Did your parents allow you to watch horror films when you were a child?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

I turn 33 in December so I didn't grow up with the Internet. Back then I couldn't use Youtube to watch a horror film I wasn't allowed to see. I actually lived with my grandparents back in the day and my grandma didn't let me watch horror films often. I remember being at the video store and looking at the back of VHS boxes of Friday the 13th, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween films and picturing in my mind what the movie might be like based on the two or three screen shots on the back of the box. Once in a while my grandma would rent a Jason or Freddy movie or I might catch one on cable TV and it was like a trip to Disneyland, the anticipation of getting home and popping the tape in the VCR and then trying to speculate how Jason or Michael Myers might get resurrected in the next movie and how the next film will start and end. It definitely won't be the same if I were a child today since most the films are available on Youtube and if not at least the trailers are viewable. Did you have a similar childhood experience growing up watching horror or R rated movies?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, my parents didn't really care what was rented or watched on TV as long as it wasn't more explicit than a Rated R movie.

I think kids today are probably exposed to more than that just by casual use of the Internet and TV. There are certainly more things allowed as being "normal" programming today than there was 30 years ago.

3. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

We could watch stuff on regular TV but weren't allowed to watch anything R rated. Good in theory but my little brother was traumatized by movies like "Trilogy of Terror" and "The Car" when we watched them on the Saturday afternoon horror double feature.

We got our first VCR when I was 14 and by then there were very few limits on the movies I could rent. Though I do remember mom angrily returning "Videodrome" to the video store after one of the clerks there recommended it. :lol:

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm 41, my folks let me watch whatever I wanted. So lots and lots of horror films. We were also a family who just watched lots of horror films generally, as a family. We 'd make nachos, stay up until 2am and watch the local channel's double features on Saturdays.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. No cable, so we were completely limited to what we could rent from the thinly-stocked rental stores in town. I wasn't allowed to rent anything horror related at all. My parent even kept me from watching movies like Ghostbusters or Batman when I was as old as 7 or 8.

My salvation came in the form of friends and their laid back parents. That's how I saw Nightmare 3, which was my first "real" horror film. A little while later I was able to convince my dad to rent Cameron's Closet since it was unrated. I reasoned with him that an unrated movie couldn't possibly be bad...if it were bad, they would have rated it R. That line only worked once.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I was scared shitless by The Blob on the 4:30 movie (and I'm talking Steve McQueen Blob here), so my parents never had to worry about not allowing me to see movies.

7. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

My parents were strictly against me watching horror movies. Oh, they allowed me to watch Gremlins, Ghostbusters and I even remember renting Saturday the 14th on VHS. But that was about it. They strictly followed the rating system (which is a little different from the one in the US. You have AL (which means all ages), 12 (so at least 12) and 16, which is the highest rating). I remember being allowed to rent Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was 12, because it had a 12 rating.

However, I had friends whose parents weren't as strict. I even had a friend who was allowed to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play, Friday the 13th and kung-fu movies WITH HIS DAD. Man, he had the coolest dad. He even played Legend of Zelda with his son :) But the great thing is, this friend told me about these movies. Told me the gory details and everything. It was almost like watching them, but not quite. It only fed my curiosity and my fondness for horror movies.

Then, when I got older and discovered how I could program the VCR, I started recording movies. They usually played on friday or saturday nights on the BBC, when everyone was asleep. But I set my alarm to go off at 6 a.m. the next moring and watched these movies before anyone was awake. That's how I got to see the Evil Dead trilogy, Friday the 13th and many many more. No one ever found out.

I'm convinced that all this sneaking around and the fact that horror films were the forbidden fruit made me into a horror fan.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Not just allowed, but encouraged with weekly trips to the video store where I rented Hammer films, old classics, creature features and the latest slasher epics on a regular basis.
    By the time I was ten, I'd seen Evil Dead, American Werewolf, Night of the Demon (1980), F13, Alien and many more.
    I sometimes wish they had been more strict, I don't think I had any business watching the original Last House or I Spit on your Grave at a relatively young age. Those traumatized me quite a bit. However, the seventies were a different time and I'm pretty sure my parents would have freaked at the nastiness level had they known. I had a vcr in my bedroom and my viewing material was probably a bit of a mystery to them.
    For some reason I can't explain 'Lust For A Vampire' was a personal favorite as a child and got much replay value. LOL.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

We never had cable so my access to horror was limited. My parents had no interest in horror so it was never an issue of whether or not we were "allowed" to watch horror. We didn't have much exposure to it.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was allowed to watch stuff on TV, but this was pre-cable. We did have a bootleg "On" box (earliest HBO) but they only were on for like 7 or 8 pm to midnight, so I couldn't sneak anything as they would be awake with me. They did let me watch Friday the 13th 2 uncut on late TV, but would not let me go to the theater for part 3.
    I was encouraged to read horror though as my mom had a horror paperback collection similar to my dvd collection now (wonder where I got the collector gene?). She would've loved to see all the uncut stuff I have now, but dad was tight with the wallet and didn't understand paying for movies. He'd say stuff like, "it'll be on TV for free in a couple years, watch something else until then".
    It did make sneaking into theater stuff like Terminator and Friday the 13th 4 that much more rewarding though.

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Yes, the folks had no problem with us watching horror movies. Those films were the ones that held our attention the most. If a horror flick was on TV, everyone would pretty much drop what they were doing and watch it.
    I remember having full reign of the trips to the video store. Late night Showtime (and HBO some years later) was okay, too.
    The only real problem were the theatrical releases. When the really good flicks were coming out starting in 1980, they got real lazy in wanting to take us kids anywhere. So it wasn't until 1981 that I started seeing the new R rated horror flicks and I had to beg to see the few that year.

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Never had any issues with horror films when I was growing up. My family watched a lot of movies, be it at home or in theaters. Also, local video rental stores would rent out R rated titles without carding (at least where I lived), so I rented all kinds of stuff when I was a teen.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

My parents were never exactly thrilled about my love for horror, but they never stopped me from seeing them. They wouldn't let me rent R-rated movies of any genre (unless it was a movie they were familiar with) until I was about 10 or so. But I have an older brother, so whenever he'd rent an R-rated movie, I'd get to watch it anyway.

However, if it was on cable and edited for television, it was fair game. And I was lucky to have grown up in the era of USA Up All Night, TNT's MonsterVision, and the early days of the Sci-Fi Channel. So by the time I was able to start renting these movies, I had already seen a majority of them anyway. In the meantime, I was renting every PG-13 horror movie I could find like Lady In White, The Monster Squad, the Critters movies, Tremors, etc.

Totally nerdy confession, but every Sunday morning as a kid I used to read the TV guide from cover to cover and highlight anything that even remotely sounded horror.

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I had to struggle and beg for every horror flick until I was about 13...some I won the battle, and some not. I mostly it the theatres with my grandfather, who loved to hit the latest Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson movies with me. I could occasionally persuade him to see the odd horror movie, which is how I caught Parasite (in glorious 80's 3D!), Mortuary (where I was utterly confused that the trailer I had salivated over on TV was nowhere to be found in the movie), and a few others. However, I think the biggest milestone with Grampa was when we saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High when my parents were out of town and I was 11 or 12. A film to make a boy a man! Gramp of course said he hated it, but I saw him roaring with laughter and enjoying the other salacious parts as well! My gramp was definitely my hero. He even tried to take me to Evil Dead, where the bastards would not let us in even with is presence!

15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I watched HellNight with my whole family, and it wasn't that bad. I loved it..

16. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I was much younger than my siblings and my my parents were very liberal with me. I basically had free reign to watching any and all horror movies. They were all I watched. At least 4 per weekend during the school year and 2 per night in the summer. I loved it and wish I could re-live the moments of getting to the video store to scour the VHS boxes hoping to find my next favorite movie. The only movie I was ever denied from seeing was Maniac, but my dad caved the following weekend and I got it! Such cherished memories for me.

17. Choptop

Choptop Member

I'm 32, and it's funny, because I think about this quite a bit... I was allowed to pretty much watch whatever I wanted. I got into horror films because that's what my older brother and his friends would watch, and it seemed like every weekend, especially in the summer, the local broadcast stations would play all kinds of horror films all day. Friday The 13th films, Critters, Phantasm etc...

It's funny though, because they didn't like either of us watching American Gladiators, but WWF and horror films were ok...

I did have a friend who had very strict parents (religious nut jobs) and he wasn't even allowed to watch The Smurfs because there would be a fire in the village, or someone would get kidnapped. I like to think they'd shit the bed if they knew what he watched at my house.

18. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I wouldn't say mine actively encouraged it, but they certainly let me have at it. Renting Pink Flamingoes at 13 was a bit much, but my Dad actually went out for me once (I was maybe 13 or 14) to see if he could find what I told him was an X-rated cut of Dawn of the Dead. (he didn't find it, and I don't know why I thought it existed at all, but he tried)

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Only if it was edited quite a bit for television or it was some old G rated type horror. Even PG movies had to be pre-screened by them first - such as Poltergeist they would not let me watch. They didn't want me to see Gremlins either but they caved on that. I would say up until highschool they were pretty strict - and even then anything R rated I watched elsewhere. But from a very young age I watched R rated horror movies at friends houses who had more lenient parents. Or when my dad worked nights and my mom fell asleep in the living room I would sneak into the back room to watch HBO on the small black and white TV they had.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

My folks weren't too restrictive when it came to movies. I saw JAWS with my Mom as a kid and my Dad took me to see stuff like THE CREATURE FROM BLACK LAKE, ORCA,GRIZZLY and GHOST STORY. Good times.