Dead Ringers: Criterion

Discussion in 'General' started by gusse, Aug 27, 2002.

1. gusse

gusse New Member

How hard is Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers" Criterion DVD to get a hold of? I know that it's OOP but is it as rare as some of the other OOP Criterions?

I have seen the movie and think it's good, and I know of a store here in sweden that has it for sale for about $40. How is this disc, is it worth the money?

I am sort of a sucker for rare/limited stuff like this but I have told my selfe to cut down on the DVD's for a while. Should this be an exeption?

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

It's a good disc Gusse, but not quite as rare/expensive as Sid & Nancy. Dead Ringers and Unbearable Lightness of Being seem, from what I've noticed, to fit in between Sid & Nancy and Robocop/Silence of the Lambs on the rarity scale.

Forty bucks sounds pretty close to retail, but I'm not sure what your $$$ mileage is over there. If it is close to retail, or slightly more, I'd jump on it - it's a worthy dvd. If you're really really strapped for cash, then maybe I'd pass. If you do decide to get it, they had to correct it for some reason, so make sure they have the 2nd printing for you at the shop.

Peace!

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

My local store has this for $36. How can you tell if it is the second pressing?

4. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

It's definitely worth getting.

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Watts, you can tell by the fine print on the back at the bottom of the cover. It will say "2nd printing" and the year the dvd was released. It may not actually be at the bottom. Most are, but I think a few may be near the top on some Criterions. Just look for the fine, smaller than the rest, print.

6. Evil Beeker

Evil Beeker Guest

Not to rare

Its all over E-bay but I found it at Borders for $35.00 just 2 weeks ago. I still see Robocop Criterian some places as well.

7. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I've got the second printing. But its a great disc and I like the movie a lot. Very dark and disturbing. My friend thought it was boring. What an asshole......

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I just got this from an DDD, $28.50 shipped.
    I noticed the "second printing" on the back cover and thought I got jacked.
    What was wrong with the first version?
    I'm hoping it's not like Seven Samuri where there was something removed. If it was tech. problems I'm happy.

9. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Seven Samurai is the only one I can think of where you'd want the first printing, but then, that's confusing because SS still says 1st printing on it. They took the restoration demo off, added copy protection, and set the region code from 0 to 1 because Toho were crying about all of it - but they never changed the printing declaration. So when you go find a 1st printing SS, don't go crazy with glee and buy it outright (buy it if you don't have it already though, because it's a great movie). You have to look for the old "big" upc code bar (among other signs). The new ones are tiny, maybe 1 inch long, and the original was maybe 2&1/2 inches long. If I remember correctly, the restoration demo is also listed as an extra on the packaging, so it should be pretty evident.

[​IMG]
    You can't make out the print, but notice how the UPC bar and basic layout is different than the new one...

[​IMG]
    You should be able to see that it says "First Printing", even though this is a later pressing. See also the R1 and copy protection icons.

Aside from that issue, I'm pretty sure that all Criterion 2nd printings, labeled as such on the packaging, are corrections for various reasons. Yes, a first printing is older, which would make a book or comic more valuable, but in terms of Criterion dvds, this isn't the case.

Dead Ringers - 2nd printing corrects problem with no audio on commentary track

A few other examples...

Rififi - 2nd print corrects faulty audio track

Playtime - 2nd print corrects non-anamorphic video extras from playing in 16X9 mode

Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - 2nd print corrects subtitle errors

And, FYI, Playtime is now out of print, as are all of the Jaques Tati comedies. So if any of you are into classic french comedy, you may want to pick these up if you see them, being Playtime, Mon Oncle, and M. Hulot's Holiday.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Thanks Mutley!
    I forgot that all the SS said first print, but I looked at the extra features list first.
    If the commentary wasn't on the first print, then I''m very happy to have the second. That was a strong reason to buy it in the first place for me!
    I know exactly what you mean about the comic reference on first prints and errors. Some great examples of that not working in dvd are Platoon and Zombie. Both carried huge price tags when out of print, new/better versions make them worthless! Sell your Dawn Of The Dead dvds before word gets out on the up-coming 3 disc!