Did you make the switch from DVD to Blu-ray yet?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Did you (finally) make the switch?

1. Yes

91.4%
  2. No

8.6%
  3. VHS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stige

Stige Active Member

Too many, too fast, I'm finally starting to be more choosy in What I upgrade. But New titles I don't have get bought on blu ( unless it's something I HAVE to have, BBNM I'm looking at you), then I will buy a DVD.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've chosen DVD over BD on a few occasions recently. I bought the DVD of Blue Underground's new Snuff release - from reviews on this site, the A/V quality didn't seem to warrant paying an extra $15. Also, I picked up Ed Wood on DVD used for $5. It's never been a personal favorite, but I wanted to give it another watch, so having it in HD wasn't a big priority.

3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I really wish Bill would reconsider BBNM for a Blu-ray release. It's one of his most-requested titles so it stands to reason it would sell better if he released it on the format that's currently the most popular.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Was about to say the same thing. Your friend definitely has it set to that mode. If every thing looks like a "soap opera program", then that's what setting they have it on. Like MorallySound said , every TV is shipped with that mode turned on. And you be surprised on how many people keep it in that mode. I mean REALLY surprised.

Back on the having a Blu just sitting unused in your house scott71670. Unless you have a 1080p HDTV then it's really not going to be worth your while to use anyway. Sure a 720p HDTV would be alright too, but the only true benefit from the Blu would be a 1080p match up. Have no idea what level of TV you have , but I thought this might help in your decision to use the Blu-ray player. But for all means I don't want to discourage you from using it with a 720p HDTV (if that's what you own). Trust me, it will look really good compared to a standard DVD player. Plus your DVD's could look better in most cases.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Totally agree. There are some times that I have upgraded to Blu-Ray, one of my most recent purchases being Sleepaway Camp and Evilspeak on Blu-Ray, which I actually didn't own Evilspeak until I purchased the Blu-Ray.

6. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Honestly, I feel like Night Warning will get a BD release sooner or later (well, I guess later in this case). I mean, if CR was willing to put Redeemer out on blu (and if you've seen it, you'll know it looks pretty shitty), then anything is fair game.

Sorry about getting sidetracked there. Blu-ray, yeah, I buy blu-rays mostly....and DVDs sometimes (since so many flicks are still unavailable on BD).

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Not specifically about blu-ray, but they're pretty much forcing people to go HD where I live. I had two HD cable boxes from Charter for the HD TVs, then the upstairs televisions (non-HD) just had regular old basic cable. The basic cable services have been discontinued, so the only cable service in the area is for HD.

So all the upstairs TVs are pretty much obsolete. There's no way to get cable on them, you can only use them to watch DVDs / VHS.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Amen. I just switched my gf's refresh rate on her TV, and it has saved our relationship. :glasses:

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I buy the occasional DVD here and there if it's cheap and may not make it to Blu-ray, but for the most part I buy strictly Blus. As soon as the Blu is announced, I sell off or give away my DVD copy (As long as all of the extras are included of course). I figure if I like the movie, I'm going to want to watch it in the best quality as possible, and if I don't like it enough to repurchase, it it's probably not worth owning.

I too am amazed that after 8 years some people haven't switched over. Players can be found dirt cheap these days, there really is no excuse. Just don't buy a couple DVDs for a month and purchase a player. That way all of your future purchases can be Blus, so you won't be double dipping in a few years, and all your old DVDs will also look much better. It's a win win really.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have Charter too, and they've done the same thing everywhere.

You can still get a different older kind of cable box from Charter that will work fine on older TV's to get basic non-HD cable, and it also works with On Demand content. Of course, they may discontinue the use of those in the near future.

Same here, and I've had a Blu-ray player since early 2008. I still buy DVD when a Blu-ray release isn't available...but the quality jump is often so dramatic that it really makes DVD's seem like VHS in comparison.

DVD's scratch too damn easily too. I hardly ever see a Blu-ray with scratches, and even on the rare occasion when it does you rarely have to worry about playback being hindered.

11. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

I only buy Blu-rays now. Most of what I buy is a re-buy of something I had on DVD. In fact I think my first blu-ray player was a PS3 like so many others. I do have one I use that is older and doesn't have Cinavia.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

A good chunk of my Blu-Ray buys are movies that I had on Laserdisc but never bought on DVD. So I really see an improvement when I upgrade to Blu. Some recent examples of this are Rosemary's Baby, Dazed and Confused, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Baron Blood, Lisa and the Devil, Zombie.

Although there are a share of the DVD-to-Blu double dips, most notably the Bond movies, Deep Red and Inferno, and Tarantino movies. But even with the Bonds, I only double dipped on the titles in the series I really like. For stuff like Moonraker or Octopussy, I'm just sticking with the old DVDs.

13. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

I hear you on the bonds, every time I tried to buy the box sets I could not pull the trigger. I waited and eventually bought the bluray set for $150. Which slickdeals the other day had it for 73.99. The thing that pissed me off tho was that I had to buy skyfall separately.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Eh. You live once. Enjoy the set. Don't worry about what you paid for it. I bought each of the five Twilight Zone sets for about $80 each. Now the complete set can be had for a little more than $100. Doesn't take away my immense enjoyment of them.

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Switched to blu-ray when I first bought a PS3. I find it difficult to spend money on the DVD format at this point. Blu-ray has spoiled me and I refuse to go back. The only exception I have made recently was with the "In Search Of" DVD set. I've been wanting that series on a legit home format forever and couldn't pass it up.

There are 4 blu-ray players in my home. My region free Oppo gets the most use. Worth every penny of the $600 I paid for it.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I got a Blu-ray player in December 2009. Like others have said, I've become more selective over time about what Blu-ray titles I buy. Yes, I still buy some dvds. Not everything will get released on Blu-ray. I love to collect older tv shows & most will never go further than dvd.

A little over a year ago, I got a region free Blu-ray player. That has definitely made collecting a lot more fun again! :D

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I try to only get Blu-ray now. But when a movie is different than what I want or it's out on Blu-ray but only in a collected set. Then I still get the DVD. But I try to get it cheap. Like under $5 new.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

First switched and was a big supporter of HD-DVD around the holidays in 2006. Once I saw that Anchor Bay was prepping releases of Dawn & Day of the Dead, along with Halloween for blu-ray, I bought one of those old giant PS3's in July. My first disc was the barebones Total Recall. Shortly thereafter HD-DVD died and I went full on to blu-ray. I sold just about all of my DVD's, save for some things that were special (Beyond tin, Wicker-Man wicker box, Sleepaway Camp red cross box, The Blind Dead coffin, etc.) and have just been slowly rebuying the films I want to own again as they've been released.

I've actually bought a few DVD's since then, though. Mostly films that I initially sold when I (maybe a bit hastily) unloaded all of my DVD's that I'm now realizing will probably never be out on blu-ray. (John Waters' pre-Hairspray films come to mind immediately)

The only tapes that have survived my purges are things I've gotten signed, movies that will probably never see the light of day on a digital format, and my Friday the 13th 1-8 tapes, since I've had those for over 20 years.

I don't really see myself owning a giant 100+ inch TV any time in the foreseeable future, so whatever the next format is probably won't have much appeal to me and blu-ray may be where I call it quits. Plus if it's all downloads after blu, I won't be into that either.

19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Let's hope that isn't anytime soon. I think there will always be a place for the physical format. Just look at cd's for instance, they're still around when everybody could be downloading music. There is nothing better than actually owning something Imo.:)

20. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I was looking for an older (five or so years old) hopefully new and sealed CD and couldn't find it only to realize that most of the music stores have closed down. I think the transition to download only movies and limited, deluxe only releases will happen sooner than many think.