Dated effects and snobs

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more.

2. Fumi

Fumi Member

I don't mind dated effects - heck I've got almost the complete Dark Shadows TV series on DVD and love it :D My wife doesn't mind either, we both grew up watching that stuff. But she refuses to watch anything that's in black and white because all that old stuff is boring lol.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

So she's hasn't even seen Barnabas' first appearance?

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watch a lot of older films with my kids and they never comment about the effects. My wife is usually good about it too, though unless it's something really bad like the Creeping Terror, then we all chime in. LOL It's actually refreshing going back and seeing practical effects. CGI dates movies a lot more than practical effects. Seeing movies from the 90s with CGI can be very painful and that really takes me out of a movie. Hell even CGI now does if it's not done right.

5. startide

startide Member

Dated is fine. Bad is not. One of the very reasons I hate cannibal films so much is because the effects in them are so bad. Ugh. I have no tolerance for that kind of stuff.

And for the life of me I can't figure why they do CGI when physical effects would not only be cheaper, but far more convincing. Makes me wonder if special effects will go the way of the dodo only to be replaced by the CGI machine? Criticise Bruce all you like, but how would Jaws go if it were made today?

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

There's charm to it all and context to it all, it honestly depends on the movie and the audience. My earliest movie theater memory is Super Fuzz, with what is supposed to be a giant bubble-gum bubble that's obvious as a hot air balloon or something related to such, any and all effects are forgiven. Let the kids like what they want, even if it's nothing more than Pixar video game stuff. I can't explain why watching Terence Hill mixing something in a bowl behind a John Wayne poster is movie magic any more than a kid watching a "Cars" related Sate Farm commercial when a car farts a jingle and suddenly everything makes sense.

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I admire Jackson's Kong but it doesn't make me cry. Cooper's Kong has that power.
    That says it all, I think.

8. Fumi

Fumi Member

I think we may have watched some B&W episodes together, it's mostly just movies she has a problem with. I was going to pick up The Bat with Vincent Price out of the bargain bin once, but it was taken out of my hand and put back in the bin :lol:

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My girlfriend is weird about old school effects. She hates anything animated and won't even watch The Simpsons with me, but she loves, absolutely loves the original Clash of the Titans. Ironic in that she hates stop-motion 99 out of 100 times.:rolleyes:

Of course the only thing worse than stop motion to her is bad CGI, but she still watched and enjoyed the comedy of Piranhaconda and Jersey Shore Shark Attack (hated Mega-Piranha, but loved Aja's Piranha).

I've given up trying to figure her out. Now it's just "you might like this, I have no fucking idea though" instead of "you should like this".;)