Critters

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Apr 21, 2001.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Still getting it even though seen some reviews says youll either like it/hate it film

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Watched Critters Attack! last night. Not good, but better than Deep Blue Sea 2, which was the last decades late WB straight-to-video sequel I watched. Lots of plot confusion (most of it revolving around Dee Wallace), but I didn’t mind the characters. Some fun puppetry and gore, but the Crites were too large for my liking. I’d rank it second from the bottom of the franchise as I still had more fun with it than part 4.

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So, Critters Attack!

I mean, I didn't hate it and it's probably better than the Shudder series and Critters 4. But I'd also be fine if it didn't exist.

I think Warner got confused by their competing franchises and accidentally thought this was a straight-to-video Gremlins sequel. This time we have a benevolent female critter named Bianca who is clearly molded after Gizmo. They also make a point to show how "woke" they are, because this female critter is out to stop the male critters from starting war and killing everyone. Eye roll so hard I saw brain. A straight-to-video Critters sequel is not exactly the place to be topical. There are genre movies that handle this subject matter intelligently and creatively, and then there are movies akin to reading an angry Facebook post in response to no one. Guess where Critters Attack! falls?

The topical subject matter where Critters Attack! hilariously knocks-it-out-of-the-park is its college students. The lead character has been repeatedly rejected from her dream college, while all her friends got accepted. Yet when the critters roll onto campus, the lead character has survival instincts while all these college kids are self-important and ultimately useless. Hilarious and sadly true (and I went to college!). The sluggish first hour of the movie does pay off with a fairly entertaining final act.

When the movie ended, I just kind of shrugged and moved on. It doesn't have that charm the original series had (even if I liked it more than 4). I don't think most filmmakers know how to replicate that anymore. It's not a bad one-time watch, but whenever I watch the series going forward, I will probably always stop after 3.

Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

This is pretty fun once the carnage starts up, but it's pretty lame otherwise. The movie looks cheap and the acting is pretty poor from the lead girl, the cop, and everyone at Leroy university. The kids weren't great, but I wanted to smack them less. I was also very annoyed by the multiple scenes where the kids need to prove to someone that aliens are real
    while the girl had an alien in her backpack the entire movie, just turn around and point to it you dumbfucks!

I was happy that the Critters appeared to be made using mostly practical effects, apart from a few far away shots, and probably that giant ball of them at the end.

fceurich39 likes this.
  5. sade

sade Active Member

Also
    They won't miss a chance to push their SJW agenda down your throat.
    - The "good" critter is a female fighting the male invaders.
    - Dee W. turning into Sarah Connor.
    - All male characters are either weak or dumb AF.

We got the message Hollywood. Male + White = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Steel76 likes this.
  6. fattyjoe37

Hilarious seeing all the political talk in a Critters thread, but that's 2019 on the internet for you. Does it really bother people when women are portrayed as heroes? We've had 100 years of cinema with men being badasses no questions asked, but as soon as a female Critter is a hero or Dee Wallace shows up with a gun it's all "SJW! Not all men!"

7. CPT HOOK

^ When you have to bring your movie to a screeching halt to verbally state your thesis, you might be doing it wrong. Isn't "show, don't tell" a thing?

I think Dee Wallace would have made for a more interesting movie than the one we got, but unfortunately she's barely a cameo here. In fact, it sort of proves how disingenuous the movie's feminism is. It's not dissimilar to Halloween '18 selling itself on the return of Jamie Lee Curtis, then relegating her to a supporting character in her own movie.

To be honest, I'm more interested in feminist horror behind-the-camera (female storytellers and directors) than having feminism mansplained to me by male writers and directors in a Critters movie.

8. sade

sade Active Member

I guess like some folks watch FoxNews and don't see the propaganda BS, the same goes for the other end of the spectrum with Hollywood. You wanna sneak in a message in there? be subtle ! I don't wanna my horror movies to be vehicles for every fucking social issue.

9. fattyjoe37

Hmm, maybe the movie was more overt about that stuff than I thought, but never once did I feel like I was being preached to so the fact that it was brought up twice on here struck me as odd. Now I'm not gonna watch it again to check, it was a pretty bad film regardless of any message it was trying to say. I do agree with you both, subtle is the way to go, but as our differing reactions show, subtle to some is overt to others.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. CPT HOOK

Please don't subject yourself to Critters Attack! again on my behalf.

I can't speak for sade, but the only scene I found aggressively overt was when the movie stops and a character flat out explains the writer's intention with the Bianca character. Such an incredibly groan-worthy moment. It's just lazy and condescending.

I did like what the movie had to say about higher education. Which it did by showing, not telling.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I tried to watch Critters Attack the other night and didn't make it far before turning it off. It was painful. Terrible acting and cheap feeling, I can't imagine it gets much better as it goes on. What a waste. I was hoping for something with similar entertainment value as Leprechaun Returns but this was basically unwatchable.