Color Out of Space (2019) - Richard Stanley tackles H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale!

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Nov 25, 2019.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Surprised to not find a thread on this one already:

SpectreVision brings you the return of director Richard Stanley (Dust Devil, Hardware) with his take on H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale The Colour Out of Space [retitled as Color out of Space for the film] staring Nicolas Cage. Limited theatrical run starts January 24th, 2020.

Synopsis: A story of cosmic terror about The Gardners, a family who moves to a remote farmstead in rural New England to escape the hustle of the 21st century. They are busy adapting to their new life when a meteorite crashes into their front yard. The mysterious aerolite seems to melt into the earth, infecting both the land and the properties of space-time with a strange, otherworldly color. To their horror, the Gardner family discover that this alien force is gradually mutating every life form that it touches...including them.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just caught this theatrically last night at a local film festival and unfortunately was rather disappointed... As a huge fan of the source material and a fan of Stanley's previous work, I found the film itself quite predictable, poorly written, and derivative (some of the set pieces/visuals are a clear riff off of Stuart Gordon's From Beyond and John Carpenter's The Thing even), and unfortunately the weakest aspect is Nic Cage's performance who is once again doing nothing more (or less) than full-crazy which is getting quite repetitive and stale... Can't say I can recommend this one, but if you're curious definitely wait for streaming.

Colin likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put it on my list after seeing the trailer a few weeks ago and hearing talk of more Lovecraft movies from the people involved.