Creepy & Eerie comics

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Feb 26, 2007.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No apologies necessary. You didn't know, and my pleasure in these reprintings isn't degraded in the slightest. It's merely curious, that all. Why didn't they do the original ads as is? Is it some sort of measure to counter bootlegging? I'd love to know.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

man, I can't wait until Eerie Vol. 3. I devour these things in weekend gorges.

3. maybrick

In the past month as a Christmas Gift I got Eerie Volume 5 and I used some X-mas money to buy Volume 2. So so far that means I own Creepy 1-2 and Eerie 1-2, 5. As suspected I've fallen pretty far behind as Creepy has 8 archives already out but at the moment I'm more addicted than ever! The later issues are better so I'm looking forward to picking up the latest editions and working my way backwards. How are you doing at keeping up so far, Workshed?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll post more about this later (read: when I'm sober), but I was walking by a used bookstore and they had Eerie Archive volume 2 (Dark Horse) in the window for $12.50. Needless to say, I bought it. A lot of fun, albeit predictable stories. Still, I dig the artwork, and you can't beat that price.

5. maybrick

Yeah, after reading both Creepy and Eerie Archives 1-2 I can honestly say that even though I enjoy a lot of it, I'm tired of Archie Goodwin's writing (the man wrote virtually all of the stories while he was editor). From here on out I'm going to be buying the most recent Archives and working my way backwards just so I can get a little more variety. The stuff from the '60s was okay, but I and a lot of other readers feel that the Golden Age of Warren magazines didn't occur until the early '70s.

6. maybrick

Quoting an older post here, but what the hell... I agree. You can't compare the Marvel Essentials to the Creepy Archives. There are a lot of Marvel Essentials that I'd love to own, and often I've found myself in stores with the intention of buying Tomb of Dracula or Werewolf By Night, but when I open it up and see all of the unattractive B&W newsprint I always put it right back on the shelf and walk out. The volumes are affordable, but I just know that if I bought it I would probably never get through the entire thing. Same as my DVD collection, I expect the best possible treatment of the source material when I purchase trade paperbacks and hardcover volumes of vintage reissued comics, and the Essentials just don't cut it. And having the stories in B&W when they should be in color is akin to having your favorite film presented in the wrong aspect ratio. Also, which would you rather pay for and have on your shelf: a cheap budget bin copy of Night of the Living Dead, or the higher priced official Romero approved transfer that has been lovingly restored? No contest!

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Really glad to hear you are still reading these, Maybrick. I agree that Goodwin's stories can be a slog after multiple volumes, but I kept up through Creepy Vol. 6 and Eerie Vol. 3 (where the intro by Gail Simone admits this is the series' low point). Your note about it getting better from here is encouraging, and the intro by Don Glut in Eerie Vol. 5 suggests the same. It's a great intro, too. I want more from former contributors talking about how they got into the mags.

I received Eerie Vol. 5 and Creepy Vol. 8 this season. They've always been fun to open and get lost in. The artwork is top-notch, crazy stuff. I'm only missing Creepy Vol. 1. I borrowed it from a friend and read, but I never purchased it--it's fantastic, though. I'm going to start Creepy Vol. 8 tonight.

Creepy Vol. 9 looks to be coming out in March 2011. Any thoughts on what appears to be similarly-styled Vampirella Archives coming out from Dynamite?

It also releases in March 2011. I'm unfamiliar with the character--aside from her costume--and wonder if these classic stories are any good.

I really hope they drop the DYNAMITE eyesore on the title dress. Why would you ever cover up that artwork?

[​IMG]

Edit: and good thread bump!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I once found a small stack of original CREEPY and EERIE magazines on a job site,a house that was about to be demolished.I still have them in storage somewhere.

9. maybrick

I'm intentionally skipping Eerie's 3-4 and Creepy 4-5 because of the number of reprints they hold (Eerie stories began appearing in Creepy and Creepy Stories began appearing in Eerie). I'll probably go back and buy them once I'm caught up on the others for completist's sake, but they're not a priority to me. Once the 70s came, all sorts of hell broke loose and the magazines finally began showing the kinds of gore EC Comics was once known for. Like, check out this cover:

[​IMG]

Regarding Vampirella, I was never really a fan mainly because almost all of the stories revolved around her. It was basically a straight forward superhero comic with supernatural elements rather than an anthology series like Creepy or Eerie. Or at least that's what I recall. I'd read them if I found them at the local library, but they weren't the kind of thing I'd be willing to pay in excess of 30 bucks for. From what I hear, Dynamite won't be including letter's pages or ads like Dark Horse has been doing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I do want to see some of those so-called "Golden Age" Creepy and Eeries. The volume I have is pretty innocuous. I remember it being a bit darker and gorier, but of course, that could be me building it up in my mind over the years. I was reading it in the 80s, these are 60s stories I'm reading.

Now if only there were some place, some kind of convention or something devoted to old comics in my town....

11. maybrick

My birthday is today so I got exactly what I asked for: Creepy Archives 7 and 8. (well not exactly. also asked for Messiah of Evil and Vampire Circus, but the Archives were more expensive.) Just skimming through these issues are far closer to the Creepy I remember from my youth. I especially love the artwork by Richard Corben.

12. maybrick

About 3 weeks ago I preordered Creepy Archive #9 to get a decent price on it, but also because it wasn't scheduled to be released until early April and I knew that I would have the money for it by then. I figured if anything the release date would be postponed, but to my annoyance within a few days it was pushed up by a month instead. To make my money matters a little worse, last week I got another email from amazon that said the release was pushed ahead even further. It's now in the mail to my house even as I type! Admittedly this is a minor complaint and if it was at any other time of the year I'd be more than thrilled about it, but I just got finished paying out more than 2 grand on my car. I didn't really want another credit card bill for a few months, even one as low as $27. Which I guess brings up the one bright side to all of this: at least the purchase price had dropped by $3 since I made the preorder. :)

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Ha! A nice silver lining. It surprised me too. Eerie Vol. 6 looks on track for a March release, but we may see it early, too. I haven't cracked Creepy Vol. 9 yet.

Check out this badass cover for Eerie Vol. 7:

[​IMG]

14. maybrick

Yeah, I had preordered Eerie Archives 6 as well and got the notice on it's premature release, too. The strange thing is that I thought Dark Horse was notorious for continually missing street dates. What the hell is this new work ethic of theirs all about, lately?

So wait a minute: are you saying that you already have Creepy Archive 9 in your possession, workshed?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yep, got it in the mail. :glasses:

16. maybrick

Damn, that's fast. :) Even though my shipping estimate says Friday I think it'll be here tomorrow on account that it's only a state away at the moment.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Mine shipped on the 8th of Feb, I think? 2-Day Shipping. Zipped right to my work address, and those guys deliver it quickly once it arrives.

But really, that Eerie cover. Awesome.

18. maybrick

Yours got shipped a full week before mine even though I pre-ordered it, too? If I wasn't already complaining about the release date being bumped up I think I'd be kind of pissed.

But yeah, that cover is cool.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think Prime members get shipped early in order to hit day-of release dates. but then, since the release date was later, why did mine go early? These aren't the droids you are looking for.

20. maybrick

I've been looking forward to this particular archive for a while because back in kindergarten I had a Famous Monsters shirt that had a picture that was actually from the cover of Creepy #44. I loved that shirt. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make it my new avatar.