Creepy & Eerie comics

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Been digging Eerie Vol. 8. The artwork in these and the newer Creepy volumes has a very European influence, and I really enjoyed the "Stranger in Hell" story in the Eerie volume.

There's also a "definitive collection" of Bernie Wrightson's work from Creepy and Eerie from Dark Horse. B&W and color pages, covers, etc.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I bought a number of volumes earlier this year but am currently taking a break. They're expensive! So far I own Creepy Archive 1,2,7-9 and Eerie Archives 1,2,5,6. I'll probably buy some more next spring or ask for a few for Christmas.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think you have a pretty comprehensive look at the series so far. If you are choosing where to fill any holes, I wouldn't focus on backfilling the collection. Creepy 10 and Eerie 8 are where I'm noticing a change in direction and often in artistic variance. Might be worth investing in where the books move to next.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I grew up reading both series so I know all about them. I still own about 50 or so of the original issues. The gaps I have are there because those Volumes are loaded with reprints and while I may eventually get around to them I wouldn't cry myself to sleep knowing that they've gone out of print.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I should have re-visited this thread sooner. I made horror-based comics my #1 interest at Comic-Con back in July. I attended the Creepy/Eerie panel, and that was a lot of fun. They had some great giveaways, but it was all based on trivia questions that I had no clue on. One guy was a real fanatic, and took most of the prizes. And it wasn't like he was being a dick about it either; once he won a couple, he stopped answering the questions so other people would have a chance. But no one else raised their hand, so he'd eventually chime in so that they'd have a winner.

I didn't get any of the archive volumes there though. Most were being sold at list price. I'd be better off on Amazon. I did find some vintage sellers though, and picked up a couple of individual issues from the 80s I think. I still have to go through my haul.

Finally, I got the first collection of the "new" Creepy from Dark Horse. Read a couple of stories so far, and it's not bad.

I do hope to get more Archive Collections, once I find them at a reasonable price, and I've whittled down my reading stack a bit.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nabbed Creepy Volume 11 this weekend! Gonna make for a fun October read.

[​IMG]

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Check out this upcoming release:

Eerie Presents: Hunter

Sounds fun! Anyone familiar with this character?

232 pages, hardcover, $19.99--releasing in April 2012.

[​IMG]

aside: check out the cover art for Vol. 10:

[​IMG]

:eek2: :lol: To Catch a Werewolf?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Eerie Archives Vol. 9

[​IMG]

Dig that cover art. The Esteban Maroto art is top-shelf, too.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Creepy Archives Vol. 12

[​IMG]

Haven't had a lot of time to dig into this one, but it's worth noting that Richard Corben has a color sequence in here, which is really fun.

Upcoming releases:

Creepy Vol. 13 (July) features contributions from John Severin (RIP).

Creepy will also do a collection to spotlight Richard Corben's work in July:

Sounds goooooood!

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

About where does this fall in year-wise? I read Eerie Archive #4, from the 60s, and it was a little too tame for my liking. But I recently read a Creepy issue from 1980, and it had a little more edge. I'd like more of those.

11. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

There are five issues per volume, so I'd put Volume 13 sometime in the mid 70s.

The 1980s issues of Eerie/Creepy were mostly reprinted material from earlier issues, if memory serves.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Can check on exact dates tonight.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

1973-1974

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Eerie Archives Vol. 10

[​IMG]

Maybe my least favorite cover so far, but this is absolutely knock-out inside. Wow. The artwork has become so sophisticated @ this point (1973). Plenty of variety in the stories and styles; really happy with where this series is at this point.

Plus! Two full-color "board game" spreads are included.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I received an early look at colorist Jose Villarrubia's lengthy and entertaining introduction to Creepy Presents Richard Corben. Wow! Incredibly exhaustive and filled with educational footnotes, the essay covered Corben's incredible early catalog. I learned a lot and it gave me plenty to hunt for in terms of back issues and previous collections. If you are a fan of Corben's, hot damn, you are in for a treat with this book.

[​IMG]

Releases next month from Dark Horse.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

And speaking of Creepy, how about lucky Vol. 13?

[​IMG]

This volume marks the arrival of Bernie Wrightson. Have not gotten much further than that, ha, besides a few flip-throughs to find Corben's work in color. Love this one.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll have to see what I can find at Comic-Con next month. I'm talking about the independent sellers who start marking things way down on the final day. Not the Dark Horse booth, where everything sells at list price, and list price only. Even 5 minutes before the convention closes and they've got tons still on the shelf.

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I never understand that practice. It must be cheaper to ship back home than sell at a steep discount, I guess. I suppose it's a fine line betw. wanting your booth to look beefed up with books (and look like a big publisher) and wanting to act like a retailer.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I think that's it. They're not really there as retailers, in fact they'd probably prefer to not sell anything at all (though I'd still think they'd rather sell the stuff at a discount rather than pack it back up). They're there as more of a promotional thing, and have stock on hand so people can look at it all. Even if they buy it elswehere.

But the indie dealers? They want to move as much stuff as possible and not have to haul it back home after a long-ass weekend. Man, Sunday afternoon you can clean up on older stuff.

So I'll see what Creepy and Eerie I can grab. With more of those Archives getting released, there's more to be had, and that's a good thing.

20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

If it is like game conventions, publishers and distributors are usually contractually obligated not to undercut the prices of retailers - which is generally a bad business practice anyway, when you're basically undercutting the people you are more or less relying on to put your product on the shelf. This is generally the reason why you rarely get bargains at any publisher booth - and why you instead often get publisher exclusives.

Having said that, any publisher should *unofficially* be willing to cut a deal on the last day of the convention. Especially if you have become the only source of the product on the dealer room floor. The cost of shipping the items back is a *significant* factor, better to eat a little bit on the sales profit than lose more in shipping. As long as in doing so you're not pissing off the retailers you need to keep you in business.