Creature From Black Lake

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Aug 2, 2003.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Every week, the local video store I frequent has an email special where they offer 1 free movie from a random category for those on the mailing list. Last week it was horror. Anyways, I usually take this time to rent something I wouldn't normally rent for one reason or another. This time I picked CREATURE FROM BLACK LAKE. I wasn't expecting much of anything at all, just a run-of-the-mill 1970s drive in flick. But in spite of being a heavily washed out, severely panned and scanned transfer, with a title thats a blatant rip off of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and featuring a monster that's more than obviously just a guy in an ape suit, I found a cool forgotten little gem that's very well scripted, highly entertaining, and more than deserving of a top-notch DVD transfer! I love it when this shit happens!

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Is it out on DVD?

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I think this was on cable the other day.

I remember seeing the "creature" who was a gorilla. How stupid do you have to be to not see that it's a gorilla?

I can handle some stuplidity and cheese, but damn!

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

This is sounding more and more like my type of thing (hey, I did just order the Crawling Hand and The Crawling Eye.) :D

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Oh wow you do kick ass. This is like the one movie in the horror section I don't have and or know I don't want. I never knew anything about it so this is a cool tip. I do love my cheese.

6. maybrick

Nope, not that I know of. At least, I can't find it for sale online.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I watched this over the weekend and quite enjoyed it. It's probably the best Bigfoot horror movie that I've seen. Great creepy atmosphere and acting, but an admittedly cookie-cutter kind of plot.

8. maybrick

I really need to revisit this film as I haven't seen it since beginning this thread a decade ago. I have a good quality avi on my hard drive that I downloaded ages ago but still haven't gotten around to.

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Really like this film. I'd put it just below Sasquatch: The Legend of Bigfoot and The Legend of Boggy Creek as my favorite 70s Bigfoot flick.

10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I enjoyed this movie, too. Another good one is Mysterious Monsters. That one really creeped me out as a kid.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of this as my dad took me to see it in the theater when I was a small child.Dad was like that,took me to see GRIZZLY and ORCA too ! I haven't seen LAKE in ages but I would welcome a high quality disc.Lots of character actors in it,the type usually associated with westerns.
    Makes me miss my Dad.

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/synapsefil...72639.193094600718553/924896457538360/?type=1

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

[​IMG]

Way to go, Synapse! It's not at the very top of my wish list, but I will definitely be picking this up. It's horror, it's 1970's, and it's Bigfoot. Yes, please! :D

14. fattyjoe37

Can't wait to pick up a Synapse Blu of this bad boy!

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I've been hoping for years that we would get an authorized release of Creature From Black Lake. So glad that Synapse will be releasing this and doing it right! I last watched this about six or seven years ago and rented the dvd. The picture quality was horrendous. Can't wait to see this film with a nice presentation as I'm very much into Sasquatch. I wish that the original Legend of Boggy Creek could get similar treatment.

16. fattyjoe37

In a few weeks, my Bigfoot film Valley of the Sasquatch will be playing in a double feature with a 35mm print of Creature from Black Lake in Seattle. The show starts at 7 PM on Thursday, October 22nd. You can find all the info here: grandillusioncinema.org

satans-sadists likes this.
  17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Holy crap! Amazon Prime is now offering a decent 2.35 widescreen version of this flick. There are some density fluctuations, and it shows some of the red push you see from unrestored prints, but you can finally see Dean Cundey's uncropped compositions--and they look as good as you'd expect. Like so many other mistreated movies that have only ever shown up in cropped presentations (I've never seen it wider than 1.78), it feels much more like a real movie in this incarnation. The sound quality is better than I recall from the other versions, too. Check it out.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Had a great time watching Creature from Black Lake through Amazon Prime late last night. Much better quality presentation than what I saw on an older DVD years ago. With the Blu-ray release of Legend of Boggy Creek coming soon, it gives me hope for Creature from Black Lake. I have no idea if this is still happening from Synapse?

Mutilated Prey and Katatonia like this.
  19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the Synapse version died due to elements they deemed unacceptable. But it certainly seems like someone could color correct the print used for the Prime version and clean up the worst of the damage (bad only around the reel changes) without investing a fortune. If the elements really are insufficient for 1080p, maybe Synapse or someone else could put out an SD-only version (like Synapse did for Coffin Joe). It'd be a huge improvement on the versions I've owned or seen before.

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just got through watching Creature on Amazon, and it looked fairly good. We're talking similar to a typical Code Red transfer here, from a film print with scratches and lines at various times during the film... but it's at least in the proper aspect ratio and more than serviceable to watch.

I would imagine that a Blu-ray could definitely be made from this source.