Criterion to release Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now - February 10, 2015

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Go on caps-a-holic.com and search for the film. They have better screenshots. You can see where all the film grain has been scrubbed clean. Leaves everything looking "waxy" and lacking in detail and depth.

~Matt

2. dressedtokill

dressedtokill New Member

It's beyond me way some people continue to defend the awfulness known as the UK release. It seriously looks like shit in every possible way and the Criterion edition trumps it any way possible. I would say that the only downside is that they didn't include the terrific commentary from the director, but I guess all the interviews and the FAQ make up for it.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

From looking at these screenshots overall I'm liking the UK disc. The darker scenes look better on the criterion but the daytime scenes which there is more of look better on the UK. The pic looks more vibrant with more definition and has a higher bitrate. Even DVDbeaver which is normally my go to when choose editions picks it as a tie.

I haven't compared them in motion but hearing some say the UK looks like shit seems ridiculous.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...disc1=5503&disc2=5504&hd_multiID=2246#auswahl

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_65/dont_look_now_blu-ray.htm

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I own both Blu-rays, and the Criterion transfer is hands down far superior. The UK Blu-ray looks like fucking shit in comparison.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't see how people think the two transfers are even comparable. I too own both and the UK transfer is fucking abysmal. See it in motion, it looks even worse.

~Matt

6. Katatonia

I have to say that the new "4K restoration" by StudioCanal looks fantastic and even the Blu-ray of it blows the Criterion Blu-ray's transfer out of the water in all areas... and I thought it looked quite good.

Screen comparisons between the two Blu-rays can be viewed here: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13317&d2=13322&c=5221

There are 4K comparisons up also, but those do not always seem to translate as well in stills with HDR/Dolby Vision.

The 4K/Blu-ray/Soundtrack CD Combo Box Set appears to have already sold out quite quickly (within a month) – so I'm glad I grabbed a copy straight away.

It is worth keeping the Criterion disc however, as it includes various bonus features that aren't on the StudioCanal release.

Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Glad to hear that the new transfer is such an upgrade, though I'm not sure I will re-buy this one again.

Angelman and Katatonia like this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I feel this movie is massively overrated. Has it’s merits but it’s not one I love.

gobad2003, sinister and Myron Breck like this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I really need to watch it again, honestly. I bought the DVD and watched it once; like you said, I liked it but didn't see the Big Deal. I bought the Criterion bluray when it came out but haven't watched it yet, which I'll probably do next month. Often I am disappointed with a movie on first viewing but then end up loving it.

Angelman, gobad2003 and Katatonia like this.
  10. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I agree, I thought the movie was just ok also when I watched it years ago and I have the Criterion blu so I think that's sufficient enough for this movie. I've made way too many double and triple dips lately and I need to draw the line somewhere.

Angelman and Myron Breck like this.
  11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I will say though, this is probably the most gorgeous restoration of a classic film yet on 4K. Honestly the picture is just absolutely stunning it was expertly encoded, I believe it was done by David Mackenzie (he does a lot of Arrow’s encodes).

I can understand people not being into the movie, it certainly is an acquired taste (a slow burner for sure) but it’s one I’ve always loved and it has one of my favourite Pino Donaggio scores.

~Matt

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, like others I definitely need to see this again. I heard a lot of good things and pretty much knew the twist but didn't really enjoy it like I thought I would. Now I barely remember it.

13. Katatonia

It's definitely a slow-burner movie to watch more than once to fully appreciate. I was underwhelmed the first time I watched it also, but on repeat viewings I absolutely love it.

Zombie Dude, Matt89 and Myron Breck like this.
  14. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

This is horror movie as art movie. The first sequence is one of the greatest in any movie.

Katatonia and Matt89 like this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's definitely an arthouse horror film (not surprising really, considering Roeg was the director). It's so beautifully shot and also has much in common with Alice, Sweet Alice, and Alfred Sole has said himself that DLN was one of his biggest inspirations for ASA. I always think of them as cousins in a way lol. And both films got stunning restorations this year (and were released a week apart) so the timing couldn't be more appropriate.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.