Color Out of Space (2019) - Richard Stanley tackles H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale!

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Nov 25, 2019.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Surprised to not find a thread on this one already:

SpectreVision brings you the return of director Richard Stanley (Dust Devil, Hardware) with his take on H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale The Colour Out of Space [retitled as Color out of Space for the film] staring Nicolas Cage. Limited theatrical run starts January 24th, 2020.

Synopsis: A story of cosmic terror about The Gardners, a family who moves to a remote farmstead in rural New England to escape the hustle of the 21st century. They are busy adapting to their new life when a meteorite crashes into their front yard. The mysterious aerolite seems to melt into the earth, infecting both the land and the properties of space-time with a strange, otherworldly color. To their horror, the Gardner family discover that this alien force is gradually mutating every life form that it touches...including them.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just caught this theatrically last night at a local film festival and unfortunately was rather disappointed... As a huge fan of the source material and a fan of Stanley's previous work, I found the film itself quite predictable, poorly written, and derivative (some of the set pieces/visuals are a clear riff off of Stuart Gordon's From Beyond and John Carpenter's The Thing even), and unfortunately the weakest aspect is Nic Cage's performance who is once again doing nothing more (or less) than full-crazy which is getting quite repetitive and stale... Can't say I can recommend this one, but if you're curious definitely wait for streaming.

Colin likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put it on my list after seeing the trailer a few weeks ago and hearing talk of more Lovecraft movies from the people involved.

4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I liked this quite a bit. It's certainly not perfect, but it's still imaginative enough that i enjoyed the hell out of it. It's definitely nice to see Stanley return and he's really taking advantage of the opportunity. I've loved all of his films. I even have an appreciation for Moreau. And I've always thought he was one of the most interesting filmmakers out there.

But, I'll get the negatives out of the way. Long stretches of the film are predictable. But, honestly, this story is around 100 years old at this point and has had such a huge influence on horror and science fiction, that it's going to be hard for it to not seem unoriginal. And, I'll say that it's one of my least favorite of Lovecraft's stories. And, this is the third time this film has been made, so I am a bit tired of it as a narrative. And Nic Cage... OK, it's a good performance if you want to see his follow-up to Mandy. But, I don't think he was well cast here. And a lot of times his performance is just not in tune with the rest of the film. He escalates way to fast and it becomes distracting. But, everyone else is really good. So, it balances there.

On the positives, I thought it was a gorgeous looking film. And the effects work is a nice balance of practical and really creative digital work. You can tell some nice effort went into the practical effects, though I do wish we could see more of them. But the digital effects towards the end are really imaginative and trippy. And the way the landscape changes was beautiful. The score was fantastic. I'd say the score actually carries the film through a lot of the second act. And once the third act kicks in, the score is gloriously overwhelming. So try to see this in a theater with a good sound system. I also have to say that while I don't like the story that much, they do a really good job of updating it to modern times.

So, if you want to see one of the best adaptations of a Lovecraft so far, this will likely please you. But you might be annoyed by Cage. If you wanted to see Cage do another "unhinged" performance, this will likely please you. But the story may be too tired for you. However, if you were looking for the next Shining/Exorcist/(whatever you hold as epics of horror), you might be underwhelmed. The story has likely been tackled directly and in homage too much. But, if you really wanted to see Richard Stanly make one of the best and most deserved comebacks in film history, by all means, get to the theater and make sure studios know this guy can return investment.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I found it quite boring and cage feels an unusual choice for one of the leads. Cage acts crazy.....yawn. I was trying so hard not to play with my phone while watching, I got to the end, but it was a struggle.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Went to see Color Out Of Space last night. It would have been a great 90 minute movie, but pushing 2 hours it becomes a bit repetitive and exhausting. There's some really great horror stuff throughout, not to mention the incredible visuals and setting, plus the cast is really good save for the lazy-ass daughter who stands on the porch drinking coffee while bossing everyone around. Tommy Chong's role was an interesting surprise, although ultimately his character doesn't serve much purpose. That seems to happen a lot in this movie. It establishes that the mom has cancer, but then never mentions it again.

It's super easy to follow, as there's not much in the way of plot. Remote family home, meteorite crashes in the yard, weird stuff happens, then more weird stuff happens, then more weird stuff happens. It isn't long before the weirdness starts moving laterally, never trying to outdo itself, stretching itself way too thin by the end of the exhausting runtime. 20 minutes less of this and it might have been a gem, but as it stands, I'd rather revisit The Curse over this (though to be honest, I'm way more a fan of Curse II: The Bite). That said, it's a much better movie than the wildly over-hyped Mandy.

Certainly not a bad watch by any means, but could have been so much better with a little script work. The rest of the elements are all there. I guess if you've ever wanted to see Nicolas Cage milk an alpaca, it has that going for it?

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Knowing Cage, he probably did the first take of the scene chanting "red rocket, red rocket!".

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This was just ok. I wouldn't watch it again. It's pretty much Annihilation but nowhere near as good.