Did Jason Rape Chris in F13 III?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jul 15, 2013.

?

Did Jason rape Chris in Friday the 13th part III?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

After a recent viewing of Friday the 13th part 3, I noticed something I hadn't before. (Maybe I had but totally forgot about it). There's that flashback to when Chris ran away from her parents. She encounters Jason in the woods and is stalked by him until she passes out and wakes back up in her own bed. Her parents would never speak of the incident afterwards. This is a good implication that Jason sexually assaulted her. Jason never leaves anyone alive so it leads one to believe that he violated Chris in some other way.

I wasn't entirely convinced until I put it together that Chris had clammed up when Rick, her old boyfriend made any attempts at intimacy. Another indication that she had possibly been violated and therefore was having intimacy issues.

During one of the last sequences of the film, we get some insight into what happened all those years ago when Chris hallucinates that Jason is still alive in the barn. We see the face she saw. Jason's demeanor isn't that of a killer but almost a child-like excitement as he notices her in the raft and runs out. Again, this indicates that Jason has some sort of perverted affection for Chris.

Finally there is a running theme throughout Friday the 13th part 3 or Jason exploring his sexuality. Most if not all kills on the female characters are done with some sort of impalement, which can be argued are symbolic of phallic penetration. Debbie is done from behind as is the housewife during the prologue, Vera gets it in the eye, Fox is stabbed with the pitchfork and Chili is stabbed with the hot poker. Of course, this isn't an unknown concept for slasher films, but I think in the case of Friday the 13th part 3, it is more relevant to the Jason Voorhees character.

I also wrote a post on these boards once about how in Friday the 13th part 3, most if not all situations that end in demise are initiated by a female character. Fox starts shit in the convenience store with Vera and Shelly, leading to the gang's involvement. Debbie sends Andy for a beer. Chili makes Chuck investigate the basement. Vera rejects Shelly (but she KEEPS HIS WALLET!) and he mopes off on his own. And the old lady is such a nag to her husband that he gets killed trying to hide from her. I'm not sure if this was an intentional commentary on women, or how it might factor in to the above argument, but after I noticed it, it seems to be pretty obvious.

I've flip-flopped on my opinion of Friday the 13th part 3 a few times. When I first saw it I thought it was the best one. Years later I thought it was the worst. Now I'm leaning back the other way I think it may be the best of the bunch. Part 2 made the psychology of Jason very apparent, but part 3 achieves an even greater insight through subtlety and implication. What do you think? Did Jason rape Chris?

2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

True, and a possibility. However, no where else in the series is it even hinted at that Jason has any type of sexual desires. And if Chris is an object of Jason's lust, why then does he try and kill her?

I believe this has to do more with behind the scenes reasons. If I remember correctly, Dana Kimmel approached the powers that be and requested scenes with her character engaging in sex be removed.

Yes, however, this is Chris' hallucination. Unless repressed, she wouldn't have hallucinated Jason's lascivious reaction had she not consciously known of the purported rape.

You're right, the phallic imagery in slashers is not new. However, I think a lot of this can be chalked up to 3D trickery. A machete across the throat doesn't have the same impact as a pitchfork COMIN ATCHA!

I see coincidence more than correlation. In these films, most of the characters are coupled with another romantic interest. Since no homosexual couples exist, at least in the early films, I think it just may have been the luck of the draw. Look at part II:

-Jeff is killed because Sandra invited him upstairs for sex
    -Scott is killed because he was left by Kristen Baker's character
    -Wheelchair guy is killed when his romantic interest goes off to tidy herself up

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think the implication in Part III is that he did, although in the context of the overall series, I don't think it fits in with his "character." Of course, continuity has never been exactly the focus of the series, and each film kind of has to be taken as it's own thing. This actually makes me think of the recent "did Ash die at the end of The Evil Dead?" question that was being debated a little while ago. In the context of the first film alone, I think he did. But in the context of the entire series as a whole, obviously he didn't. I think the same is true of this. In the context of Part III, I think Jason did...something sexual to Chris, although whether or not he was actually able to rape her is something else. But in the context of the rest of the series, I don't think he did.

So I'll vote yes.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Interesting I didn't realize she played the Kirk Cameron card.

But, it COULD be a repressed memory resurfacing due to the similar stressful circumstances.

As for your guys' comments about it not fitting with the series, I get that. But when else have you seen Jason smile and claw at a window?

One other thing I forgot to mention, I never realized Debbie was pregnant until this recent viewing. And I've watched this at least 5-10 times, maybe more. So it sheds a different light on Andy going to get her a beer and her deciding against it in the end. Also, for all those stat keepers out there, you could argue that Jason's kill count should be upped by 1 since he effectively kills Debbie's unborn baby by killing her. I won't attempt to tie that into my argument, but I could imagine one could. Any ways, I noticed it this time, so fun fact :D

5. deepred

deepred Member

She was attacked in the woods, that much she does remember and would be enough to keep her on edge when returning to the area and probably make intimacy the last thing on her mind.

6. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

That never sat well with me. Not only is it a completely irrelevant point, but it really darkens a series that was meant to be light and fun.

7. deepred

deepred Member

She wasn't showing. I'm sure Jason would have spared her if he knew. :p

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

does Jason understand the concept of pregnancy, though? he might just think it was a fat lady. which he obviously has no problem killing. and at what age does Jason draw the line? he seemed pretty intent on killing Tommy Jarvis in Part IV, but then left all the sleeping kids alone in Part VI.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Rules of a Slasher... Sex = Death.

If he is still alive after all these sequels my bet is he didnĀ“t have sex... maybe just masturbated.

10. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I don't think he did..

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

He didn't do that kind of thing in any of the movies, but if this thing really happened to Chris and wasn't just a dream or hallucination, then it would have taken place earlier than Part II, and before his first known kill. So maybe he hadn't quite developed that killer instinct yet and was working up to it. But rape? Who knows...

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's easy to feel that way now with the test of time, but back then they were treated very seriously. They only began being intentionally light and fun by the filmmakers with Part 6. If you think the first five were meant to be that way, then I do believe that you're projecting modern sensibilities upon them.

13. deepred

deepred Member

Or maybe Chris was psychic and her memory was a premonition. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  14. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

I don't think I've ever read a funnier topic... but I'd say no.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

As FistFuck said, it's definitely implied. The series was never known for its consistency, so I'd rather not address the question based on the series as a whole. There is definitely a moment of mutual recognition between Chris and Jason in the barn. And Chris's flashback, where we see an unarmed Jason grabbing her... There is a definite sense that Jason is going to have some "fun" with her. And if we are going to put it in the context of the rest of the series, the two most relevant films to draw into the discussion would be the two preceding it, as those are the ones it is a continuation of. And while I'm not too sure about the timeline, it would be interesting to know if Chris encountered Jason before of after the events of Part 1. In other words, did she encounter confused, lonely Jason or vengeful, bereaved Jason?

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I've always hated this. There are NO RULES of a slasher, at least there never used to be. Alice from Part I is implied to have had sex, and smoke dope. Ginny from Part II is the same way, though her period got in the way and we replace dope with beer. American Nightmare's survivor is a prostitute. Black Christmas' is already pregnant and taking steps for an abortion. Madman's has a nude hot tub scene, but is the central lead (croaks, but w/e). Happy Birthday to Me's sleeps around within the group. Humongous' is seen with her boyfriend in bed. SPM has a nude survivor as well. This is a stereotype based on a lot of sex scenes ending in death. Anybody in a slasher can die, and I there is no relation to sex and death other than a sex scene is an event scene, and event scenes are the perfect time to keep people segregated from their friends to add punch to their demise.

Too many people to kill in one swing. He is always a stalk and slasher 1 by 1 (or 2/3) guy. He broke through their door at the end, which the case could be made that he was only luring Tommy/Megan out, but we don't know for certain.

Light and fun? I do enjoy the F13 series, but it is about a murderer killing mostly innocent people. They do not deserve to die. Killing a child is more true to Jason's nature. Killing is something that he just does, and ignoring children is sort of giving him too much sympathy credit. He's a killer and we shouldn't root him on when he's chopping up teens just being teens.

But they all made the decision to stay at camp. I'm not sure this correlation blames women in any way. They're just events.

As for the impalements, Andy gets sliced in the groin, which would have made the censors furious if he were a woman. Debbie's impalement goes back to Kevin's in Part I, who was obviously not a woman. Scott being left tied up in a tree would have had people proclaiming that the film likes to see "pretty women tied up in bondage" had Terri been the victim. A film like Don't Answer the Phone! I can definitely see being misogynist, but relating the impalement deaths to penises has always struck me as something more indicative of the viewer rather than the film.

17. King Diamond

King Diamond Member

Best response so far, in my opinion.

18. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

Yes... Steve Minor stated in a recent interview that there was actually an implied rape scene cut. The footage was lost but he said that the scene was meant to portray Jasons confusion before his mothers fateful death. After years of watching kids have sex in the woods and him not knowing how to do it himself (like Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak), he sodomizes her thinking it's real sex. She then turns around and says, "this doesn't count." He then bitch slaps her so hard she can't see straight. She passes out. He then says "fuck it," cracks open a beer and continues screwing her ass while shes passed out. After, she is brought back to her room. Her father hears something and checks on her to see her sound asleep in her room seemingly fine. Her father then says, "fuck it," and starts screwing her ass as well. It was a long scene that was cut due to pacing reasons.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The events in Chris's flashback took place two years prior. Since Part 2 takes place five years after the events of Part 1 and Part 3 immediately follows the events of Part 2, the events that take place in Chris's flashback would fall between the events of Part 1 and Part 2.

Found this at IMDB in the FAQ. I can't vouch for it's reliability since no sources seem to be provided, but it does seems to shed some light on the situation.

As played in the theatrical cut, I tend to view Chris's flashback as potentially being a dream sequence, akin to what happens at the end of each of the first three films, where there is some doubt as to whether the sequences in question actually happen or not. Chris seems to fully believe the events in her flashback took place, but seems to have no evidence to support her beliefs and no memory of how things ultimately played out. If Chris were raped, wouldn't she have been aware of a physical trauma when she woke up in her bed the next morning, which would leave no doubt as to whether those events took place. Since there seems to be doubt, it's my opinion that the sequence is either a dream sequence with some precognition on Chris's part or a real sequence in which Chris got away from Jason but has somehow repressed the memory of how she managed to get away.

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:fucked:, although the final line is great when paired with the rest of the post.