Cord cutting

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by shape22, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

f.ramses likes this.
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I was amused when I saw that on slashdot the other day because to me it just seems like an ironic, desperate attempt to keep cable tv "relevant" by using better access to the thing that's going to someday kill it as an incentive to keep it.

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I have pretty much cut the cord a few years back and didn't realize it. I still have cable as the hubby watches it but I have no interest. Even my favorite tv show I just read in transcript online. I find myself using my laptop more for everything, or as I call it my "VCR/Typewriter combo". I use the dvd player on the side mostly, and subscribe to no services, as I really enjoy poking around on Youtube (I refer to it as YouHF in texts to friends) and seeing what really lost old stuff has been uploaded there. Recently had to stay home for a month after busting my arm (that's a whole other story in itself- I was dodging a boulder on a gay nude beach in Australia and had to hang from a destroyed bridge- guess that makes me Pitfall Mary!). Read Ready Player One on the plane home and realized Wow-so that's what I have been at with today's tech. So I cut the cord in my own life and I only watch my old stuff because I jokingly refer to myself as transdecade- deep inside I am still living in 1978. Heck, I only go to 4 or five websites online- love the blog Horrors of it all BlogSpot for old horror comics and it rinses out whatever news I get with my coffee

Workshed likes this.
  4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for giving me some guidance in this thread. I now have 3 Roku units and a Hulu Live TV subscription. My total cable + internet cost is now $125--down from $240 and climbing. Everything is working so well that I'm kicking myself for not doing this earlier. The frame rate is a little slower for sports, but that's about the only negative. I've experienced almost zero buffering issues--even with 2 TVs streaming and Steam downloading on my main PC.

There's no real alternative to Comcast in my area, so I was worried about getting horrific terms from them. Aside from the fact that they didn't want to quote me internet-only prices until I made it totally apparent that I wasn't open to negotiation, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have a 1 terrabyte cap, which should be plenty, speeds over 120 mbps, and my bill is now $79.95. That's with my own modem.

This looks to be a huge win all-around. I'm saving money, I have access to more content that actually interests me (even included on-demand access to a ton of TCMHD content), and I'm getting more value out of my Amazon Prime account. If you've been thinking of dumping cable, go for it!

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I have Comcast too and my one year promo $40/month price us almost up. Believe it is $60 after that. One other provider here but they only offer a fraction of the speed. I will stop by a service center when rate goes up to see if they will give me another deal. $60 a bit too much for my tastes.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Watch out for Comcast rate hikes. My Year 1 promo was $63.85/month for Internet+Landline. After that expired I was paying $90.00/month up until January, and then they opted to hike my monthly fee to $133.85/month.

Luckily, I do have an alternative to Comcast. Unfortunately, that alternative is going back to AT&T U-Verse. :( It'll be a slower, but no amount of speed is worth that kind of price hike to me.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Lots of people, including a friend of mine, had their Comcast bill go up, called Comcast to cancel, and were given a significant discount to keep the service. It's worth a shot but you have to sound like someone who really wants to cancel and not someone calling to pretend they want to cancel so they can get a discount.

Natas likes this.
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

What he said

I haven't had Comcast in years but I had them for a decade. They're softer than baby shit.... it might take being on the phone for 45 minutes or calling them up several times but they'll budge. They'll make what you want happen, or at least in the same ballpark

9. shape22

Since I dumped the vast majority of their services, I'm no longer receiving any kind of discount. I'm not naive enough to think the price I'm paying won't go up, but I don't have to worry about promo rates expiring.

10. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I have been watching cable TV since I was little and have no desire in stopping now.

x666x likes this.
  11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I'm with you there, Nailwraps. When I weigh in the cost of getting HBO etc independently. It all stacks up to being just as expensive for me. My only change in viewing habits of cable is using a PVR.

People were watching TV all of these decades for a reason. Yes there are more options now but even Netflix's line up also suffers from having many viewing options but most of it is expensive garbage. And like most monopolies, they will raise prices when they are one of the few deals in town left a la Amazon Prime.

Admittedly, I agree with many of you here that broadcasting has to stop pricing itself out of the market. So I am not surprised that some of you here want to cord cut. So no judgement here.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

We recently found our HD antenna and hooked it up in the living room. We just discovered Comet TV which basically seems to play old horror and sci-fi movies day and night. Currently watching Child's Play followed by the Incredible Melting Man. It's kinda relaxing to just sit back and watch whatever comes on. Reminds me of how I would discover horror movies as a kid in the 90's. And then there's Svengoolie every Saturday at 8pm on MeTV! Who needs cable?!

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

What about tethering a cell phone to provide Internet? I believe there are lag issues with gaming but if streaming only, I know my tmobile phone offers 50gb of data before it starts slowing things down. Considering how much i have archived to external hard drives, I feel like I can live with 50gb of internet a month.

I do some work from home remotely so that may be the real test for me. I'll have to try connecting through my phone sometime to see how much data I chew up.

14. shape22

Now that I'm several months into the cord cutting experiment, I wanted to post some updated thoughts/observations.

First and foremost, dumping cable is the best home entertainment decision I ever made. If you have a fast internet connection and a good wireless router, you can effortlessly stream HD content on 3 different TVs with no hiccups, even if you're simultaneously downloading data on a computer. I expected occasional glitches or buffering, but those instances are so rare that they're hardly worth mentioning.

If you're going to dive into this with both feet, I highly recommend getting a Roku. Streaming directly from the Roku has worked much better for me than streaming through an HDMI-connnected PC. I had some performance issues streaming even through a good computer, but with the Roku it's smooth as butter.

Content-wise, I feel like I died and went to heaven. Between Hulu and Amazon Prime Video, there's an ungodly amount of horror content available on-demand. Amazon Prime even offers the best-available free HD transfers of flicks like Blood Hook and Blood Rage. The number of obscure titles ready to stream free with a couple clicks is truly mind-boggling. I'm still pinching myself, because it seems like an impossible dream--almost like being transported back to the mom and pop big box video store days.

Then there's the free content. Yes, you have to deal with commercials, but if you can handle that, you can stream Shout TV and a dedicated MST3K channel 24 hours a day for free through Pluto TV. Install the Shout TV app and you have access to on-demand Scream Factory titles, many of their Werner Herzog flicks, and even stuff like Gargoyles. I only recently installed the dedicated Shout app, but it appears that streaming this way eliminates commercials. Install the PBS app and you have free on-demand access to British mystery series like Endeavour. I'm discovering more and more appealing sources of content all the time.

Negatives? You lose some ability to channel surf, but that may no longer be a big problem. Hulu Live just introduced a new grid-style Live TV channel guide for Roku, which makes scrolling through live channels quicker and easier.

My cable and internet bill is now fixed at $125/month--still more than I'd like to pay, but about half of what it was before I made the leap. I order enough through Amazon that Prime pays for itself (I get 5% cashback with my Amazon Chase card, which more than covers the annual cost of Prime). If you have Prime, this is truly a no-brainer. If you don't, you can still save a ton of money without sacrificing much.

Colin, zbinks and baggio like this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't have the guts. LOL I'm a creature of habit, like my channel surfing. News, sports, etc... Just turn on the TV, ready to go. But the more power to you, stronger person then me.

As far as the money, I know it will be cheaper but I don't mind paying for the comfort. I pay around $240 for cable, internet, phone combined. I have all the premium channels, multiroom "cloud" dvr, and internet is 300 mpb down. Have a Roku too(use it for Netflix obvious separate charge), which like you said is great.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Natas and shape22 like this.
  16. shape22

Ha. I don't know about stronger. I've never been a network TV guy, and I just got outrageously sick of Comcast's shenanigans.

You have an awesome safety net if you ever decide to consider the leap. Activate a Hulu Live free trial through your Roku and see what you think. At the minimum, make sure you install the Shout dedicated streaming channel on your Roku. I just watched The Final Terror, and now I'm watching Jack's Back. They're the full uncut versions in HD with no commercials. Seems like a great way to "try it before you buy it" for Shout titles you're not sure about.

baggio likes this.
  17. sinister

sinister Active Member

I thought I was paying a lot for 150Mb internet and landline phone (no TV at all), at £57 or about $75 per month. After reading what you guys are paying I feel a lot better about it. :)

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's like a car loan each month.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't have cable or a landline phone. I do have a basic cell phone that acts as a landline for about $20/month (which I'll likely get rid at some point because it's only there for emergencies, yet always gets lost when we need it). I pay the cable company for internet at about $60/month ($44/month for the first year which is up soon).

$11 for Netflix
    $17 for Hulu w/ Showtime add-0n
    $7 for Britbox
    $5 for Shudder
    $5 for Night Flight
    $0 for CW

So about $55 total for what would otherwise go to paying for traditional "TV". Welcome to the future. I don't ever want to go back to paying more for less value. Paying over $100 for the 5 out of 500 channels you regularly watch is just nuts, especially when nearly a full third of every hour is nothing but ads.

If I have any complaints, it's having to pay $224/month for 3 smart phones and 1 basic.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

You might look into TracFone. It's probably not a good option for anyone that uses their phones extensively, but for emergency use only, it's the cost of a phone (you can bring your own, but they do have some reasonably priced-options for Free - $24.99), the cost of an initial service plan (Minimum: $9.99 for 30 days, 90 minutes, 90 texts and 90 MB of data) and the cost of ongoing service. There's a semi-hidden service option in their checkout screen where you can buy 365 service days (no additional minutes, texts or data) for $49.95, and as long as you keep your service time active, the minutes, texts and data never expire and you can refill those as needed.