Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by buck135, Sep 14, 2016.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have one. I'm looking forward to getting this set.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's my least favorite of the three. Argento removed much of the humor and used more of Goblin's music.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I don't have a 4K player yet but didn't want to pass up this set which still includes 5 standard blu-rays.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Argento's use of Goblin's music can be very hit and miss. It's a shame that's the cut getting a 4K scan. I'm curious to see how it looks though.

buck135 likes this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree about Goblin's music for the film. To me, this piece is irreplaceable in the film:

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

While it is classic I must say that piece of music isn't really my thing. Sounds like something I'd hear watching Charlie Chaplin.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I just recently upgraded to a uhd blu-ray player & tv. Have been blown away by how good my standard blu's look on this new setup, it is terrific. But as for uhd blu-ray's, I've only seen one so far, Labyrinth. Was totally engrossed and excited by how that looks with HDR activated...beyond words. A must see to believe!! I honestly think HDR is more the reason for that mind blowing visual experience, not so much just the added resolution (Netflix looks great in 4k, but not anywhere near the level of a disc with HDR enhancement). Now I want everything I own on an HDR enhanced 4k disc...it never ends!!
    Not seeing HDR on this upcoming Dawn of the Dead release or the previous Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not to mention Argento cut-only on 4k import. I'll just keep praying the USA labels will start opening the floodgate on releasing retro horror titles in 4k with HDR. They will be phenomenal!!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, imagine how Suspiria would look with HDR :)

I agree that HDR is one of the bigger advantages over blu-ray, since we also get better contrasts and shadow details, making darker scenes better etc, and also no annoying banding artifacts.

An example of banding:
    [​IMG]

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The back cover of the set has been revealed:

[​IMG]

Steel76, buck135 and russweiss like this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

So the extended version is going to be the "Cannes" cut, not the 156 "Ultimate" cut. With these European releases you're not always sure what you're going to get from press releases alone.

Amazon.it told me to make sure the funds are there 'cause it's shipping soon. It's been far too long for me since I've seen DotD and I've never seen Argento's cut, so this should be fun. Love Goblin. Kinda tempted to watch it full frame like the good old days. :D

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I guess so, at least according to that back cover which comes straight from Amazon.it. I posted the announced specs back at the end of September earlier in this thread, and the Cannes cut was listed there as the longest cut appearing in this set.

I've personally never seen the 156-minute cut though, has it ever even been officially released before on a home video format?

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No, it's a fan edit titled "The Extended Mall Hours Cut." All of the scenes from all of the cuts were combined. I managed to snag a decent dual layered copy several years back, but this new 4K set is going to put that DVD out to pastor. It's on YouTube if you want to take a look:

Katatonia likes this.
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From my understanding all the home video format releases of it are unofficial, most of them from Germany (well Austria), and I'm guessing Rubenstein had finally laid down the law because they haven't pop'ed up for years and years. Way back when someone made me a DVDR of one such disc, but it's not on my bootleg shelf so I'd have to start from square one myself if I wanted to see it. I think I watched it, and as I recall, the snippets of extra dialog where in German. And at over two and a half hours it does become somewhat tedious. There's some extra nudity though? Maybe? Or am I just thinking of the better DVD transfers revealing nipples that were always there just unnoticed?

As I said, way too long since I've revisited. Watching thee ol' Savini Fangoria doc again on the Just Desserts disc this past week has really given me the itch though! This release's timing could be better for me. Going to have to throw on Day too.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You are correct about the 156 minute cut only being released in Germany and Austria. I never noticed any German in the fan made Extended Mall Hours Cut. The scene with Gaylen Ross sitting up in bed with Flyboy determines on which transfer you're watching. Some are brighter than others. I have never seen nudity in any other scene in the film.

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I ordered the set; there's no telling when this Rubinstein joker will ease up on his demands that someone pay him a fortune for the rights for a Blu-ray upgrade in the US. Nobody told him to blow 6 million dollars on a 3D conversion nobody asked for or wanted.

SilentScreams likes this.
  16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The whole thing is so strange to me. Who puts up their own money to convert a film to 3D? Lucas didn't even do that with the prequels, for which he certainly afford a loss (which he didn't despite the less than stellar results on Episode 1). I've said this before, Rubinstein is a very smart businessman, albeit shrewd and unlikable.

17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Shalom!

buck135 likes this.
  18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'll have to wait and see reviews. I have burned copies of the Japanese set because I wanted the other versions in HD but I wasn't willing to dish out what they were asking. Turns out they're pretty mediocre (definitely a step up from SD) but I wanna see how this set looks.

I actually really like the Argento cut.

Don't think I'd be able to sit through a 156 minute version, though. The movie is long enough as it is.

~Matt

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The only time I complain about long movies is when I'm not watching them.

Just watched Polanski's Tess 2 months ago. It's 3 hours. Felt like it was over in half that. (Hell, I watched Mick Garris's The Shining last month and that's 4 and a half hours long. Again... time went by like nothing.)

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually really like Tess. It's a gorgeous film.

~Matt