Directors M.I.A.

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Aug 13, 2010.

?

vote

1. Fred Dekker

46.9%
  2. Jack Sholder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Joseph Ruben

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sean S. Cunningham

4.1%
  5. Alfred Sole

2.0%
  6. Tony Maylam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jeff Lieberman

10.2%
  8. Danny Steinmann

6.1%
  9. Joseph Zito

4.1%
  10. Ken Wiederhorn

4.1%
  11. Vernon Zimmerman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Charles E. Sellier Jr.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Romano Scavolini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Juan Piquer Simón

6.1%
  15. Tom DeSimone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Meir Zarchi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Paul Lynch

2.0%
  18. Jim & Ken Wheat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Stephen Carpenter & Jeffrey Obrow

4.1%
  20. other

10.2%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Most of these listed haven't directed in ages (some are probably too old by now).
    Vote for your fave you miss the most anyway.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Fred Dekker is still young and showed a love of the genre in his work. Plus, he is the favorite director of Tom Atkins. He's an excellent writer too.

3. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Fred Decker has 2 solid seminal genre Movies under his belt, He's like the Horror version of Terrance Malick.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I agree fully! ;)

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Fred Dekker is a really talented guy who is able to make really fun movies with the bonus of having a big studio gloss. It seems like he could have really become a name like Craven or Carpenter if his stuff had been well marketed and released in their day, but his movies just seemed to get neglected in original release...would love to see him do a comeback film now that his movies have really found their audience.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Thought Michele Soavi would be a shoo-in on this one

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

was going to say Fred Dekker, but you're absolutely right, so i voted other. the problem with directors like Danny Steinmann, is that he'd never be given the budget or the freedom to make a movie like savage streets today. no way in hell. all the other guys, including Dekker, i think, would be hampered by expectations built around nostalgia. soavi, on the other hand, could still make something completely current.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Tough call.I went with Ken Wiederhorn,I don't think he gets enough credit for SHOCK WAVES and EYES OF A STRANGER,both of which I think were in the shadows for a long time.It took ages for the later to hit DVD.He creates an eerie mood in both,even in bright daylight.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Dekker made two wonderful flicks, but I went with Lieberman. Going from Blue Sunshine to Squirm to Just Before Dawn makes me wish he'd continued with a few more quality flicks in the years afterward.

10. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i voted for the guy who i think directed Pieces. if i just had one more movie on the shelf that makes me laugh as much as that one, I'd be all good.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Would've loved to see what Leif Jonker could have done with an actual budget and real actors. Darkness is pretty fucking awesome for a director with no experience handling almost all production positions and using teenage non-actors.

12. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I think you hit it on the nose with your first four listings. Fred Dekker, Jack Sholder, Joseph Ruben and Sean S. Cunningham. These are four very talented genre directors that should be consistently working.

I went with Fred Dekker, because of my love for "The Monster Squad" and "Night of the Creeps"...both masterfully done B-films, that stand their ground and solidified remembrance amongst the A-list horror films of that time. He's also a talented writer, he was one of the writers on "Ricochet" a very underrated Denzel Washington actioner, that reeked of fun B-film writing done right (also has a legendary villainous John Lithgow performance), and his handful of "Tales form the Crypt" episodes were nicely written as well. If he was given a chance (I'm sure he's trying), he could definitely belt out some old school independent B-films done right.

Same for Jack Sholder. "Alone in the Dark" and "The Hidden" are prime examples that he's a talent to be reckoned with. It's a shame that he's only given direct-to-video drek to work with.

Joseph Ruben always delivered. If any of you haven't ventured through his Grindhouse films early in his career, do so. "The Pom Pom Girls" and "Gorp" are a lot of fun. "Dreamscape" blew me away when I first saw it, and I still love it today. "The Stepfather", well 'nuff said here. Even his more mainstream thrillers like "Sleeping with the Enemy" (always admired Patrick Bergin's performance in this) and "The Good Son" have a nice pace to them. I was not a fan of his last three films ('Money Train", "Return to Paradise" and "The Forgotten") but that doesn't mean he doesn't have talent left.

Sean S. Cunningham is the man that introduced us the Voorhees family. But besides "Friday the 13th", there was also a trio of films in his canon, that are to be recognized "A Stranger is Watching", "The New Kids" and "Deep Star Six". Each one has certain overlooked value.

I would add John Lafia to this list. Another talent that does TV drek. What a waste.

-UJ

13. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I can vouch for Jack Sholder's whereabouts--he's currently teaching film at a college in North Carolina. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot to direct something--he's a nice guy, and I've really enjoyed the movies I've seen of his.

14. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I would have to vote for Soavi under "other" as well. I still have never seen The Sect though, so one of these days I'll be able to see a Soavi film that at least is new to me. With that in mind is The Sect ever going to get a R1 DVD release? I remember Anchor Bay was talking about it many, many years ago.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Dekker. I actually traded e-mails with him a while back about a project he was trying to get going - I would bet we'll hear from him again.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Where is Anthony Hickox--not in the poll, but in terms of filmmaking?

I went with Dekker for all the above reasons.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Went with Ken Wiederhorn, the guy could do funny, scary or a little bit of both. Shock Waves is a huge favorite of mine, and I really enjoy Eyes of a Stranger, Meatballs 2 and, yep, ROTLD 2. The world could always use more Steinmann, Zito and Lieberman, too.

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Stop it.

19. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I recently watched Meatballs 2 for the first time with forum member Old-Boo-Radley, and it was quite a hoot. I wanna see a sequel where Meathead comes back to camp to help a young alien out. He'd be like Tripper, only an alien.

20. rabidgoatboy

rabidgoatboy New Member

I voted "Other" for Michele Soavi as well. I think he is still directing television movies in Italy, but I would love to see him return to horror. We need a strong Italian horror director with a unique vision again. As much as I respect Dario, he just doesn't seem to be able to create truly interesting films anymore.