Curse of Frankenstein 10/15 + Devil Rides Out, Mummy's Shroud & Rasputin 10/22

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jul 28, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well the reviewer seems to believe 1.85:1 is the correct aspect ratio because of Warner's involvement. This is somewhat doubtful but in any event all things being equal 1.66:1 would be MORE open then 1.85:1 not less. So if anything 1.85:1 would be the tightest. Since they have the unmatted full aperture to work from there's really no excuse for this.

There's some comparisons with the Warner DVD here: http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum...-OF-FRANKENSTEIN-bd-UK-on-October-15th?page=2

It looks like they were simply haphazard in their 1.66:1 placement and that's probably why they felt the need to go 1.37:1. It looks like the 1.37:1 has more top and bottom but less left and right compared to the 1.66:1 they've done. Since the transfers are otherwise nearly identical it looks like both were modifications of a much larger original transfer. That's not so unusual however.

At least with this fans could feasibly create their own correctly framed release from the 1.37:1 transfer. Devil Rides Out fans are not so fortunate.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm just glad "Dracula Prince of Darkness" is awesome. An excellent blu-ray.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hammer has posted a pretty long winded "Nah-ah!" in response: http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=166

My favorites are the title screens which look perfect at 1.66:1 but they claim to be "tight" when there's perfectly dead space in the 1.37 framing exactly fit for cropping. But here is the real beauty:
    :fucked:

That's right, the filmmakers wanted their film to look like crap. It was their intentions all along.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, Hammer's getting senile in its old age.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

those captures make it look like the icon disc is horizontally squished. everything is noticeably thinner. thats why there's no new info at the sides, but less at the top and bottom. bummer.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Someone posted screenshots of an unmatted Japanese LD:
    While the poster indicates it to be zoomed on all four sides to my eyes it shows more of the top of the frame (in the graveyard there are more tree branches above the vulture) while still being severely cropped on the three other sides. If such an image is so severely cropped on three of its sides I would imagine the top to be fairly cropped compared to the original film frame as well. I suspect the HD master may be cropped more at the top then Hammer realizes.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

am i going insane, or is there some slight speedup going on throughout both versions of Frankenstein and the bonus film, Four Sided Triangle? I'm talking about on the BD. Aren't BD's supposed to be completely free of speedup, since they're not encoded with PAL? Can anyone else who is sensitive to speedup comment on this? Anybody have any ideas why this might be occurring? It's slight, but it is definitely there. Looks like I may have to just consider this disc as a purchase made strictly for the supplements. Really disappointing treatment of the film itself.

8. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Just keep your Warner DVD's everybody. Nothing to see here. Neither the 1.37 nor the 1.66 version look any better than Warner's ten-year-old 1.85 DVD. In fact, the new Blu looks worse sometimes.

9. Risky1975

Risky1975 New Member

i have got all the studio canal releases and they are amazing... love em... i don't see why so many people are freaking out about the TDRO the extra effects have no affect on the the enjoyment of this movie for me.. it like 2 second of a change ... the transfer is amazing.. love it i very pleased with all the hammer releases.. even if they come out in the us with some of these i doubt the will be as packed with extras as these are... now as far as the TCOF yeah the color is a bit washed out but it;s def worth it for the new supps!!!
    GO HAMMER!i loving it all...

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i held off on watching The Curse of Frankenstein for a while after getting it, after all the poor press it was getting. i was mistakenly under the impression that the 1.37:1 print was a cropping of the 1.85:1 print from the WB dvd, but that's not the case, I was happy to see. The color may be a little desaturated, and its by no means a sharp image, but to my eye it was a definite improvement over the image on the dvd, at least in terms of picture quality. as far as framing goes, i didn't grow up with these films, only discovering them later in life, so i don't have any established preference for the 1.85:1 version. seeing more picture at the top and sides on the 1.37:1 version just makes the film feel more open. in the scene that directly follows the credits, of the baron's tutor riding his horse through the mountains, the matt painting in the background of the baron's mansion is all but completely cut off in the 1.85:1 version. in the full-frame version, you can actually see the whole building. stuff like this makes the 1.37:1 image feel pretty...correct...to me. i dunno, after all the hulabaloo that surrounded this release, i'm surprised to find that i actually am pretty happy with the picture.

11. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I totally agree with you. I am also pleased with the presentation of Curse and think the transfer is actually nice and filmic. Ok so its a little pale in terms of its colour palette but I found detail at times pleasing. The funeral scene outside the crypt looked gorgeous and the black levels in the later scenes were far better composed than the Warner DVD. I too chose the acadamy ratio as my preference as I found the 1.66:1 whether its correct or not to be very tight in the headroom department in a number of scenes. I recieved my Lionsgate Blu of the 1958 Hammer take on Dracula yesterday. Really looking forward to that one! I hope they then go on to do Hammer's Mummy from 1959. Then we can have all three of the original Hammer monster ficks in HD

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks dave13 and Eddyw78. I'll look to pick this up when it gets a bit cheaper. It's currently $35.00 not including shipping on Amazon.uk. Speaking of Amazon.uk and Hammer blu's, I'm still waiting for Dracula. I hope it gets here today. :eek:

Awesome! No sooner did I write this the post office truck pulled up with my copy of Dracula!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  13. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I bet i know what your watching this evening! Enjoy. I hope to have a look at my copy of Dracula also. As for Curse becoming cheaper its actually getting more pricey. A good £10 more than I paid for it on Amazon.co.uk a few months back.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

damn you Americans and your Saturday mail! I was expecting mine to arrive yesterday, but no dice. Now I've got to wait until Monday (hopefully).

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Crap, you're going to make me order this. I'm halfway through Dracula. It looks the way it's supposed to look. Those that are fans of this and other Hammer films will be very pleased.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Well, we are supposed to lose Saturday deliveries with the exception of packages. Now my copy of Dracula arrived from Amazon.uk in an envelope (with no padding). I don't know if that qualifies as a package or not. The post office is strange. I ordered yet another Dawn of the Dead laserdisc which shipped a few days ago from the next state over and as of today it hasn't even left the state.

17. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I've always had an issue with Amazon UKs packaging. Just a card packet with no protection. My Blu of Django got damaged because of this.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I've been very lucky with Amazon.uk. I ordered the Trilogy of the Dead on DVD from a third party from the U.K. It's been two weeks since it shipped. Damn customs. :) I just finished watching Dracula. I'm very pleased with the filn and it's extras.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've never really had any issues with Amazon UK's packaging arriving with anything damaged, and I order from them quite a bit.

An order from them is actually late now though. It's been 31 days since it shipped, but I chatted with support yesterday and they're sending a replacement and even refunded me the original shipping charge.

It's no surprise that it was a larger/heavier package shipped by DHL Global though...they suck ass. Royal Mail is much faster to arrive to the states.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost