Doctor Sleep - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally saw Doctor Sleep today, after putting it off last weekend to see Jojo Rabbit instead. I kind of didn't want to go because the running time is so off-putting, but I'm really glad I did. I thought it was great! Much better than It: Chapter 2.

I haven't read the book, but I'd imagine my issues with the film are directly from the book. I'm way more drawn to the Overlook and it's haunted history than the psychic kids route King chose to take. Still, I like and appreciate that King doesn't cater to audience expectations. As for what's on the screen, I think Flanagan did a terrific job. Rebecca Ferguson is definitely a standout, I found her both elegant and frightening. Jocelin Donahue and Alex Essoe are both in the cast, as well as previous Flanagan players Bruce Greenwood and Jacob Tremblay (kid, where are your parents!?!). Having just watched Arrow's The Prey blu-ray, the actor who plays the killer (who is interviewed on the disc and you may recognize from Twin Peaks) is also here.

Patience is definitely required, and if you come wanting a 2.5 hour version of the Ready Player One scene, you will be disappointed. The Overlook is used here as a pay-off. It builds really well, and there are the emotional scenes we expect from Flanagan throughout (the old man and the cat got me good). A bulk of the movie is basically The Fury lite.

I will say that Before I Wake is still my favorite Flanagan movie. Still, as far as a 40 year belated sequel to a beloved horror classic goes, this was pretty damn good. Very engaging movie.

I do have a question for those who read the book:

This movie does the thing from both King's novel The Shining and Mick Garris's miniseries where they forget to dump the boiler, resulting in the hotel exploding. Considering there is no Overlook hotel left for the novel Doctor Sleep, how does it factor into the novel? I assume it must have a drastically different finale.

2. CPT HOOK

To answer my own question, I read the novel synopsis on Wikipedia. Based on that, I think the movie has a much better ending than the book. The change is kind of clever.

Also, I was skimming through the cast on IMDB and my jaw hit the floor when I realized who played
    Jack Torrance!
    Unrecognizable!

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've actually seen the movie twice now. That is very rare for me to watch a film more than once in the theater. I'm actually considering seeing it again. I brought my wife with me the second time I saw the film and while she said she enjoyed it she thought it was too long. Everything in the film works for me. It's creepy, brutal, and beautifully acted.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Yeah. I didn't recognize him at all.

I am really surprised this hasn't been doing better at the box office. It's easily one of the better (if not one of the best) horror films I've seen in the theater this year. Maybe because it wasn't released for Halloween for some reason.

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Gonna try and catch this Thursday. I'd like to support it while it's still in theaters.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of Doctor Sleep fans. Never read the book, but really enjoyed what Flanagan brought to the movie. While it did have fun psychic kid stuff, I was surprised it included what may be the most disturbing scene I've ever seen in a theater. Definitely the best horror film I've watched so far this year.

russweiss likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

I wonder if It: Chapter 2 might be somewhat to blame? It did well at the box-office, but I'm not so sure it was well received. People may not be up for another 2.5 hour Stephen King movie so soon after being disappointed by one just two months ago. Shame.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

When I first saw the trailer for Doctor Sleep it got me excited. Then they said the title which honestly isn't very good. Had they marketed the film as The Shining Part 2 it certainly would been a much more recognizable title. I also agree that It: Chapter 2 was very good.