
    If I'm not mistaken some episodes of the Dracula segment were cut together to make a TV movie that used to turn up on syndicated television.

Last edited: May 26, 2012