Curse of Frankenstein 10/15 + Devil Rides Out, Mummy's Shroud & Rasputin 10/22

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jul 28, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I must have assumed we talked about it here but I just realized we hadn't so here it is:
    http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/371/the-curse-of-frankenstein-release-date

Hammer originally announced the 1.37:1 framing for a preview screening:
    http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135#comments

It'll be interesting to see it full frame. So long as they include the 1.66:1 that'll be just find.

Also there's Amazon.co.uk listings for The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin: The Mad Monk and The Mummy's Shroud from Studio Canal on Oct. 22nd. Rasputin will reportedly include both a 2.35:1 and 2.55:1 transfer as well.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Region B? fuck. c'mon region A!

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I know .I'm going region free eventually just to get these Hammer blus.

4. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

Damn! Someone needs to get on the region A releases of these now! It's killing me knowing they're out overseas! It's too tempting to go all regions, and that'll bankrupt me...

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've never gone region free for dvd. its always something i thought vaguely about, but never got around to doing - too many region 1 dvds that i still wanted. but stuff like this...this could make me make the switch. it really could. if, as some people say, physical media becomes more of a niche thing, then i'm not gonna see any alternative. do i see warner bros. really pulling out all the stops for these films? as much as i love them (and i do, they're one of my favorite major studios), i just don't see that happening.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Considering Warner Bros. are pulling out all the stops to put the 1953 House of Wax on Blu-ray in 3D I don't doubt that they would release Hammer Horror on Blu-ray too. In fact Hammer mentions that some parts of the new transfer came from a print held by Warner so they are involved in some way with this Frankenstein release.

I suspect, and hope, that Warner is waiting for the restoration of Horror of Dracula to be completed and maybe then release Dracula along with Frankenstein and who knows maybe even The Mummy.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The title of this thread should reflect the fact that these are foreign/non-region 1 releases

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Why? It is digital horror media regardless of region and lots of people are region free already.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Devil Rides Out has digital enhancements added to the special effects:
    http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/28/blog-enhanced-effects-restoration-or-desecration/

You can see some screenshots here: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/28/blog-enhanced-effects-restoration-or-desecration/2/

Hammer has confirmed on twitter that the original SFX will not be preserved on the Blu-ray release:
    https://twitter.com/hammerfilms/status/251310833068544000
    https://twitter.com/hammerfilms/status/251322783953481728

So that's disappointing and will be one less Blu-ray on my shelf. I don't mind a little polish if the SFX are rough around the edges but when you're redoing them like that it's just as distracting as the "dated" originals so you might as well leave well enough alone and put the money to better use.

I've been hopeful that another distributor in the US would pick these up and now I pray that they have the good sense to go back to the original footage if they do.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

UGH, you gotta be friggin' kidding me?? George Lucas-ified Hammer? :confused:

I don't mind a "minor" tweak here and there, or even if they still include the original versions, but those screenshots just look abominable.

11. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Fucking A....

12. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Us Brits use this site also. Yes im looking forward to these especially Frankenstein. I have also sold my DVD of The Mummys Shroud in anticipation of this Blu release Heres to more Hammer on Blu!!!

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Amen brother. I am still waiting for "Dracula Prince of Darkness." One of my absolute favorites.

14. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Already out. Has been for ages. Make.sure if you buy third party you get the newer pressing with the correct lip sync. Maybe better to buy from Amazon directly.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Sorry, my post didn't make sense. I just ordered it a few weeks ago along with Bond 50. It just shipped. I meant that I can't wait to receive it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  16. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Pre-order canceled! :[ Seriously, why the hell don't they just give the option to branch in the original footage if they're going to do this? I really wonder if the people at this company are being assholes or if they're just complete idiots...

17. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I could have done a better job on After Effects.

I laugh at the twitter message "Fisher & Lee were never happy w/ quality of original effects (ran out of budget). We have lovingly enhanced them."

Fisher died 30+ years ago... better leave the film as it was than to redo it without the input of the director... What a lack of respect!

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

lovingly enhanced them? :lol: A dude can lovingly enhance himself as a drag queen, but that doesn't mean he's fuckable.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There's a reason why you ask streetwalkers to lift their skirts before you pick them up. Some of them can look quite fuckable. :sperm:

Anyways, Hammergate continues as the 1.66:1 transfer on The Curse of Frankenstein is severely cropped and nearly indistinguishable from its DVD counterpart: http://www.cathoderaytube.co.uk/2012/10/british-cult-classics-curse-of.html (one needs to scroll down to the very bottom to see the BD discussed)

Hammer's quickly gone from competent and adequate on Blu-ray to overcompensating to the point of bumbling. The early good reviews must have gone to their heads and they felt they could do no wrong. Frustrating.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats disappointing about the frankenstein transfer. i'm not sure i understand exactly whats going on with the film sources being used. am i to understand that the 1.66:1 composition is a cropped version of the 1.37:1 version, and thats why heads and hands are being chopped? so what relationship do these versions have to the 1.85:1 version? i wasn't specifically looking for it the last time i watched my WB 1.85:1 dvd, but i don't remember it feeling cramped. if its just a further cropping of this newly available 1.37:1 version, shouldn't it be even worse than the 1.66:1? i'd really like to see some comparisons of the 3 side-by-side, so i can know just what the hell is going on. regardless, i'll be leaving my pre-order in place, since i really want all the supplements. i'll just have to hang onto my R1 WB dvd if the 1.85:1 ratio turns out to be the preferable way to watch it.

as for the devil rides out, it wasn't at the top of my list of studiocanal blu's to buy. thanks to this little incident, its dropped to the very bottom. i honestly don't see how these decisions get made. who do they think the market is for these changes? the type of person who would appreciate this type of change would not be the kind of person who would enjoy a film like The Devil Rides Out. its just that simple. you'd think they would realize that.