Curse of Frankenstein 10/15 + Devil Rides Out, Mummy's Shroud & Rasputin 10/22

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jul 28, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Are there any rumors as to when Warner Archive is expected to drop Curse of Frankenstein? I only assume that they will at some point as they did for Horror of Dracula earlier this year.

And after reading this thread, one hopes that Scream Factory will release the original, non violated cut of the Devil Rides Out soon.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hard to say but Warners said they're working on it. Some people have a pretty good feel for when Warner releases their archive releases but I'd expect it to follow the same plan as Dracula with a late November announcement and release mid-December. Fortunately there is no missing footage, alternate opening titles, etc, to add back in so there should be no controversy here. So long as Warner does the same level of restoration to the transfer as they did on Dracula it'll be the one to get.

Scream would release Devil Rides Out with both cuts but will Studio Canal let them? The previous Blu-rays have only had the 2012 enhancements so I wonder if they would. It might even be a sticking point for Shout and would explain why we haven't seen it yet (although we're early in the SC cycle of releases yet).

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Devil Rides Out would seem to fall under their Hammer deal, not their StudioCanal deal.

StudioCanal only controls US rights to the following titles, per Kino Lorber Insider:

The Horror of Frankenstein
    Scars of Dracula
    Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde
    Lust for a Vampire
    Demons of the Mind
    Straight on Till Morning
    Fear in the Night
    To the Devil... A Daughter

Hammer, itself, seems to control the US rights to the following titles (copied from copyright.gov Document Number: V3629D145):

X-human and russweiss like this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Great info. So it's the other way around then; it's extremely unlikely we'll get the alternate version released here stateside because Hammer's probably not going to bother negotiating for said restoration. From what I understand they're still as cheap as ever.

And, if I recall correctly, it was the Producer who pushed for the enchantments not the director Fisher who's long been dead.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Oh, I don’t know. 8 years is a long time. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see at least a new 2K restoration like Frankenstein Created Woman. It isn’t as if they permanently altered the original negatives or interpositives.