Criterion's "Godzilla The Showa Era" blu-ray set

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Jul 25, 2019.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

EIGHT-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES
    High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
    High-definition digital transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the U.S.-release version of Godzilla
    Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla from 1962
    Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
    International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
    Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
    Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla’s special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
    New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
    New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
    Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
    Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
    New English subtitle translations
    Trailers
    PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly, and Chris Wisnia

Erick H., buck135 and gobad2003 like this.
  3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

This will be what finally kicks off my deep dive into Godzilla. Already grabbing the films from the other eras as well as stand-alones featuring characters later used in Godzilla films.

Right now I've got on order:
    Kraken's release of Godzilla 1984
    Lionsgate's OOP release of Godzilla vs. Biollante
    Godzilla 2000 and all the Sony double features from the Heisei and Millennium era
    Mill Creek's Mothra steelbook
    Sony's The Rebirth of Mothra trilogy

Besides the American remakes and Shin Godzilla, what am I missing from the live-action films? I know I need to grab Frankenstein Conquers the World and Rodan, but those seem to only be available as expensive DVDs on Amazon. Are those the releases I need to track down for those particular films?

buck135 likes this.
  4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

That covers all the live action G films.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the packaging...

And also, it would be good to know, if it's the new 4K transfers, or if it's the old HD transfers?
    The old transfers had really washed out colors and black levels, and looked more like upscales.
    Even the 00:s movies looked really soft, with barely any fine details.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They finally did it. And I'm no snob, I love me some rubber suited monsta mash, but for Criterion to select a Godzilla boxset as No. 1000 is interesting. The head of Criterion could have wiggled any number of releases to be 1000. So it's quite purposeful. Will be fun to read some of the high brow backlash. :D

I'll like to know more about that. Last I heard the singular footage from the Japanese theatrical version exists only on 16mm home versions. It is what it is and I can accept that. But when rumors first swirled about a possible Criterion release this was foremost in my mind. What will be be getting? Will Criterion push harder on this point? After all to license this they will need to work through Universal and that allow adds another layer of headaches. Would it be worth their time?

The lack of ballyhoo regarding the transfers has me worried. Toho is notorious for supply lackluster transfers and refusing to allow outsiders to do their own telecine or work from the original masters. Criterion was able to get some good results with Gojira and took the next step to acquire the rest of the franchise so I had hoped they had a good relationship and worked out an agreement to do new 4k restorations with Criterion's input. But I have serious doubts.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Toho did a 4k restoration of KKvG. I haven't seen it so I can't talk about how that footage looks. Not sure if that's the source of this version (if it was, I suspect it would be touted as such).

8. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'm VERY interested in the Japanese-release of King Kong vs. Gozilla. I had finally picked up the Universal Blu ray last week and just watched it over the weekend. It reminded me that I have a crappy bootleg DVD of the Japanese-release somewhere in my basement. I was gonna go digging around for it but now I won't have to!

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm excited about this release and will certainly buy it right when it comes out, but I do wish it had just a standard box packaging. I like the artwork and everything, but it seems like that set will be easily damaged, plus it's really tall and will be hard to store on a shelf.

Steel76 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Dude, WHAT?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are unreal, man. :cool:

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I like the artwork, but not the style of the package, with the discs in sleeves.
    Rather have a regular boxset, with the new artwork.

Workshed likes this.
  13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I don't have much interest in Godzilla movies but I did enjoy Destroy all Monsters and I do love a good, comprehensive set like this so I'll probably pick it up after release, assuming it drops in price like the Bergman box.

buck135 likes this.
  14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

There's a guy on Blu-ray.com that's making custom covers that will fit in the normal Criterion cases. He's working on individual covers, and since there are multiple movies per disc he's made 2 covers for 4-disc cases which you can see here:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=319810&page=34

They aren't finalized, but I think they look great so far. I'll definitely be using those so I don't have to worry about ripping the package or scratching the discs.

fattyjoe37 and Steel76 like this.
  15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mon...wDOkc7uIlpRp7lqjKoGadaxVZ6FDwhRDBF5OF9oGJmFhw

Workshed likes this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm not the least bit surprised. Toho is being Toho. I don't care about English dubs as I will only be watching with the Japanese tracks; I just hope they subtitle the literal Japanese and not the English dub. Criterion should be pretty good about that though so I'm not too worried.

I'm still disappointed we're getting the same old masters. It was possible the reason why those old transfers were unceremoniously dumped on streaming was to generate more funds to do a proper restoration. But I knew that was wishful thinking based on what we know of Toho. Hopefully Criterion has access to the original scans; but I wouldn't be surprised if they're left just trying to fix Toho's digital "restorations" instead.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That is still good to know. Thanks for all this info!

18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Probably old news, but DiabolikDVD is listing the set pre-order for 149.99.

Still not enough for me to blind buy. Criterion or no, this is a wait and see for me. This really will have to be a definitive set, with stellar transfers and audio/subs, to get me to re-buy/upgrade.

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I already own about 20 Godzilla films on blu-ray, including five titles that will be in this set. I'll certainly be buying it but want to see if I can get it around half off suggest retail price.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well at a 50% sale it'll be $112.50. That'll be $7.50 each (not counting Gojira '54 / Godzilla '56 twice as some may). Sounds good to me.

My main thought is that we already know Toho is doing new 4k scans. So these are already behind the times. Do I want to buy this when I know Toho has already moved on to bigger and better things? Since Toho is a stick in the mud about extras we don't even have some unique extras with these.