Detention (Trailer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

All I got is a trailer on this one. Never heard of it before. Just learned of it's existance through Bloody-Disgusting.com. It's a comedy, it's a slasher flick, it looks pretty damn bloody, and pretty damn weird.

TRAILER

2. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Sony Pictures just acquired this. The news article about this acquisition is describing the flick as an "apocalyptic fantasy, horror, science fiction, action-thriller, body swapping, time-traveling teen romantic comedy." Not sure I got ALL that from the trailer, but in light of that description, I think, I REALLY need to see this now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Could've sworn I saw this weeks ago.
    I'm definitely interested, looks like tons of fun.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Bumping this ... cos it's the only Detention thread that came up when I searched.

Anyone seen this yet? I just did - and I loved it. Was surprised at how much I loved it. Honestly, it sounded like it would be a mess.

And it kind of is - but a totally insane, ridiculous and entertaining mess. Great cast. No, fantastic cast. They really make it work. And Joseph Kahn's directing is just bizarrely wonderful to behold.

Totally recommend it for fans of Scott Pilgrim, Kaboom or even Scream. And it's a perfect companion piece to The Cabin in the Woods!

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just released on dvd & blu-ray yesterday.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't care for it. I prefer my slasher films to actually be slasher films, and plots are a nice thing to have as well.

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Enjoyed the hell out of it. So bizarre, random and insane.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

DETENTION starts out like a cross between Clueless and Scream, but then becomes a whole lot more strange as it goes on. The slasher element is actually a very small part of the film and sort of gets lost along the way with all the time travel, UFO's, body switching, and even a character who becomes "The Fly". Detention is a lot of fun, but if you're looking for a serious horror film, then look elsewhere. For all others there is serious cult potential here. My rating for pure entertainment value is 7.5/10.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  9. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

There's no doubt this feels like a movie made for the ADD generation, but its schizophrenic tendencies don't really come together to make for an enjoyable film. The horror elements seem out of place (which is hard to imagine for such a fucked up movie), and it's not really all that funny either. Mostly, it's just fuckin' oddball and stupid, and not in a good cult classic kinda way. Think of it as a low rent mixture of Donnie Darko, Scary Movie 2 and the worst John Hughes knockoff imaginable.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I liked it, even though it had many faults. I kind of agree with what tropical said above though. Sometimes it just got rather stupid...and the pace of the film just often seemed to "hyper"

It's far from a perfect film, but still enjoyable. But it's really a film you're either going to like or hate. I can easily understand if a person didn't enjoy it.

11. thehellyousay

thehellyousay New Member

I'm in the "Didn't Like It" camp. Too much going on to have any cohesion. Feels more like someone wanting to get all of their favorite ideas from other movies into one movie just in case they never make another movie.

As I was watching it, I felt like it was just 3-4 minute segments slammed together. After it was over I looked up the director and he's known for music videos and that movie Torque. So, that might explain the ADD feeling.

Also, the dialogue was delivered as if it had no punctuation.

12. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, it's like listening to actual teenagers talk in your ear for 90 straight mins., all while sounding like Diablo Cody rejects on speed. Trust me, it's just as annoying as it sounds.

13. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Just saw this last night and loved it. Sure, it has a lot of faults but it was a hell of a fun ride and found a way to make a totally original movie out of a bazillion unoriginal ideas.

14. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This is one of those movies that has no gray area. Either you'll love it or absolutely hate it. Personally I loved it. It's over the top, original and hysterical. But I can perfectly understand why one could hate it. If you can't stomach the first 10-15 minutes of the film just stop watching because the whole tone of the film is very aggressive. And when I say aggressive I mean the movie is so self aware they might as well take a jackhammer to the 4th wall.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

$6 on Blu-ray at Frys great deal for a $10 million pile of shit.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

This played one showing at our local arthouse theater (on a Sunday afternoon ! ) but I was too busy to catch it.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I thought this was terrible. Like others have said - somewhat of a Scream rip-off, geared towards brats with ADD. There was just too much over the top annoying bells and whistles that gave me a headache.

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I still think this was a $10 million dollar pile of shit.

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I almost had to turn it off about 10 minutes in. Thought I was going to have a seizure.

20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Only paid $6 and still felt ripped off glad I sold it. Lucky for me I was able to get my cash back. The film tried to hard to be hip and cool but failed miserably. It felt like a 80 min Lady Gaga music video on crack cocaine.