Defective Criterion Blu-rays (Blow Out specifcally)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread for this but a while back Criterion had offered to replace discs that were succumbing to disc rot. There were about 8 titles that they offered to replace and that they'd add more as they were made aware of them.

I tried watching Blow Out a while back and the first 20 mins skip like crazy. There's no "bronzing" on the disc so I don't think it's disc rot. I've tried contacting Criterion twice about the issue (over the past month and a half) and have not yet received a response. I assume by this point I'm not going to get one. Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm about to just post it on their facebook wall but only as a last resort. Criterion used to be great with customer service but I'm starting to get annoyed and feel like I'm just being ignored.

~Matt

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

That's a shame, man. I'm almost afraid to check my copy now, but I will give it a spin soon. I'm pretty sure I ordered it through Amazon, but can't remember if it was from Canada or the US. This is, without a doubt, my favorite Criterion blu-ray (at least of the ones I own).

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Makes me glad I bought the Arrow version. I'm sure they will send you a replacement though. Their customer service has alwaya been great.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually went ahead and ordered the Arrow version. Criterion is just not getting back to me (which is really unlike them). It's just the first 20 mins or so of the film that skip. All the features still work. So now I'll have the Arrow for the film/exclusive extras and the Criterion for their exclusive extras. Best of both worlds I guess. I always wanted the Arrow version anyway. I already have their blus of Dressed to Kill, Sisters, Obsession and The Fury.

~Matt