Creepy & Eerie comics

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

After reading through this thread for a while now, I finally got off the fence and ordered Eerie Archives Volume 1, and will likely order more in sequence, slowly over time. Looking forward to it!

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

that's awesome!

4. pdw

pdw New Member

Baggio, cool!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I missed the Creepy panel yesterday. No cheap copies of the Archives on the dealer floor, or even discounted ones. They're going for list price. Boooo. Did find a few sellers with some old 70s issues, about 10 bucks each. I might grab some before the convention is over.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Didn't get any Creepys or Eeries at the con. I know if I had looked deeper, I might have found some people selling older individual issues, but I only found a couple, with just a handful of issues no less that $10 each. I'm better off on E-bay. Also only found one booth with any Archive reprints from Dark Horse. They had a few copies of Eerie Archives #4, which I've heard is a low water mark in Eerie's history. The price wasn't bad, $25, but it's kinda hard to lug around heavy books all day so I chose not to.

I did get a few newer horror-themed comics though.
    Crawl to Me TPB (signed by the artist)
    Hack/Slash Omnibus
    Godkiller TPB#1
    The Stand - American Nightmare (hardcover)

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There are quite a few reprints in Eerie Archive #4, but if you have yet to purchase any of the archives then you might not walk away disappointed. The reprints are pretty good. It's the fresh material that's lousy. But I wouldn't know any of this first hand because I skipped from Volume 2 to 5.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm enjoying the double-digit archives much more than the middle single digits.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Well, Eerie Archives Vol. 11 was a bit of a letdown.

[​IMG]

I admit I don't LOVE the Hunter stories, and The Spirit stuff doesn't do much for me at this point. The Spanish influence on the artwork, though, is superb. Still, I'd skip this one.

Creepy Archives Vol. 14, however, was great! The stories are much more "mature" (if that can be said--perhaps "adult" is better), and the artwork...wow. Severin, Corben, Wrightson, Sanjulian, and more. This is one of my favorites. Worth it!

[​IMG]

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Creepy Archives Vol. 16
    [​IMG]

WOWZA! Look at that lineup. I've only just flipped through this and it's a visual winner. Beautiful pages and layouts. The archives are getting into the more "serial" era of the stories, which can be daunting, but these just keep getting better.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Finally. Was able to find some decent prices on Creepy/Eerie Archives at Comic-Con. Not at the Dark Horse Booth, you can believe that. But I found a couple independent dealers. One was doing 25% off hardcovers, which isn't bad, but isn't great either. A few booths down though, someone had 50% off. Now we're talkin'!

So I got Creepy Archives #13, and the collections of Bernie Wrightson and Richard Corben. Really good stuff. I might get one or two more on Sunday if there's still some left, but they do get heavy in my messenger bag.

Then, I attended the Creepy/Eerie panel later in the afternoon. Nothing earth-shattering, except they did show a "sizzle reel" of Chris Columbus' planned Creepy movie(s). It looks pretty good, although it's really just a lot of effects shots in order to get a movie greenlit. We're still a good 2 years away from actually seeing one. They claimed a release date of July 2016, but it was quite clear they were just screwing around with the date. I think they said July 11, who knows if that even falls on a Friday.

Anyway, I got some good reading ahead of me....and it's only the first day of Con!

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Awesome, Paff! That Corben collection is especially good.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Thanks for the update Paff - I've really started to get interested in those artists - I bought Dark Horse's Frankenstein with the Wrightson images a few years ago. it's a cool book.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bought one more Creepy Archive today, #12. I was tempted to get #10 too, but I passed. I figured five Creepy-related purchases was enough for one weekend. Summing up I got:
    Creepy Archive #12
    Creepy Archive #13
    Creepy - Best of Bernie Wrightson
    Creepy - Best of Richard Corben
    Creepy #10 (Dark Horse reboot )

$80 total. Not bad.

15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

damn that's a good price!

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Really enjoying some of these Creepy books. Some of the stories are really dark and nasty, far more extreme than that Eerie Archive I bought a couple of years ago.

Also had no idea that the Dario Argento-directed episode of Masters of Horror, Jenifer, was based on a story that appeared in Creepy.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yep, awesome trivia!

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Anyone know if it was ever published as a short story, or only written for Creepy? That would be kind of cool if it's only appeared in Creepy, and in Argento's MoH episode.

I haven't cracked the cover of the Corben or Wrightson best-ofs, yet. I'm sort of saving them for later, as I know they'll be good stories all the way through since they're hand-picked. The Archives are basically just reprints of the original issues, and sometimes there's some pretty weak entries (like any anthology collection)

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

quick wiki check says:

I cannot find any info stating that the comic is adapted from a prose work. Would love to read if it were!

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Good call-out for Eerie Vol. 14, which releases this week:

[​IMG]

Via TCJ

As I own both the El Cid and Hunter collections, this volume isn't as exciting to me.