Dee Wallace

Discussion in 'General' started by snowbeast323, Jun 22, 2009.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Here is another impressive scream queen. Dee had notched up quite a few horror films....

* The Hills Have Eyes
    * The Howling
    * Cujo
    * Critters
    * Popcorn

Unlike a lot of "scream queens" Dee was just that little bit older and had a genuine talent for acting.
    I love to watch her...
    What about you?

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

not that i dislike her, but i was never much of a fan....she always seemed kind of whiney to me. and after listening to her do some interviews and commentaries, it sounds like she was a bit of a handful on set...nervous breakdowns and the like. as much as i did love howling and cujo, i think she'll always be remembered as the mother in ET.

3. njh

njh New Member

Loved her in Cujo. One of my favourite female horror performances. Just a shame she is another actress reduced to pretty poor films nowadays.

4. fuadramses

fuadramses Guest

Don't forget The frighteners!

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've been a fan of hers for years. She's in a good 20+ films in my DVD/VHS collection.

She's been in a number of crappy movies in recent years, but thankfully she made them a little more watchable.

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I've always liked Dee Wallace. Her two stand-out performances are The Howling and especially the distressed mother in Cujo. Her acting has been, albeit, not superb, but solid.

7. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I went to junior high in the early 80s and from that experience, I can tell you my friends all thought she was hot! I know, it's bizarre, but kinda cool at the same time. Have kept up with her career since Cujo and have even caught her in a few family tv-movies.

8. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have watched several of her movies, and, in fact, own several movies. I also saw her in person about 2 years ago. She is a Kansas City, MO native. I do own, The Howling, and Cujo on DVD.

9. Yeah, same here. I mean I like her enough, as a hardcore genre film completeist, but she's hardly my fave actress. She is a tad whiny, and her interview a few weeks back on www.deadpit.com wasn't my favorite call-in from a big genre name. However, she's already. I got The Howling special edition from an MGM genre film boxset that also includes Carpenter's The Fog and DePalma's Carrie. And I got the first Hills Have Eyes and three or four other of her most noteable films as well. Two copies of Rob Zombie's much malated Halloween redux as well. Funny that on her deadpit.com call in radio interview, she laughed and admited she DID NOT at all like Alexander Aja's (Haute Tension) take on the Hills Have Eyes remake, which I really dug, cause she "doesn't like Slasher movies at all", and yet, I wouldn't really call it a Slasher entry as a life long Slasher & Giallo fanatic & collector.

Mean while, she was in Rob's film, before the sequel, as the doomed Mrs. Strode/victim, and yet she claims she doesn't fancy'em, huh? Okay. Some people are just themselves and ecentric. Just wanted to add I thought that was kinda odd/interesting.

Anyway she's fine, but just not in my top ten Scream Queens/Genre Film Actresses/Fangoria: Horror Hall of Famer's, ect.

10. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

She reminds me of my Mom when she was younger. So as a kid when I saw movies with her in them, I always imagined Mom acting the same way in those situations. Meaning I guess she could survive 3 days in a car with a huge rabid dog outside!

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Very good actress.No one has mentioned it but she was great in THE FRIGHTENERS.I liked her husband too,the late Christopher Stone (also in THE HOWLING and CUJO) ,may he rest in peace.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

good call, the frighteners was excellent, and she was very good in it.

13. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i met dee wallace and she signed my cujo dvd. she was super nice compared to some of the other stars that i met on the same day and i was happy with the meet.

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I've always loved her work and agree that her performances elevate a lot of the tripe she does. Her reactions are always spot on and she makes a great victim.

15. swr2777

swr2777 New Member

It's so nice to see discussion of this wonderful actress here on the forums.

I understand people's somewhat differing opinions about her work. As a young horror fan in the 80's, I also (like some here have mentioned) found her to be somewhat whiny and her on-screen vulnerability intermittently off-putting.

However, in retrospect, I have realized that Ms. Wallace (in my opinion, anyway) is a very fine actress with a unique penchant for sensitivity and vulnerability in any given performance. It's almost easy to take this quality in her work for granted, because she really does emotionally expose herself completely - to the extent that, were any of us in those real life situations with her character(s), we might be urging her to calm down (or, lo and behold, "Sto' it!").

Looking back, her performances in CUJO and THE HOWLING alone reveal a fantastic level of acting skill, and rarely seen vulnerability...especially within the confines of our much-maligned genre. (Stephen King was even quoted as having said that he felt Dee deserved an Oscar nomination therein.)

For those interested in knowing more...
    Dee has had a very interesting life, which was originally defined by a great deal of personal, professional, and familial trauma. The kind of suffering that we would often see so skillfully displayed by her on-screen was not terribly far from the suffering that she lived off-screen. She was very sensitive, vulnerable, and easily damaged by the memories and experiences of her past, and the ever-present politics and disappointments associated with the acting profession. Like many of us, she suffered from enormous bouts of low self-esteem and self-worth.

After a somewhat hit-and-miss career throughout - around the time of THE FRIGHTENERS, I believe - she made the decision to start an acting studio in L.A., as she was nearing the age of 50 and fearing that this was ultimately the end of her acting career as she knew it. It was in starting this acting studio and committing to the task of teaching and grooming other young actors that she found her true place in life as a healer and teacher. The acting studio went on to have great success, and in doing so, Dee actively embarked on the spiritual path.

Though she has since shut the studio down at large, she still teaches privately - and is now a much sought-after lecturer on the spiritual and holistic healing circuit. She's a very active contributor to Spiritworks Church in L.A., and recently published her first book, "Conscious Creation," which came out last fall. Now, she has a new book about to be released as well. But meanwhile, her personal, professional, and spiritual affairs have all been revitalized and she has since developed a newfound reputation as an iconic teacher - both in the acting and healing realm.

True, the films she's been working on of late are hardly of the same caliber of E.T. and the like, it's really nice to see somebody like Dee, who clearly suffered all of the damaging personal and professional circumstances that can cripple one (especially in a career in which self-esteem, self-worth, and perseverance are critical), finally find her true place in life and flourish the way she has in the last decade or so.

This is not, by any means, "advocating" or "propogandizing" the said lifestyle - but like other actors such as Ellen Burstyn, for example - she was able to heal her life and related affairs, and truly flourish once she embarked on the spiritual path and began to address those issues (for lack of better words) "within." Since then, she's been an enormous asset in inspiring and motivating others in the same way, through her teaching, lecturing, etc.

There's a really terrific interview with her in this below link, on fellow acting coach, Judy Kerr's website:
    http://www.judykerr.com/vid-deewallace.html
    This is a very uplifting interview to watch. Nearing 60 in the video, she looks absolutely luminous, and it's easy to see that the path she's on now has changed her life a hundred fold.

Also, her own website:
    http://www.officialdeewallace.com
    has much great info on all of the above.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  16. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Dee has given me my favourite interview quote of all time:
    "I really haven't figured out yet how to be the character and then not be the character when they say cut (with a little laugh)"

I think thats classic, I sent her a letter last year, and to my surprise I got a lovely reply back, another reason I love her stuff.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well I find that a lot of actresses that do horror films don't like or watch the type of films they make. Doesn't mean they don't respect the genre or the fans, they themselves just don't like them for whatever reason. Some of them are just frightened from watching them, even if they starred in them.

18. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

she is one of my favorite actresses of all time. she looks like one of the sweetest people in the world

19. And of course, I agree. Even still, I chuckled heartedly when I was listening to the interview, cause it was just so out of left field. Of course as a massive genre fanatic & collector, I have grown accustomed to many to enjoying themselves either in the gerne, or the same types of movies from others, ect. It's all cool.

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's funny but she always sticks in my mind with another actress who was popular in that same period,Melinda Dillon (A CHRISTMAS STORY,CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND).I guess they both have played some great "Mom" roles.I like them both.