Conan the Barbarian (1982) Blu-ray: 8/2/11

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, May 12, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably just edited out of the one scene that's missing.

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I guess but won't that leave the commentary alittle uneven especially if they keep talking about a subject in the missing reel?

3. Katatonia

Maybe, but I don't see how they'd do it otherwise. The Universal Blu-ray has been confirmed on several forums as missing the one scene, but has the old audio commentary.

It almost has to be edited out during that one missing scene, or possibly elsewhere if they discuss it. I haven't listened to the commentary in about a decade now, so I can't really remember where it's specifically mentioned.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

So, it’s been 8 years since this thread. Is this still all that’s to offer? I looked for my DVD but it’s missing. I’d buy a blu I just don’t know what to get.

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I have the 2 film Universal DVD and the Universal Blu.

The Blu is a significant improvement in picture quality, although there is still room for improvement. Unfortunately it commits the unforgivable sin of muffling Basil Poledouris's magnificent score in a misguided attempt to bring the background sounds and utterances to the fore.

An overpowering score was by director intent to give the film an operatic feel, particularly in the early establishing scenes. The result is one of the most rousing, epic soundtracks ever made for an action film. The presentation difference here between the DVD and the Blu is as great as the picture quality difference, only it is the Blu left in the dust.

As such I've kept both flawed renditions, each holding what the other does not, awaiting a definitive edition that may never be made.

Erick H. likes this.
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What about other regions?

Edit: There is an amazon review on the UK site that alludes to the score being fixed on the Complete Quest release from 2017. I have no clue if it is what you’re referring to, but supposedly it has the original mono as well as the stereo mix.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  7. Katatonia

The best ones to get are the import releases. The Australian, Spanish, and French Blu-rays (and various other countries) use the 20th Century Fox release of the same disc, which is far better than the domestic Universal Blu-rays.

They all include the original "Mono" audio track (albeit lossy) plus all of the bonus features.

I have the Spanish Digibook Blu-ray release, which is large and oversized. The actual book part is quite "thick" but entirely in Spanish. There are a lot of cool photos/artwork/posters, etc. however:

[​IMG]

I also have the OOP French SteelBook which includes the original and the sequel:

[​IMG]

maybrick and Steel76 like this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

When you say "far better than the domestic Universal Blu-rays". Are you talking PQ or features? I thought they were the same source Universal and 20th Century.

9. Katatonia

Same basic transfer source yes, but with some key differences as far as the cut of the film + the day-for-night timing corrections and the audio corrections ...

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=18450

baggio and Zombie Dude like this.