Creepshow anthology series from Greg Nicotero coming to Shudder

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jul 18, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I made it to the end of this, and they should have called it Creepshow 3: The Series. Bluntly: I thought this was pretty terrible.

The best one was easily the scarecrow episode. I also kind of liked the "man in the suitcase" episode. As a whole, I think episode 6 was probably the most watchable, as the first segment had fun gore effects and the second was a family drama about the creature of Lake Champlain. For the most part though, this series was pretty tough to sit through. They're cheap, boring, and not very well thought out.

I also thought these failed as homages to EC Comics, which is what Creepshow was. It seemed like the approach was mostly to just do anthology horror.

If you're that curious, maybe check out the scarecrow segment, which is the first half of episode 4. Otherwise, skip it.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

To be honest, I haven’t been keeping up. Lost interest after about the 4th episode. I don’t think that it should have been that difficult to keep it stylistically like the first film but they botched it. A large part is the music, and they should have just recycled the old score as much as possible. The other thing is Creepshow is primarily a vehicle for Stephen King’s short stories. Without him it was just never going to be “Creepshow”, just another TV horror anthology series among many others.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Agreed..... I really liked the Man in the Suitcase, though. I thought that was terrific.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I did think the series was getting better as it went on, but I've just watched episode 5 and boy does this drop, episode 5 is awful, the worst of all, really rubbish stories, I liked the zombie make up at the end, but the rest of it was shit!

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I will have to agree that this series really does not live up to the two real Creepshow movies. Does not capture the feel / quirkiness of them. Does not even succeed on it's own merit if they were trying to break away from the vibe of the originals. Kind of pointless. Production quality was good, but just very lifeless.

6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

This is going to be on AMC next month. Two episodes per day every Monday. It's only six episodes. I'm going to see when the episodes are on demand if they will stay there till October to decide when I'll watch. I wanted to get the two comics and watch the two original movies to make a few days of it during the October Halloween viewing. We'll see next month.

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Always great to see streaming stuff on linear cable. :)

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that AMC is airing this starting tonight.

In fact, the first episode is on right now.

X-human likes this.
  9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

This has a very nice glow in the dark slipcover and booklet for both the dvd and bluray.

10. ImmortalSlasher

I'm going to start watching it soon. I thought they would run it till October but it expires in August. I don't like to bet on if on demand will extend stuff or not.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I have to remember to download this. I keep forgetting it exists. Kind of like the Exorcist tv series I still have on my radar but keep forgetting about lol.

12. ImmortalSlasher

First episode was so so. I thought the first segment would be better with the actors involved. But it wasn't. The second had a good premise but didn't go as far as I thought.

13. ImmortalSlasher

I thought this was just passable. After watching these anthology shows, I always think maybe they aren't for me. I've never seen a really good one. They always have one or two decent segments. But I can't recall a complete show that is great. Unless I just can't remember right now.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

I assume you're referring to anthology movies too. If so I feel exactly the same way. The idea of them sounds good on paper and the variety is nice but I'm yet to find one I really enjoy through and through. Like you say, there's usually at least one or two good stories but never seems to be all of them.

15. ImmortalSlasher

Yeah TV shows and movies. I'm going over this now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_anthology_films

I think Trick R Treat was one of the most hyped ones for me. I love the setting of that one. And I still need to get the Sideshow Sam figure. But all of the stories just weren't at the same level.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

That's a good list. I seem to remember liking Cat's Eye so I wouldn't mind watching that one again. Trick R Treat has a great atmosphere but I never seem to remember it (I've seen it at least twice). I'll probably give it another shot in October.

17. ImmortalSlasher

I've seen it two or three times as well. I got the Waxwork record on sale. I remember people saying it was as good as Halloween. But it wasn't for me. The movie is just really good with the feel of a small town Halloween fest though. I still haven't read the comic. Perhaps that will be better.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

It seems like it captures the Halloween spirit well from what I remember. And this is coming from someone who lives in a country that doesn't really do Halloween. Why anyone would compare this to the movie Halloween I'm not sure? They are quite different lol.

19. ImmortalSlasher

I remember reading that a lot of people love Trick r Treat as much as Halloween. And seemed to put it in the same level. One of those movies to always watch during October. It starts off great. Sam is an awesome idea. Same goes for the girls, although I remember thinking they were something else in my review. But like Creepshow and others there are just too many either silly or not overly entertaining segments.

They don't have Halloween in Australia?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

I don't think many places outside of the US do. It's not fall here during that time for us anyway, it's Spring, so it doesn't feel the same regardless. It's slowly becoming more accepted here but it's nothing like it is over in the US.