Did your parents allow you to watch horror films when you were a child?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

My parents were never restrictive growing up. I would watch horror films with my father all of the time. The only time my mother ever put her foot down was a triple horror film fest at our local drive in. The last film was Night of the Living Dead and my mother insisted that we leave. I saw it several years later anyway, but I grew up with cable, so I often watched many horror films on Friday/Saturday nights when my parents went to bed, so they didn't know half of what I watched :lol:. I would always tell them about many of films anyway and the never really cared that much. My father loved horror films.

2. deepred

deepred Member

I'm 32 and my childhood was similar. I was fascinated by the horror section of the video store at a very young age. I wasn't allowed to rent them so I would imagine what they were about from the cover art or the pictures on the back just like you. I remember loving the lenticular cover for Mirror, Mirror and the hand coming out of the board for the Witchboard 2 cover. I got my first taste with A Nightmare on Elm Street when I was around 6 or so, which traumatized me and made me afraid to fall asleep or be alone at night time so of course, my parents were hesitant to let me watch anymore. Eventually, my persistence paid off and they started to test my tolerance for them. I think they started me off with Tremors. Then I was watching Jaws, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th, Full Moon movies, etc. Where I lived in New York, every October they would air Shocktober on the now WB channel and play horror movies (Deadly Friend, Elm St 4, Phantasm 2, They Live, Return of the Living Dead 2, Prom Night 2 etc) all month long. USA Up All Night also had a lot of horror movies and would run Friday the 13th marathons when the date fell on the calendar. I was also an avid Fangoria reader by this time and went to my first horror-like convention at 12 - meeting Linda Blair, Kane Hodder, Doug Bradley and some others. When there were restrictions like with Silence of the Lambs, I would just go to a friend's and watch it. I remember when they would have video rental sections at the local pharmacies and renting the Sleepaway Camp sequels and Waxwork films with my friend - such good memories.

All before the internet. :glasses:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I never had any restraints put on me based on what I could watch either, so as long as the clerk would let us rent the R-rated stuff, I was able to mostly with my older cousin. One of our parents would call and they'd usually let us get what we want and if they wouldn't, we'd just take our business to the other store that either knew us from coming every weekend or didn't give a shit either way. I'd be very interested on how strict laws were/how video store owners actually were accountable for the renting of titles in like 1991.

I recall watching Ghost Story with my cousin at about 6 or 7 after we'd rented it - he'd long fallen asleep like usual and I was up half the night watching horror movies terrified. But I couldn't wait to tell him about the bush that was in it the next day - definitely my first horror movie bush memory.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I lived walking distance to the nearest video store, and I was in there enough that they always let me rent R-rated movies by myself once my parents allowed me to do so.

Strangely, the only time they ever raised a red flag was the movie Lovers Lane, which is actually a pretty tame movie. But they were alarmed because the back of the VHS case said something like "FOR MATURE AUDIENCES: CONTAINS NUDITY, GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, AND STRONG SEXUAL CONTENT". Of course, I just came back with my dad and rented it anyway.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I grew up in the 70's so we only got to watch TV and occasionally go to the movies. I watched all the great black and white Universal films and the Godzilla movies were also a favorite. In the early 80's my brother and I pitched in and bought a VHS player and the first film we rented from Blockbuster was the original Friday the 13th which we watched twice before returning.

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

That one seems to be a newer movie? I'm surprised rental stores checked at all in that era.

I actually did speak to the owner of a mom & pop store here- actually one of the two I was referring to in my post. Her store was the one more strict on ratings and I told her as a kid I'd go to the other store because they never really questioned us and she basically said some douche parents phoned in and whined and that was the only reason they did that. I understand the semi-scapegoat of kids being kids and not listening, not understanding, etc. but in my opinion, if you are strict with your kid and the little shit goes and rents an R-rated movie, knowing full well it's against rules bestowed on him, ream your little bastard out, not the video store. Or don't put the kid's fuckin' name on the list of people who can rent on your account and really punish him. I blame the fuckin' parents for not owning up to their own mistakes and it ruined it for the rest of us who were allowed to watch whatever.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well at least there is one other person with my same experience as a kid - lol

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It was newer, but I was born in 1987. Amazon says February 1st, 2000, so I would have been 12, just a few weeks shy of 13.

Same store had no problem letting me rent all those crazy '80s horror flicks. I think it was just because there is blood splattered all over the cover and it had that big disclaimer on the back of the case. The movie itself is very tame.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm 40 and my parents didn't care if I watched horror and let me rent whatever I wanted. They new I could handle it and I thank them for that:) My mom did walk in on me watching the skinny dipping scene in Friday 4 one time and made me turn it off.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, I was born in the early 80's, so... not sure what choice they had considering how much nightmare fuel was in Ghostbusters, The Never-ending Story, Gremlins, It, Spaceballs (to a kid), mere ads with Chucky and that Monkey Shines symbol-clanging toy monkey in them, and pretty much the whole of classic, pre-90's Disney.

And... by the way... horror has never come up with anything able to top the horror of this:

I'd be willing to bet: present this to people sitting in a room as test subjects, hooked up to heart/brain monitors, and you'll find the rates of discomfort, nausea, and fear would surpass those for any Collector or Ruins or Purge. Especially if they were led to believe that those were the film clips they'd be watching.

11. startide

startide Member

:D Haha Why the fuck do you think I'm here?

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My mom didn't really care what I watched, though she abided by the hypocritical "graphic violence is fine, but nudity is bad" rule, so if I was watching something with her, fast-forwarding was typically involved. This involved weekly trips to the video store which were supplemented with Monstervision and USA Up All Night each weekend.

There were two breaks in this, though. One occurred in fourth grade and I think it was more of a punishment for bad behavior in school. The second time was in sixth grade, when the Columbine shooting happened. The news stations started listing all of Harris and Klebold's music, game, and film interests and it was basically everything I liked and that really freaked my mom out for a few months. Once that died down, things went back to normal and my mom really embraced my love of horror. She even accompanied me to my first horror convention when I was 14.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Man my house was like the horror and cool stuff sanctuary for a lot of my friends in the neighborhood. A lot of their parents didn't even let them watch Power Rangers. We would have sleepovers at my house on the weekends where we would stay up all night watching horror movies and playing Mortal Kombat.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

My mother never had a problem with it. In fact, she would sit in the car when I went to the video store, and wave at the cashier who would check whether or not it was OK that I rent such filth!

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Things were different back then when I was growing up. There was no Internet and horror was the ticket to seeing stuff you weren't supposed to see. Even Cable was a big deal back then. I'm not that old but I remember a time of perhaps a few more than 5 major channels. But of course horror movies were edited on TV. My parents didn't care much about what I saw or they weren't that aware. I think I might have seen Ghoulies on VHS from a rental store. But there was still the video store person. They wouldn't willingly give a kid a horror or an R rated movie. Of course Halloween was shown during Halloween. But it was edited.

The rare times I saw a horror movie, especially if it was uncut stuck with me. Usually it was a friend of a friend who happened to get it. We would see it at their house maybe in October or they would pass it around on VHS. Friday the 13th Part 2 might have been the only one as I remembered Kirsten Baker's nude scene. She was perfect and still is. You were lucky to come across a Playboy back then and a movie like Basic Instinct was a big deal. No one I knew would step foot in a sex store and they were in out of the way seedy and bad areas anyway. I think the movie Scream captured some of those times. There are bits of dialog about the nude scenes in horror movies.

Of course the terror aspect was something kids weren't supposed to see either. Action movies were fine. But horror type death stuff was kind of like what I hear about older comic books being banned. I remember staying up late to watch Nightmare on Elm Street on TV. I'm sure late was after midnight on a weekend for a showing on an odd channel. I regretted it too because it scared me so much I didn't want to go to sleep. It was horror and very twisted. Places that were and should be safe were no longer safe.

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

My parents never really cared. I watched Evil Dead 2 so many times I wore out the VHS it was taped on. Day of the Dead was a mainstay for me too (I must have been an odd kid) because I watched that one over and over again as well.

My mom's friend would tape dozen of films off of paid channels and lend them to us (we couldn't afford cable). I saw a bunch of really obscure movies that way including some of my all time favorites like Killer Klowns from Outer Space. They were all uncut with no commercials too. I really have some fond memories watching movies like that with my dad.

As far as it watching movies impacting me as an adult, I turned into an engineer with a clean record and I convinced my wonderful wife to marry me. I also have a 1000+ movie collection with so many of those films I saw as a kid. Not too shabby!